or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 157

post #2341 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratorial_Splender View Post

You are misinformed. I know every shoes, style and last from C&J. I have over 2 dozen pairs, THAT is true experience and I am not wrong.

I was informed of Crockett & Jones UK/US sizing standards by Mr. Huqstable, then Manager of Crockett & Jones mail order department (crockettandjones@freenetname.co.uk). I guess its possible that you, a C&J customer, is better informed than a C&J manager but I doubt it. Mr. Huqstable's statement to me is objectively proven by the posts of CTBrummie, Gerry Nelson and The7Ups on page 155.

I am not saying that a person who generally wears a UK9 should buy a US9.5; the person needs to try the shoes on and maybe the US9.5 fits or maybe the US10 fits. I am merely stating C&J's basis for marking the US size on their shoes.
post #2342 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

Oh grow up if you cant take it please refrain from giving it !!!
A Quintessentially English Crockett & Jones Semi Brogue Belgrave in "Small Size!" perfectly showing its style lines and curves i would say !!
Photobucket

In fact, many of these last shapes (can't say this one in particular) have been around for a looong time. When they were made, the average footsize was in the 8 range. It could be inferred that this is the ideal size (at least according to the shoe designers.

Look good.
post #2343 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgreen View Post

I was informed of Crockett & Jones UK/US sizing standards by Mr. Huqstable, then Manager of Crockett & Jones mail order department (crockettandjones@freenetname.co.uk). I guess its possible that you, a C&J customer, is better informed than a C&J manager but I doubt it. Mr. Huqstable's statement to me is objectively proven by the posts of CTBrummie, Gerry Nelson and The7Ups on page 155.
I am not saying that a person who generally wears a UK9 should buy a US9.5; the person needs to try the shoes on and maybe the US9.5 fits or maybe the US10 fits. I am merely stating C&J's basis for marking the US size on their shoes.

In my experience of a dozen C&J pairs including 2 each from Barneys and RL, the US ones are usually marked 1 size up and slightly narrower in width. The one exception is the RL Darlton brogue which is the same width as the E fitting in the UK 325 last and only marked 1/2 size up. For all the others, I take a 10 UK or 11 US and the sizing is extremely consistent across the board.
post #2344 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

Oh grow up if you cant take it please refrain from giving it !!!
A Quintessentially English Crockett & Jones Semi Brogue Belgrave in "Small Size!" perfectly showing its style lines and curves i would say !!
Photobucket

Sorry, I must have touched a nerve with some kind of penis envy. Settle down, it's only your shoes I am commenting about, not your parts.
post #2345 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratorial_Splender View Post


Sorry, I must have touched a nerve with some kind of penis envy. Settle down, it's only your shoes I am commenting about, not your parts.

 

Oh do troll off, there's a good fellow. This really has become a festival of tedium.

post #2346 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Oh do troll off, there's a good fellow. This really has become a festival of tedium.

Really, this is the best you can do. Just drop off and crawl under your rock you pompous wind bag. This is a thraed for men, boys like you better off watching and sucking off their thumps!
post #2347 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post

In my experience of a dozen C&J pairs including 2 each from Barneys and RL, the US ones are usually marked 1 size up and slightly narrower in width. The one exception is the RL Darlton brogue which is the same width as the E fitting in the UK 325 last and only marked 1/2 size up. For all the others, I take a 10 UK or 11 US and the sizing is extremely consistent across the board.

Thank you for your post, M\most C&J lasts (348, 365, 341) are 1 up. I think being a customer trumps all others. I have put my money where my mouth is.
post #2348 of 7651
Come on now, Gentlemen. Internet Message Boards are really not serious business. Makes no sense to get aggravated or to waste time throwing written pot shots at one another. Once it ceases being fun, it becomes a waste of time.

By the way, Sartorial. I never replied to your Kiton post. They are really nice and a lot of fun. I am a big fan of well-done Italian shoes (I find UK shoes to be a bit boring for my own personal tastes), and Kiton does an excellent job with style, leather & finishing. Do you have any idea which maker actually did yours?
post #2349 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

Oh grow up if you cant take it please refrain from giving it !!!
A Quintessentially English Crockett & Jones Semi Brogue Belgrave in "Small Size!" perfectly showing its style lines and curves i would say !!
Photobucket

Proves my point. Looks like a box or more likely, a boys shoes. The avergae size was 9.5 in 1930s, now it is more like 10.5.
post #2350 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

Come on now, Gentlemen. Internet Message Boards are really not serious business. Makes no sense to get aggravated or to waste time throwing written pot shots at one another. Once it ceases being fun, it becomes a waste of time.
By the way, Sartorial. I never replied to your Kiton post. They are really nice and a lot of fun. I am a big fan of well-done Italian shoes (I find UK shoes to be a bit boring for my own personal tastes), and Kiton does an excellent job with style, leather & finishing. Do you have any idea which maker actually did yours?


I agree. I am done. You're a better man than I.

Thank you. I think we have the same taste. I am told that Kiton have a small internal group of artisans that they put up to do their own shoes. Unfortunately they price their shoes in line of many bespoke ones and they have a very small market in teh US. I found most of mine on eBay and Bergdorff Goodman in NY.

My favoraite English shoes are by Gaziano & Girling, most others are very censervavtive and stuck in the past when it comes to finish and shape. However, I like their quality and materials.
post #2351 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratorial_Splender View Post

I agree. I am done. You're a better man than I.
Thank you. I think we have the same taste. I am told that Kiton have a small internal group of artisans that they put up to do their own shoes. Unfortunately they price their shoes in line of many bespoke ones and they have a very small market in teh US. I found most of mine on eBay and Bergdorff Goodman in NY.
My favoraite English shoes are by Gaziano & Girling, most others are very censervavtive and stuck in the past when it comes to finish and shape. However, I like their quality and materials.

G&G is the one UK maker that I DO enjoy watching. I say "watching" because they are always coming up with a new style that pushes the envelope. They aren't afraid to take chances and their shoes are damned exciting. They do all this without going over that line (that separates beautiful from gaudy) that some of even the best Italian makers stumble over from time to time.

I am convinced that G&G has some sort of Italian influence working its way into their designs. The last name, Gaziano (at least to what I've read) has Italian roots.
post #2352 of 7651
I agree. Although Tony Gaziano was heading bespoke at Edward Green before, perhaps his heritage is different. I have many of their shoes and they remind me a lot of Santoni LE and Bestteti shoes.
post #2353 of 7651

Is the leather referred to as "Scotch Grain", or sometimes "Scotch Country Grain", used in boots like the Coniston fullgrain or corrected grain? I seem to recall bengal posting something along the lines that Scotch Grain was CG while Country Calf was fullgrain. Does anyone have any info whether this applies to C&J leathers as well? Does the Coniston appear like corrected grain?

 

I'm really considering going for the Coniston as a casual lace-up boot, but I am hesitant to take the plunge if they are made from CG. Thanks smile.gif

post #2354 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanskl View Post

Is the leather referred to as "Scotch Grain", or sometimes "Scotch Country Grain", used in boots like the Coniston fullgrain or corrected grain? I seem to recall bengal posting something along the lines that Scotch Grain was CG while Country Calf was fullgrain. Does anyone have any info whether this applies to C&J leathers as well? Does the Coniston appear like corrected grain?

 

I'm really considering going for the Coniston as a casual lace-up boot, but I am hesitant to take the plunge if they are made from CG. Thanks smile.gif

 

It's not corrected grain, unless they've disguised it very, very well!

 

A handsome-looking boot, the Coniston ages well with wear:

 

post #2355 of 7651
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanm View Post

In my experience of a dozen C&J pairs including 2 each from Barneys and RL, the US ones are usually marked 1 size up and slightly narrower in width. The one exception is the RL Darlton brogue which is the same width as the E fitting in the UK 325 last and only marked 1/2 size up. For all the others, I take a 10 UK or 11 US and the sizing is extremely consistent across the board.

So if you're a UK 10E on practically all C&J lasts, you're suggesting that an 11D is the proper US size for an RL Lindrick or Marlow as well?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **