Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:33 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 6/16/15 at 11:43am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:30 am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 6/25/15 at 7:45pm in Classic Menswear
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 6/28/15 at 9:34pm in Classic Menswear
Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...
Last edited: 6/22/15
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 209
Styleforum Top Picks
Go bespoke; there is a 1:10,000 chances a RTW made shoe will fit you well in the same size but different last.
I am between an US9.5 and a 10; I bought all my C&J shoes in an UK size 9, all of them.
I still have 3:one on last 363, one on last 358, and one on last 41 (yes, that is a 15 y.o. tassel loafer...)
They are all size 9, the first 2 on the slight loose side, the 3rd is snug, but the last is much shorter. I have a higher instep and sizing down is not an option; I've done it once and it was a pain. I prefer my shoes a little loose than tight; i love my feet and I need them in good condition for many years to come.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Searched a few pages hoping to find the answer but no luck. Anyone familiar with what model this could be? Looks like a Coniston with different eyelets and sole. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Probably a special make up for a retailer, it's similar to the coniston but differ for eyelets, last (240 usually used by peal&co) and for the flat welt and double leather sole.
It's really nice.
i come to pose a curious question for you CJ aficionados.
i generally wear a US12, so when i purchased my first CJs almost 2 years ago, i ordered them in a UK11. and iirc, that was based off of some light SF reading. i ordered the edgware, which comes in an E width on the 348 last. they were too large, so i re-ordered in size UK10.5. they fit well, but not perfect. definitely closer to being loose than tight. so i might say i should wear a UK10.25 in the edgware. sadly that does not exist.
my next purchase came a few months ago. the westfield. it also comes in an E width, but on the 341 last. i ordered again in a size UK10.5, and they turned out to be painfully tight, even after half a dozen full day wears or so. so i repurchased them in a UK11. which turns out are slightly large out of the box. i put in some dr scholls and now they are just fine, and actually i find the dr scholls insole to be more comfortable than the CJ insole anyways (blasphemy, i know). again, it seems a UK10.75 in the westfield would be perfect, but alas, that size does not exist either.
1. anyone find that no CJ in any size fits them quite perfectly?
2. anyone have similar sizing differences on these 2 CJ lasts, or on any 2 different lasts?
sidebar - this is not a complaint, i love both of my CJs. it is just a curious inquiry.
I have the 348, which I find a bit narrow in a 7.5UK and the 363 boot last, which I find to be nearly perfect in an 8UK. But, with boots, due to the ankle lacing, there's much less chance of heel slippage, which was the problem with the 348 in size 8.
I'm an 8.5US on the brannock. I have narrow heels, so heel slippage is common, but I have flat feet that spread out, so a narrow shoe doesn't fit on the ball, even though it's perfect on the heel.
Looks alot like the C&J for BB Black Fleece boot I have. Mine are dark brown grain calf.
Sorry for the late reply, busy day!
At first they were so tight i was going to sell them (picked them up at B&S) but i just put them on during evening when i watched TV and after 2-3 of those sessions they were ok. When i started to walk in them they stretched more and after maybe 3-4 times they got really comfy. Now i can wear them all day but when i got them maybe 2h. I´m happy i didn´t sell them and took a UK7.5 instead.
This is tricky. I always try 0.5 size under what i think is best just for reference so i always feel confident i took the best size. After one year of use i have several shoes that i think i could have gone with the 0.5 smaller size (they fit fine but lost that snug fit) but i know i´ve tried that size and they were too small. So i´ve came to the conclusion that i´m UK 7.25 in most shoes...
Today: Somerville with matching uppers and shaft in brown calf
I have the wholecut weymouth in 337 and the Chukka boot Chepstow in 325 so its not really the best comparison, but
I'd say the 325 is roomier in every way.
I dont think you will have any problem with it being too narrow.
Just my experience with both brands, I find (when) you get better finishing with Alden shell and obviously more variety but C&J hands down has better construction, quality, and consistency. Alden does casual better than C&J and vice versa for sleekness.
I have yet to have any quality issues with any of my Alden's but I have read a number threads were people have had. I don't remember reading any threads were people have had quality issues with C&J, but imagine there may be some who have. Not sure if this has to do with more Alden's being purchased or C&J doing a better job of quality control, but I do get the feeling C&J does a better job in regards to quality control.
The one thing Alden tends to get right and better than most if not all others is the luster of their shell.
For me however the choice has more to do with design than questions of quality because so far my experience has been equally great in regards to quality.
Edited by dddrees - 1/10/13 at 8:58am
There are several threads and many posts which discuss quality issues of many manufacturers including C&J actually.
However I feel I agree with earlier post regarding Crockett's superior construction.
- ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Official Sales Alert thread 46 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 3 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 4 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 7 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 10 minutes ago
- › Enzo Custom Clothiers NYC 11 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 12 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 12 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...