Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 6:05 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 7/22/15 at 2:19am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 11:25 am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 7/27/15 at 1:53pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on Yesterday at 8:04 pm in Classic Menswear
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 209
Styleforum Top Pickspost #3122 of 98531/8/13 at 10:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by kwhunter
Go bespoke; there is a 1:10,000 chances a RTW made shoe will fit you well in the same size but different last.
I am between an US9.5 and a 10; I bought all my C&J shoes in an UK size 9, all of them.
I still have 3:one on last 363, one on last 358, and one on last 41 (yes, that is a 15 y.o. tassel loafer...)
They are all size 9, the first 2 on the slight loose side, the 3rd is snug, but the last is much shorter. I have a higher instep and sizing down is not an option; I've done it once and it was a pain. I prefer my shoes a little loose than tight; i love my feet and I need them in good condition for many years to come.
1:10,000 chances?post #3123 of 98531/8/13 at 11:37pmSearched a few pages hoping to find the answer but no luck. Anyone familiar with what model this could be? Looks like a Coniston with different eyelets and sole.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #3124 of 98531/9/13 at 3:56amQuote:Originally Posted by raulishere
Searched a few pages hoping to find the answer but no luck. Anyone familiar with what model this could be? Looks like a Coniston with different eyelets and sole. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Probably a special make up for a retailer, it's similar to the coniston but differ for eyelets, last (240 usually used by peal&co) and for the flat welt and double leather sole.
It's really nice.post #3125 of 98531/9/13 at 4:03amQuote:Originally Posted by in stitches
i come to pose a curious question for you CJ aficionados.
i generally wear a US12, so when i purchased my first CJs almost 2 years ago, i ordered them in a UK11. and iirc, that was based off of some light SF reading. i ordered the edgware, which comes in an E width on the 348 last. they were too large, so i re-ordered in size UK10.5. they fit well, but not perfect. definitely closer to being loose than tight. so i might say i should wear a UK10.25 in the edgware. sadly that does not exist.
my next purchase came a few months ago. the westfield. it also comes in an E width, but on the 341 last. i ordered again in a size UK10.5, and they turned out to be painfully tight, even after half a dozen full day wears or so. so i repurchased them in a UK11. which turns out are slightly large out of the box. i put in some dr scholls and now they are just fine, and actually i find the dr scholls insole to be more comfortable than the CJ insole anyways (blasphemy, i know). again, it seems a UK10.75 in the westfield would be perfect, but alas, that size does not exist either.
1. anyone find that no CJ in any size fits them quite perfectly?
2. anyone have similar sizing differences on these 2 CJ lasts, or on any 2 different lasts?
sidebar - this is not a complaint, i love both of my CJs. it is just a curious inquiry.
I have the 348, which I find a bit narrow in a 7.5UK and the 363 boot last, which I find to be nearly perfect in an 8UK. But, with boots, due to the ankle lacing, there's much less chance of heel slippage, which was the problem with the 348 in size 8.
I'm an 8.5US on the brannock. I have narrow heels, so heel slippage is common, but I have flat feet that spread out, so a narrow shoe doesn't fit on the ball, even though it's perfect on the heel.post #3126 of 98531/9/13 at 4:42ampost #3127 of 98531/9/13 at 9:12amQuote:
Looks alot like the C&J for BB Black Fleece boot I have. Mine are dark brown grain calf.post #3128 of 98531/9/13 at 9:34am
Sorry for the late reply, busy day!
At first they were so tight i was going to sell them (picked them up at B&S) but i just put them on during evening when i watched TV and after 2-3 of those sessions they were ok. When i started to walk in them they stretched more and after maybe 3-4 times they got really comfy. Now i can wear them all day but when i got them maybe 2h. I´m happy i didn´t sell them and took a UK7.5 instead.
This is tricky. I always try 0.5 size under what i think is best just for reference so i always feel confident i took the best size. After one year of use i have several shoes that i think i could have gone with the 0.5 smaller size (they fit fine but lost that snug fit) but i know i´ve tried that size and they were too small. So i´ve came to the conclusion that i´m UK 7.25 in most shoes...post #3129 of 98531/9/13 at 4:56pmpost #3130 of 98531/10/13 at 4:18amThe variations always intrigued me. Theoretically, the girth of the shoes from each respective line (HG, BG) should be fairly similar except length and toe shape (since C&J has a set of trees for each line). However, this does not seem the case.
Today: Somerville with matching uppers and shaft in brown calfpost #3131 of 98531/10/13 at 8:03amQuote:
I have the wholecut weymouth in 337 and the Chukka boot Chepstow in 325 so its not really the best comparison, but
I'd say the 325 is roomier in every way.
I dont think you will have any problem with it being too narrow.post #3132 of 98531/10/13 at 8:28ampost #3133 of 98531/10/13 at 8:45amQuote:
Just my experience with both brands, I find (when) you get better finishing with Alden shell and obviously more variety but C&J hands down has better construction, quality, and consistency. Alden does casual better than C&J and vice versa for sleekness.post #3134 of 98531/10/13 at 8:47amQuote:
I have yet to have any quality issues with any of my Alden's but I have read a number threads were people have had. I don't remember reading any threads were people have had quality issues with C&J, but imagine there may be some who have. Not sure if this has to do with more Alden's being purchased or C&J doing a better job of quality control, but I do get the feeling C&J does a better job in regards to quality control.
The one thing Alden tends to get right and better than most if not all others is the luster of their shell.
For me however the choice has more to do with design than questions of quality because so far my experience has been equally great in regards to quality.
Edited by dddrees - 1/10/13 at 8:58ampost #3135 of 98531/10/13 at 1:45pmQuote:
There are several threads and many posts which discuss quality issues of many manufacturers including C&J actually.
However I feel I agree with earlier post regarding Crockett's superior construction.
- ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › ***Story Et Fall Thread*** 8 seconds ago
- › Wolverine 1000 Mile Boot Review 40 seconds ago
- › Crockett & Jones for Ralph Lauren Cordovan (Marlow, Darlton,... 59 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 59 seconds ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 1 minute ago
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...