or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 301

post #4501 of 7530
From Facebook, the CJ team directed me to one of their toe shape comparisons.

*
post #4502 of 7530
So 348 and 358 does look a bit different after all...
post #4503 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

So 348 and 358 does look a bit different after all...


348 is a bench grade last , whereas 358 is a hand grade.

There is a new last in town, 369, but only sold in France for now.

http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Ludgate-DarkBrown#.UhIl3J3D_RY

post #4504 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post


348 is a bench grade last , whereas 358 is a hand grade.
There is a new last in town, 369, but only sold in France for now.
http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Ludgate-DarkBrown#.UhIl3J3D_RY

yup, but are they actually different (toe shape wise).
post #4505 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post


yup, but are they actually different (toe shape wise).


Sorry, I have only the 358 in my stable so I can't tell; by the pic above they look the same but there should be some subtle differences... my eye sees the 358 narrower?!

post #4506 of 7530
Hard to tell with the cap on one of them. Always been told my C&J SA in NYC that they're the same shape just different grades.
post #4507 of 7530
I have been told that the 358 has een little more room in the front than the 348. I have 2 pairs of monks in 358 and 4 pairs 348, all with laces. Reckon that gives a different 'feel' as well.
I tend to agree that the picture indicates the opposite..
post #4508 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare1970 View Post

I have been told that the 358 has een little more room in the front than the 348. I have 2 pairs of monks in 358 and 4 pairs 348, all with laces. Reckon that gives a different 'feel' as well.
I tend to agree that the picture indicates the opposite..

The 358 is long, I have at least 1/2" extra space in the front; the 363 has about the same length, not sure about the 348 though.

post #4509 of 7530

My Edgware's (size UK8) are now fully broken in. They fit rather loose however. They won't slip of my foot off course but when I'm wearing thinner socks (like Falke Airports) the shoes just feel too loose. I now wear two pairs of thinner (Falke Airport) socks with my Edgware's, and there's still some heel slippage. With two pairs of socks on, I don't experience any problem's in the toe area, nor in any other area. So for me, wearing two pairs of thinner socks is an improvement in fit.

 

I was in a C&J shop lately and I tried some Westbourne's (just like the Edgware's on the 348-last) in the same size UK8 and I was really surprised with the difference in fit. Straight out of the box the Westbourne's felt like they had a good fit, like there is no need to size down. But my well worn Edgware's (I worn them for +/- 20 full days now) in the same size feel too loose.

 

I guess that an extra pair of thin socks doesn't count as a half size, but with the expierence I have now with my Edgware's and with the leather softening after some weeks, I think I should risk it and size a half-size down to UK7,5 for my next pair. Do you agree?

 

I'm wondering if when a UK8 is slighty to rather loose, a UK7,5 can be too tight, especially in the toe area? I know that, if counted in centimetres (or inches), there isn't a lot of difference between a half-size. What's your expierence? 

post #4510 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuur View Post

My Edgware's (size UK8) are now fully broken in. They fit rather loose however. They won't slip of my foot off course but when I'm wearing thinner socks (like Falke Airports) the shoes just feel too loose. I now wear two pairs of thinner (Falke Airport) socks with my Edgware's, and there's still some heel slippage. With two pairs of socks on, I don't experience any problem's in the toe area, nor in any other area. So for me, wearing two pairs of thinner socks is an improvement in fit.

I was in a C&J shop lately and I tried some Westbourne's (just like the Edgware's on the 348-last) in the same size UK8 and I was really surprised with the difference in fit. Straight out of the box the Westbourne's felt like they had a good fit, like there is no need to size down. But my well worn Edgware's (I worn them for +/- 20 full days now) in the same size feel too loose.

I guess that an extra pair of thin socks doesn't count as a half size, but with the expierence I have now with my Edgware's and with the leather softening after some weeks, I think I should risk it and size a half-size down to UK7,5 for my next pair. Do you agree?

I'm wondering if when a UK8 is slighty to rather loose, a UK7,5 can be too tight, especially in the toe area? I know that, if counted in centimetres (or inches), there isn't a lot of difference between a half-size. What's your expierence? 

I recommend you add a leather insole, like ones from Tacco, half sizes are about 4 mm in difference, not cm.
post #4511 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

I recommend you add a leather insole, like ones from Tacco, half sizes are about 4 mm in difference, not cm.

I'm not sure if the Tacco ones are different, but I bought some Pedag ones and they made a negligible difference in filling up the shoe.
post #4512 of 7530

I find that tongue pads do a better job with mitigating heel slip than insoles, especially full insoles that will lift your foot out of the heel cup. 

post #4513 of 7530
Some last information from David of Pediwear, CJ brand manager;

"All of the Handgrade lasts tend to fit slightly more generously than the Benchgrade lasts, so 337, 358 and 363 are a little more generous than the other lasts. The 337 is a good well-fitting last that fits very much true to size. The 363 although fitting very similarly in the same size is more elongated in shape with a narrower rounded toe so that the shoes are physically slightly longer. The 358 is also an elongated shape; it has the sleek and long appearance of the 348 last but with the extra width of the 337 last, and has a squarer toe shape. In the vast majority of cases customers will take the same size in all of these lasts."
post #4514 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Some last information from David of Pediwear, CJ brand manager;

"All of the Handgrade lasts tend to fit slightly more generously than the Benchgrade lasts, so 337, 358 and 363 are a little more generous than the other lasts. The 337 is a good well-fitting last that fits very much true to size. The 363 although fitting very similarly in the same size is more elongated in shape with a narrower rounded toe so that the shoes are physically slightly longer. The 358 is also an elongated shape; it has the sleek and long appearance of the 348 last but with the extra width of the 337 last, and has a squarer toe shape. In the vast majority of cases customers will take the same size in all of these lasts."

Thanks for sharing sir.

post #4515 of 7530
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post


Hi Crockett & Jones

Is it possible to post a blog article about the different last comparisons, that would help us to determine the style to get. smile.gif

Hi wurger, we may have already replied to you via email as we had a similar request come through our website the other day, maybe it’s just a coincidence.

 

Last comparison online (with photos) is really tricky to do for a number of reasons. Firstly we wouldn’t put up photos of the actual lasts or bottom patterns (for more secretive reasons) and to make a worthwhile comparison using finished shoes, we’d really need the same style made up on every last which would be rather expensive.

 

I see you found the image we mocked up quickly a year or so ago which is a rough guide. Another reference is the C&J catalogue and website, these both show ‘birds eye’ views of the toe shape.

 

If you had any other ideas, we would certainly consider them.

 

All the best,

C&J Online.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **