or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 282

post #4216 of 7540
Finally that tape is being used to do good in the world...thanks for the info, ms.
post #4217 of 7540

new to the forum and thought I would start off with my new purchase-  Connaught chestnut burnished size 8 1/2 E 236 last

.

post #4218 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfoldtieguy View Post

That is the conventional wisdom, and, even if true, I"ll take my peal version and $500 in my wallet. biggrin.gif
The leather uppers of the BB versions are typically not as nice as the HG, but that is just my opinion and not sure if it is fact. Definitely the price difference, especially during sales, gives the edge to BB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Anybody own the Islay boot? I saw it on my recent trip and was really impressed. One of the finest country boots I've seen.
Have had them for a few years. I rotate them with my AS Fordham and Tricker's Stow as my foul-weather boots. Only compliant with the Islay is that it does not have bellows tongue. The grain leather definitely hides the wear and tear well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Finally that tape is being used to do good in the world...thanks for the info, ms.
Yeah, this happens with most of my boots with speedhooks. I usually just take my changes or wrap the laces around the hooks to fill the gaps.
post #4219 of 7540
Question about anyone who owns the Harvard (shell or calf): does the loafer's inside to portion have a linen lining? I was surprised to see that the shell pair I have has shell lining but at the tip has a linen lining. I wonder if this was done because of the lasting/shaping process...
post #4220 of 7540
Does CJ's country boot have bellows tongue in general?
post #4221 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

Question about anyone who owns the Harvard (shell or calf): does the loafer's inside to portion have a linen lining? I was surprised to see that the shell pair I have has shell lining but at the tip has a linen lining. I wonder if this was done because of the lasting/shaping process...

ive seen this in other shoes. It looks soft but its actually really firm. Once I took apart a pair of trickers and pulled out the toe cap reinforcement you describe. Once removed, the toe cap lost some of its shape but I prefer that look on a pair of beaters.
post #4222 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Anybody own the Islay boot? I saw it on my recent trip and was really impressed. One of the finest country boots I've seen.

I own the Islay as well.

 

The Scotch Grain really wears and ages well.

 

 

I also like the fact that it has the Dainite sole.

post #4223 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

Does CJ's country boot have bellows tongue in general?

 

No. The Snowdon boot on a commando sole has one but the rest don't.

post #4224 of 7540
Congrats! That's a heckuva way to start a membership.

If you haven't cross posted already, I'm sure the oglers on the Recent Purchases thread will enjoy your contribution: http://www.styleforum.net/t/79083/recent-purchases

And, Welcome to StyleForum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2times View Post

new to the forum and thought I would start off with my new purchase-  Connaught chestnut burnished size 8 1/2 E 236 last
.

post #4225 of 7540

I might comparing different things, but would you say that the Islay justifies the premium over Pembroke?

post #4226 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post

I might comparing different things, but would you say that the Islay justifies the premium over Pembroke?

I (surprise, surprise) own both the Islay and the Pembroke. I say they have different purposes. I use my Pembrokes for trekking around during rainy days; My Islays are primary worn during REALLY bad weather (e.g., thunderstorms) and I have to get around. The fit of the Pembroke is closer to a smart shoe whereas the Islay is generously sized for a country boot (paired with thicker socks). I do like the taller shaft of the Islay (taller than my AS Fordham and Tricker's Stow) so it offers more support.

Hope this helps.
post #4227 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

ive seen this in other shoes. It looks soft but its actually really firm. Once I took apart a pair of trickers and pulled out the toe cap reinforcement you describe. Once removed, the toe cap lost some of its shape but I prefer that look on a pair of beaters.

I will, for now on, call you "the surgeon" thumbs-up.gif
post #4228 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos View Post

I might comparing different things, but would you say that the Islay justifies the premium over Pembroke?
Isn't it enough justification for the premium because Daniel Craig wore the Islay in the last James Bond movie "Skyfall"? :-)
post #4229 of 7540
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeSpiffington View Post

Isn't it enough justification for the premium because Daniel Craig wore the Islay in the last James Bond movie "Skyfall"? :-)

Judging by the number of Ebay and B&S listings that cite it, it looks like the market says yes.
post #4230 of 7540
I actually wonder about C&J's price differences. The Cottesmore is one that confuses me since it is a BG boot but is pretty much HG price!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **