or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 329

post #4921 of 7790
^ navy looks badass
post #4922 of 7790
Typhoon weather calls for Dainite sole:



C&J Chelsea 5 boots in Roughout Suede.
post #4923 of 7790
i love your avatar
post #4924 of 7790
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

i love your avatar

 

Heh. It's a self-portrait. Created, as I recall, using the South Park Avatar Creator.

post #4925 of 7790

New to the forum, but not to Crockett and Jones footwear. Just curious about the CTBrummie last post. I don't recognise those boots as Islay or Mallory. Can this be clarified?  The first looks like Skye. I don't recognise the second. Very like a Coniston. Would like to know...... 

I have had my Coniston for some ten years. Brilliant boots, very elegant country wear. My cordovan Harlech are the epitome of style. As I type I am awaiting the delivery of Purdey dark brown scots grain built by Crockett and Jones on the 325 last (ie Conistons by another colour).

 

 

carpe diem

 

 

 

 

 

post #4926 of 7790
Its the navy Coniston. New for the year.
post #4927 of 7790

Just received delivery of my Purdey scotch grain boots. Not as heavy as my Coniston, thinner dainite sole. I think the leather is not as good quality, but my Coniston were made ten years ago - perhaps standards have slipped, or maybe Purdey contracted Crockett and Jones to downgrade the leather for these. Most of the numbers on the lining match my old Coniston. I'll have a decide if I will keep them. I'm hoping if I hang onto them, they will buff up better than they look now.

 

 

carpe diem

post #4928 of 7790

Five or six years ago I bought two pairs of Grasmere shoes - one black, one tan. I'm very fond of country grain and like them a lot - the last suits me very well. Last week I bought another pair of black Grasmeres - the original pair are still in quite good order but had become quite scratched.

 

The new pair appear to be made from a rather different grade of leather - the pebble grain is somewhat more defined, which I like, but the leather seems rather stiffer, which I'm uncertain about. I'm quite sure the original Grasmeres were always softer, it's not a question of their having become softer with age.

 

I would be grateful if C&J's spokesman could comment on whether the sourcing of their leather could have changed in this time.

post #4929 of 7790
Quote:
Originally Posted by embromides View Post

New to the forum, but not to Crockett and Jones footwear. Just curious about the CTBrummie
 last post. I don't recognise those boots as Islay or Mallory. Can this be clarified?

Former are definitely Islays; I have a pair myself. The Islay is a higher boot and I think even has an extra speed hook compared to the Skye. The Islay also has a pebble finish whereas the Skye has a smooth upper. Finally, (this really can't be seen with the picture) the lasts are different with the Islay being more generous (at least from my experience) compared to the Skye.
post #4930 of 7790

Yes, you are, of course, correct. I should have looked at the speed hooks. I was misled by the colour  of the boot in the photograph. I tried on a pair of Islays some weeks ago and they seemed to me to be dark brown. I was put off by the brogueing and went for the Purdey version of scotch grain on a 325 last - the roomiest last in my opinion.

http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/mens-grain-leather-boot---dainite-sole-boot8.aspx

 

carpe diem

post #4931 of 7790
Quote:
Originally Posted by embromides View Post
 

Yes, you are, of course, correct. I should have looked at the speed hooks. I was misled by the colour  of the boot in the photograph. I tried on a pair of Islays some weeks ago and they seemed to me to be dark brown. I was put off by the brogueing and went for the Purdey version of scotch grain on a 325 last - the roomiest last in my opinion.

http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/mens-grain-leather-boot---dainite-sole-boot8.aspx

 

carpe diem

 

The Islays are, unworn, a very deep brown that appears almost black. Mine have lightened a lot since I've been wearing them, and I think they look all the better for it! The colour of the laces seems to bring out the lighter tones, too.

 

I love my Skyes but they don't get anywhere near as much wear as the Islay, so I might be letting them go soon. And you're right, the 325 last is a roomy last, although I'd say that the 228 possibly pips it for overall roominess.

 

I've now got a pair of the Mallory boots on their way to me from Cheaney, and 'accidentally' ordered a pair of their shearling-lined Irvine brogue boots for a side-by-side comparison with the navy Conistons. One of these pairs, alongside the special order placed with C&J last week, will be part of my kit for this winter...

post #4932 of 7790
C&JOnline, can you tell me about cavalry calf? Is it corrected grain or is it regular calf with a wax finish? I've heard it has a very "gummy" feel to it.

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/pembroke-burgundy#.UlVi81BKaSo

Quote:
Pembroke Burgundy Cavalry Calf

1.jpg
post #4933 of 7790
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

C&JOnline, can you tell me about cavalry calf? Is it corrected grain or is it regular calf with a wax finish? I've heard it has a very "gummy" feel to it.

http://www.crockettandjones.com/product/pembroke-burgundy#.UlVi81BKaSo

See the following post:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/227575/quintessential-crockett-jones-thread/3630#post_6212410
post #4934 of 7790
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22796246&prodFindSrc=cart&sProdEvar=Shopping+Bag

Can anyone confirm the maker and last of this boot? The website says made in England but goes no further. RL's customer service was no help.
post #4935 of 7790
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=22796246&prodFindSrc=cart&sProdEvar=Shopping+Bag

Can anyone confirm the maker and last of this boot? The website says made in England but goes no further. RL's customer service was no help.

got the answer

disregard above
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **