or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 308

post #4606 of 8482

Hello gents, thrifted these C&J for Barney's over labor day. Can anyone I.D.? I've tried googling the numbers writtien inside with no result.

 

And is there a term for the type of lace eyelets?

 

Thanks

 

 

 

post #4607 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post

Hello gents, thrifted these C&J for Barney's over labor day. Can anyone I.D.? I've tried googling the numbers writtien inside with no result.

And is there a term for the type of lace eyelets?

Thanks




They are usually called ghillie shoes, or ghillies.
post #4608 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post


They are usually called ghillie shoes, or ghillies.

 

I hope you were aware that such shoes are intended to be worn with a kilt.

post #4609 of 8482

Thanks for the info- I wasn't aware of ghillie shoes.  I've since found a C&J "ghillie" model on the barney's website http://www.barneys.com/Ghilli-Wingtip/501534287,default,pd.html

post #4610 of 8482

I'm trying to work out whether it makes sense to pay a premium of ~$130 for a hand-grade versus a bench-grade. I'm really just looking for a new brown captoe to add to my workday rotation. Should I expect that premium to pay off in comfort, durability, and longevity?

 

As much as I appreciate the craftmanship involved in a hand-grade, I don't think I'll derive much value from the knowledge that my shoes were finished by hand rather than by machine, or from the fact that the shoes will look better upon close inspection. For purposes of this purchase, it'll be more about function, comfort, and value. 

post #4611 of 8482
MTC87, do you have any C&J handgrades already?
post #4612 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTC87 View Post

I'm trying to work out whether it makes sense to pay a premium of ~$130 for a hand-grade versus a bench-grade. I'm really just looking for a new brown captoe to add to my workday rotation. Should I expect that premium to pay off in comfort, durability, and longevity?

As much as I appreciate the craftmanship involved in a hand-grade, I don't think I'll derive much value from the knowledge that my shoes were finished by hand rather than by machine, or from the fact that the shoes will look better upon close inspection. For purposes of this purchase, it'll be more about function, comfort, and value. 

The leather is nicer on my C&J handgrades, as opposed to my C&J "classic" or benchgrade shoes, but apart from that I think that it ultimately comes down to what styles you like and which lasts fit your feet best.

The C&J 337 last fits my feet very well so as a result, I have four pairs of C&J handgrade shoes on the 337 last, as opposed to only one pair on the 348 benchgrade last.
post #4613 of 8482

Journeyman, thanks for the input!

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

MTC87, do you have any C&J handgrades already?

 

I do have a pair, but it was passed down secondhand from an uncle after many years of wear, so the footbed molding was never quite right. If anything, that pair probably gave me an unfairly negative impression of hand-grades. For what it's worth, I'm very pleased with my C&J benchgrades--definitely worth every penny. 

post #4614 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTC87 View Post

I'm trying to work out whether it makes sense to pay a premium of ~$130 for a hand-grade versus a bench-grade. I'm really just looking for a new brown captoe to add to my workday rotation. Should I expect that premium to pay off in comfort, durability, and longevity?

As much as I appreciate the craftmanship involved in a hand-grade, I don't think I'll derive much value from the knowledge that my shoes were finished by hand rather than by machine, or from the fact that the shoes will look better upon close inspection. For purposes of this purchase, it'll be more about function, comfort, and value. 

the premium is not likely to pay off in durability and longevity, and handgrade uses different lasts to benchgrades, so comfort it dependant on your fit.
post #4615 of 8482

My first C&J Wendover on 348 last, my first impression on C&J is they are comfortable from the first wear, and 348 last is very handsome

 

post #4616 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

the premium is not likely to pay off in durability and longevity, and handgrade uses different lasts to benchgrades, so comfort it dependant on your fit.

Agree with wurger on all accounts.

Longevity I would imagine a pair of Loake 1880's would last just as long as a pair of a pair of Edward Greens (one costing 4x the other), if you take care of both of them.

I would buy the handgrade because it has nicer leather (feels smoother, holds polish nicer, and develops a nicer patina over time). But if you prefer a style that only comes in bench grade and not handgrade, I'd definitely choose the bench grade. There's no use not liking a shoe even if it's great quality leather.
post #4617 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzkeren View Post

My first C&J Wendover on 348 last, my first impression on C&J is they are comfortable from the first wear, and 348 last is very handsome



Those look lovely. Who did C&J make them for? Can't find it on their site.
post #4618 of 8482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas0nt View Post


Those look lovely. Who did C&J make them for? Can't find it on their site.

 

it's made for Trading Post in Tokyo, Japan

they've got quite nice collection of C&J, including some of Dimitri Gomez creation for C&J

you could take a look at their website

post #4619 of 8482
A few new C&J for Barneys pickups - unfortunately the Arran boot is too big for me so it'll have to go the way of B&S. angry.gif

Unlined Chukka in burnt orange / rust:


Wicklow boot


Arran boot
post #4620 of 8482
^
Are you sure the bottom pic is of the Arran boot? confused.gif what size did you end up getting?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **