or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 140

post #2086 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratorial_Splender View Post

Northcote is too dressy for Jeans. Try Tetbury.

 

Both are 348 last, shouldn't be that different as long as Northcote isn't spit shined.

post #2087 of 7586
^ agree. Both are boots and have open lacing. Does the captoe make the northcote that dressier?
post #2088 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

 

Both are 348 last, shouldn't be that different as long as Northcote isn't spit shined.

 

Getting a spit shine on the Northcote's waxy leather, whilst possible, would be a little like trying to push water uphill with a rake...

 

FWIW, I don't think that anything that pointed would ever look good with denim.

post #2089 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Both are 348 last, shouldn't be that different as long as Northcote isn't spit shined.

Getting a spit shine on the Northcote's waxy leather, whilst possible, would be a little like trying to push water uphill with a rake...

FWIW, I don't think that anything that pointed would ever look good with denim.

Isn't one of points of waxy leather is that it doesn't have a spit shined look ???
post #2090 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

Isn't one of points of waxy leather is that it doesn't have a spit shined look ???

protection and resistance against the unbills of the world.
post #2091 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post

Isn't one of points of waxy leather is that it doesn't have a spit shined look ???

protection and resistance against the unbills of the world.

Exactly
post #2092 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Getting a spit shine on the Northcote's waxy leather, whilst possible, would be a little like trying to push water uphill with a rake...

Like this metaphor
post #2093 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Shell cordovan lovers might be interested in one of the new season's models - the 'Skye 2' brogue boot in dark brown shell with a studded Dainite sole, retailing at £595. The 'Wicklow' boot (an apron-fronted derby boot) looks good, too. They're due in the shops in the next few weeks...

 

Let me start by saying that I love my C&Js, regular calf and shell alike. But crikey, full retail price C&J and in particular C&J shell is getting prohibitively expensive.

 

I have a UK price list for C&J dated Spring 2011 where the shell Harlech boot was 510GBP, this rose to 535GBP in Spring 2012 and now Autumn 2012 you say Skye 2 boot will be 595GBP. Maybe international punters can absorb these increases when the 20% VAT is deducted, but IMO punters in Blighty and Euroland are getting royally scr*wed here.

 

My experience has been that C&J  is competitively priced versus Church's, so I generally switched brands unless I could source Church's seconds or at sale through Herrings etc, however recently I have noted the price differential between the two narrowing very quickly. For example, Church's custom grade Grafton wingtip is 390GBP while C&Js comparable style Pembroke benchgrade is now 345GBP. Pound for pound Grafton, which is built like a tank is in my view an all-round better offering and this is replicated across a range of what you would call standard wardrobe shoes.

 

For further comparison the C&J Islay boot currently retails at 405GBP whereas I can get a Trickers Stow, whose speciality is country shoes and boots, from most UK stores for 355GBP RRP although I do believe Trickers are also puttting up their prices by approx 20GBP but it still puts the C&J ahead in terms of price but not necessarily quality.


If this price creep continues at the current pace I think my C&J buying days may be drawing to a close or perhaps I will just have to buy less :- (

 

 

 

post #2094 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMOR View Post

^ agree. Both are boots and have open lacing. Does the captoe make the northcote that dressier?

No. Northcote is a cap toe long lace dress boot. Very dressy IMO.

However, IMO again, the Tetbury is a chukka style 2-eyelet lace. Somewhat less dressy, but more dressy than Brercon, which is true chukka with a round toe.

Below are Northcote, Brecon, &Tetbury.

post #2095 of 7586

I have a question concerning the color of C&J, which I hope someone can help me with. I'm familiar with the colors 'Chestnut' (Westbourne) and 'Dark brown' (Hallam) since I have both. But I'm interested in a shoe from C&J in 'Beechnut/Beechwood', so my question is, which color is it most like, 'Chestnut' or 'Dark brown'? Is the color dark? Does it have a red undertone? Since I want a dark color, is it possible to use medium/dark brown Sapphir polish/creme to make the shoe darker?

 

Also, if someone could, I would appreciate a picture of all three, alternatively two of the colors in the same pic beside eachother (one of the shoe colors being 'Beechnut/Beechwood' of course for comparison). Thanks in advance.

post #2096 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by billionaireboy View Post

Just brought these out for a quick conditioning and decided to snap a picture. Please excuse the top right. Those are Barker Blacks
P1010621.jpg
Looking to purchase some C&Js with Dainite soles for the rainy/winter months. Deciding between Pembroke and Swansea for derbys and the Northcotes for boots. Any suggestions? I believe the Swanseas and Pembrokes are the same except for the last. Does anyone have experience with either? Would the Northcotes be too dressy for jeans?
Thanks!

Personally I far prefer the 341 last (Swansea) over the 325 (Pembroke), the latter being quite clunky and "alden" like.
post #2097 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The7Ups View Post

 

Let me start by saying that I love my C&Js, regular calf and shell alike. But crikey, full retail price C&J and in particular C&J shell is getting prohibitively expensive.

 

I have a UK price list for C&J dated Spring 2011 where the shell Harlech boot was 510GBP, this rose to 535GBP in Spring 2012 and now Autumn 2012 you say Skye 2 boot will be 595GBP. Maybe international punters can absorb these increases when the 20% VAT is deducted, but IMO punters in Blighty and Euroland are getting royally scr*wed here.

 

My experience has been that C&J  is competitively priced versus Church's, so I generally switched brands unless I could source Church's seconds or at sale through Herrings etc, however recently I have noted the price differential between the two narrowing very quickly. For example, Church's custom grade Grafton wingtip is 390GBP while C&Js comparable style Pembroke benchgrade is now 345GBP. Pound for pound Grafton, which is built like a tank is in my view an all-round better offering and this is replicated across a range of what you would call standard wardrobe shoes.

 

For further comparison the C&J Islay boot currently retails at 405GBP whereas I can get a Trickers Stow, whose speciality is country shoes and boots, from most UK stores for 355GBP RRP although I do believe Trickers are also puttting up their prices by approx 20GBP but it still puts the C&J ahead in terms of price but not necessarily quality.


If this price creep continues at the current pace I think my C&J buying days may be drawing to a close or perhaps I will just have to buy less :- (

 

 

 

 

Yeah, all the remaining 'quality' English shoemakers have been steadily edging their prices up for a while. Iin fact, the only ones who have remained relatively consistent have been Church's, although some might argue that they were over-priced for quite some time (I like Church's, for the record).

 

Alfred Sargent have been the most spectacular of the lot. Their country boots and shoes used to rival Tricker's and were at a much lower price point. Their 'Weathertuff' country footwear models and their veldtschoen collection (the legacy of the famous Lotus veldts) were some of the most rugged, traditional English country footwear you could get.

 

Now, the few surviving models from those ranges (like the Dumfries brogue boot, and the Selkirk pictured above) are relatively hard to find and around a hundred quid a pair more expensive than before their little financial embarrassment last year, which led to them going all 'upmarket' on us to make inroads into foreign markets and hiking their prices across the board to match the quality of their new products.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev777 View Post


Isn't one of points of waxy leather is that it doesn't have a spit shined look ???

 

Exactly. If you're getting a spit shine on waxy leather of any sort, you either have a lot of time to spend on polishing or the leather has dried out too much and will then take a polish quite easily...

post #2098 of 7586
i love the boot/chukka range and thought i would pick between chiltern, tetbury and or brecon, depending on leather or suede needs. now i just saw the hartland which seems to have many more colors in suede to choose from, all be it unlined. anyone here have experience with the hartland? is it versatile enough, can unlined be worn thru the fall?
post #2099 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post

i love the boot/chukka range and thought i would pick between chiltern, tetbury and or brecon, depending on leather or suede needs. now i just saw the hartland which seems to have many more colors in suede to choose from, all be it unlined. anyone here have experience with the hartland? is it versatile enough, can unlined be worn thru the fall?

I bought the grey suede Hartland this spring and have used them lots because of the shitty summer we had in Sweden. Rainy and cold. I would not have a problem with +5-10 celsius as long as i´m walking, but standing still would be to cold (for a longer time of course).
I wear UK7E - 7.5E depending on last and took 7E for the Hartland.
post #2100 of 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the sheep View Post

I bought the grey suede Hartland this spring and have used them lots because of the shitty summer we had in Sweden. Rainy and cold. I would not have a problem with +5-10 celsius as long as i´m walking, but standing still would be to cold (for a longer time of course).
I wear UK7E - 7.5E depending on last and took 7E for the Hartland.


THANKS FRANK, Do you have any other C&J boots to compare the hartalnd to?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **