or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 192

post #2866 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskl View Post

I am having a hard time deciding whether to get the Skye or Skye 2 boots. I will use these boots mainly for winter and poor weather...

 

Whats your thoughts about this one guys?

 

I'd say neither of those. The calf on the Skye isn't particularly suited for rain (it looks bloody awful when wet!), and I mentioned above that C&J themselves don't consider shell to be a good leather for poor weather footwear.

 

Out of all of C&J boots, the Snowdon is the only one that stands out as a poor weather boot.

 

The Islay and Arran would also do, at a push, although the dark brown Islay model's studded Dainite sole isn't the best when it comes to traction. From my own experience, the Ridgeway is the best rubber sole out of C&J's options in poor weather as the irregular tread pattern (compared to commando or studded Dainite) gives better grip than most in wet conditions.

post #2867 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

 

I'd say neither of those. The calf on the Skye isn't particularly suited for rain (it looks bloody awful when wet!), and I mentioned above that C&J themselves don't consider shell to be a good leather for poor weather footwear.

 

Out of all of C&J boots, the Snowdon is the only one that stands out as a poor weather boot.

 

The Islay and Arran would also do, at a push, although the dark brown Islay model's studded Dainite sole isn't the best when it comes to traction. From my own experience, the Ridgeway is the best rubber sole out of C&J's options in poor weather as the irregular tread pattern (compared to commando or studded Dainite) gives better grip than most in wet conditions.That

That's very informative! I don't think I would use the boots too often in the rain though, mostly in snow. I have some beaters I use in the rain.

 

If they offered the skye in scotch grain, I would no doubt go for them. I have a pair of conistons which I love.

 

I think I will probably go for the Skye in chestnut calf. Now I have to figure out if it is a good idea to start their life with a resole (will their life expectancy be reduced?) 

post #2868 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Navy Lowndes from Barney's.
They look like black in normal light (or what passes for it in Seattle in December).

C&J Cranford Black Calf vs Lowndes Navy Suede. Fairly accurate representation IMO

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
post #2869 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
C&J Cranford Black Calf vs Lowndes Navy Suede. Fairly accurate representation IMO
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos[

Navy looks a lot better in this pic, might have to a make a trip to Barneys and check it out.
post #2870 of 7548
Color help

I'm trying to get some more examples of what this color might look like in real life. Anybody have an idea what official CJ color this is?

http://www.shipton-usa.com/mens/mens-oxford-shoes/blandford-brown-calf-oxford.html

They have a 10% off - effectively you are getting mainline CJ for $350. I wish that had more last selection - of course that may be their marketing approach!

thanks
post #2871 of 7548
post #2872 of 7548

I'm new to C&J and really need help with sizing. I'll probably be purchasing a C&J Ludgate online (no physical stores nearby).

 

I wear a US 9D for my Allen Edmonds Jefferson. What size would this be for the Ludgate?

post #2873 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle13 View Post

I'm new to C&J and really need help with sizing. I'll probably be purchasing a C&J Ludgate online (no physical stores nearby).

 

I wear a US 9D for my Allen Edmonds Jefferson. What size would this be for the Ludgate?

OMG, these should be 40 years old shoes...

 

PS: rule of thumb - UK sizes are ½ size less the US size, i.e. a US9 equals an UK8.5 in most cases

post #2874 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by archangle13 View Post

I'm new to C&J and really need help with sizing. I'll probably be purchasing a C&J Ludgate online (no physical stores nearby).

I wear a US 9D for my Allen Edmonds Jefferson. What size would this be for the Ludgate?

Welcome.
I am TTS US9.5D.
All of my C&J's and John Lobbs are UK8.5E.
However, I happen to have the Jefferson, on AE's 5 last, and I take that shoe in a US9D. The 5 last is AE's longest last.
post #2875 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post

OMG, these should be 40 years old shoes...

PS: rule of thumb - UK sizes are ½ size less the US size, i.e. a US9 equals an UK8.5 in most cases

Actually, I believe that most people size 1 size down except if you have a wider foot.
post #2876 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post


Actually, I believe that most people size 1 size down except if you have a wider foot.

I don't have a very wide foot but I have a higher instep and my size in british measure is a 9; US size is a 9.5 or a 10 sice there's nothing in between; UK8.5 is too tight on my instep.

This is why I wrote "in most cases"

post #2877 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post

OMG, these should be 40 years old shoes...

PS: rule of thumb - UK sizes are ½ size less the US size, i.e. a US9 equals an UK8.5 in most cases

WRONG! I size down is usual. Stop confusing people!
post #2878 of 7548
Folks it depends on manufacturer and your foot.
For me
EG and G&G half a size down
C&J and AS full size down.
post #2879 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwhunter View Post

I don't have a very wide foot but I have a higher instep and my size in british measure is a 9; US size is a 9.5 or a 10 sice there's nothing in between; UK8.5 is too tight on my instep.
This is why I wrote "in most cases"

I, too, go down only 1/2 size.
post #2880 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post


WRONG! I size down is usual. Stop confusing people!

What is wrong, sir? That you have to size down from US to UK sizes? 1/2 to 1 full size depending on many variables? That a US9.5 is a UK9?

Please prove your assertion.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **