363 and 358 are about the same length
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:23 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 7/28/15 at 11:25am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:29 pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Yesterday at 5:09 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 322post #4816 of 99009/23/13 at 8:15am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4817 of 99009/23/13 at 8:31amThe Shipton & Heneage Winchester by Crockett & Jones arrived this morning. Here’s a link to the shoe:
I paid $385 - $50 discount + $25 shipping for a total of $360 or a little more than AE retail. The box appears to be the same green C&J benchgrade box without a logo on top plus a S&H sticker on the front. No bags included.
The sole and heel seem identical to my benchgrade shoes. If there’s a difference in leather quality or construction I can’t tell it.
The stitching and perforations are flawless. The perforation pattern around the laces, opening and heel cap are identical to my handgrade Cliffords and equal in precision. The seam at the back of the heel cap of the Cliffords is reinforced with an additional row of stitching but this seam looks the same as my benchgrade shoes.
(Clifford top, Winchester bottom)
The leather quality of the uppers is definitely a notch below benchgrade and more on par with or a little above AE levels. I’m not an expert on leather at all, but there are a lot more little micro-creases forming than I’ve experienced on my benchgrade C&Js.
(AE Delray, Winchester, Hallam)
The insole and leather on the interior of the shoe seems to be identical to benchgrade with one major change - the front part of the shoe under the vamp and toe is not leather lined! The printing reads “leather upper/lining” but clearly the lining is some sort of canvas there. I must admit, his was a bit of a surprise. That part would be below AE standards as the AEs I have are all fully lined. The eyelets are all reinforced underneath like the Hallams.
This is my first experience with the 236 last. UK9 seems to be the correct size for me but it is definitely a bit shorter than the 348 last that my other benchgrade (Hallam, Lowndes, Westbourne) shoes are on. 348 is a long last though.
It’s a nice, well made shoe. It’s not to C&J benchgrade standards but it seems like a pretty decent shoe nonetheless. You get what you pay for and here they compromised on the leather lining at the front and the leather quality of the uppers. The other details seem more in line with benchgrade level.post #4818 of 99009/23/13 at 9:57amThat leather/twill lining is unexpected to me, my Wilton were fully leather lined.
Probably they adjusted the specs to maintein the same (low) price,
(They cost almost the same since many years, few years ago they retail for just 20 £ or so under C&J, now they are under 100£ or more!)
Regarding the leather quality I am not sure they are inferior only for the creases (that look normal to me)
Probably the leather is clicked in a way that use more part of the hide with less waste of material, but it could be the same leather used for benchgrade.
But probably we'll never know the real specs, the shoes are very nice and with great price/quality/aesthetic ratio, enjoy them!post #4819 of 99009/23/13 at 11:10amQuote:
How in the world are there really not creases on those? Do you float across the ground without walking when you wear these? :)post #4820 of 99009/23/13 at 11:20ampost #4821 of 99009/23/13 at 12:28pmpost #4822 of 99009/23/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
Intriguing. My Alden and Crockett and Jones I use shoes trees in. I don't wipe and buff them as often as I should probably. I wonder if my shoes trees aren't large enough for my shoes (even though they are labeled for that size of shoe). Do you upsize on your shoe trees to get them to fill your shoes out more to correct folding?post #4823 of 99009/23/13 at 12:33pmpost #4824 of 99009/23/13 at 12:33pmpost #4825 of 99009/23/13 at 12:40pmpost #4826 of 99009/23/13 at 12:44pmpost #4827 of 99009/23/13 at 12:44pmpost #4828 of 99009/23/13 at 12:46pmpost #4829 of 99009/23/13 at 3:35pmpost #4830 of 99009/24/13 at 1:39amQuote:
Sorry for missing that one... Shipton shoes are all made in the same UK factory, but we would not like to comment on the quality of their branded shoes.
Crockett & Jones Online
Edited by CandJONLINE - 9/24/13 at 3:36am
- ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 2 seconds ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** 37 seconds ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 41 seconds ago
- › 9/9.5E Edward Green Dover and Westminster 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 2 minutes ago
- › Friday Fit Challenge 7/8 "The Black and white Challenge" 5 minutes ago
- › The Wide Fitting Shoe Trading Post (EEE / G width) 6 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 10 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 11 minutes ago
- › What are you drinking right now? 13 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...