or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 139

post #2071 of 6694
Someone could help me in C&J sizing?
Unfortunately the only C&J that I owned and tried was the marlow penny in size 9D (314 last) that fitted in this way shog[1].gif (the foot could't enter more):



I am a Uk 8.5 in many brands and was a surprise to find that 314 last was so narrow and short.
(And as far as I understand US 9D is exactly a Uk 8.5E in Boston Loafer)
Now I would like to order the Shipton & Heneage Wilton (72 last offered in Ex and G width) and I would avoid to return the shoes one or two times.

I wear Size 8.5 F in various Sanders Mcnairy, 8.5 F in Loake 026, 8G in Church's 173 and others.

C&J lasts are so narrow? Would I order UK 9G in Wilton?
Thanks in advance
Edited by alexSF - 9/1/12 at 9:37am
post #2072 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

Someone could help me in C&J sizing?
Unfortunately the only C&J that I owned and tried was the marlow penny in size 9D (314 last) that fitted in this way shog[1].gif (the foot could't enter more):

I am a Uk 8.5 in many brands and was a surprise to find that 314 last was so narrow and short.
(And as far as I understand US 9D is exactly a Uk 8.5E in Boston Loafer)
Now I would like to order the Shipton & Heneage Wilton (72 last offered in Ex and G width) and I would avoid to return the shoes one or two times.
I wear Size 8.5 F in various Sanders Mcnairy, 8.5 F in Loake 026, 8G in Church's 173 and others.
C&J lasts are so narrow? Would I order UK 9G in Wilton?
Thanks in advance

FWIW, I have at least 4 different C&J lasts in E width, and I wouldn't characterize any of them as narrow. But it's all in what they are being compared to ....
post #2073 of 6694
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Suede Ghillies from Barney's. (Thanks tacobender!)
ghillies.jpg
Any pictures rocking these??
post #2074 of 6694
Definitely made a mistake with thinking 10uk would fit me on the Tetbury's.
Have worn them 3 days now and as much as I may like to think they fit like a glove...they are that wee bit tight around the toes.
Have put them in trees thinking they may stretch a little..but no.
post #2075 of 6694

Very very very nice!! Perfect on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSuit View Post

My first pair of good quality dress shoes (sorry for the laces showing)! Fits like a glove ;) First polish took a while but I'm pretty pleased with the result. 

 

 

post #2076 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post

Definitely made a mistake with thinking 10uk would fit me on the Tetbury's.
Have worn them 3 days now and as much as I may like to think they fit like a glove...they are that wee bit tight around the toes.
Have put them in trees thinking they may stretch a little..but no.

A wee bit tight in the toes may take more than a few wearings to resolve. But should resolve eventually.

Wear thick socks with them for brief periods of time. And/or put thick socks on the trees before inserting them.

Personally I'll take tight in the toes over a little loose any day. It may take a couple of dozen wearings or so, but if they stretch out acceptably they will crease far less in the long run if they are snug.
post #2077 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

A wee bit tight in the toes may take more than a few wearings to resolve. But should resolve eventually.
Wear thick socks with them for brief periods of time. And/or put thick socks on the trees before inserting them.
Personally I'll take tight in the toes over a little loose any day. It may take a couple of dozen wearings or so, but if they stretch out acceptably they will crease far less in the long run if they are snug.

Spray them with shoe streaching liquid and wear them immediatly for as long as you could stand them. All day if possible. That way, they will streach on you foot.
Edited by Saratorial_Splender - 9/3/12 at 9:06pm
post #2078 of 6694
Have put 3 (lol) pairs of socks and treed them...let's see...thanks!
post #2079 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Any pictures rocking these??

Mine will be coming from the States soon and I will post pics... promise.
post #2080 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap10046 View Post

Have put 3 (lol) pairs of socks and treed them...let's see...thanks!

i did that with my boots and it wasnt helpful. just take them to a cobbler and have them stretched just a bit and itll make the world of difference. unfortunately no pain no gain in this situation. wear them a few hours every night after work when your feet are the most swollen and thatll help out tremendously as it always helps me when i do it. best of luck though.
post #2081 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

Someone could help me in C&J sizing?
Unfortunately the only C&J that I owned and tried was the marlow penny in size 9D (314 last) that fitted in this way shog[1].gif (the foot could't enter more):

I am a Uk 8.5 in many brands and was a surprise to find that 314 last was so narrow and short.
(And as far as I understand US 9D is exactly a Uk 8.5E in Boston Loafer)
Now I would like to order the Shipton & Heneage Wilton (72 last offered in Ex and G width) and I would avoid to return the shoes one or two times.
I wear Size 8.5 F in various Sanders Mcnairy, 8.5 F in Loake 026, 8G in Church's 173 and others.
C&J lasts are so narrow? Would I order UK 9G in Wilton?
Thanks in advance

 

FWIW I wear Church's 173 in 8G which I wouldn't call particularly wide however it is a long last, certainly much longer than the C&J 314 so you are not really comparing like with like.

 

Church's 93 last is often used on their loafers, the Keats tassel springs to mind and is more like the 314 in that it is also very short, certainly too short and narrow for me in 8F even though I am a UK8. My experience of Church’s F fits is that they are often narrower than or just similar to C&J's E fit depending on the shoe type. I think C&J's benchgrade lasts are the definition of standard widths, they are neither narrow but nor are they wide.

 

C&J 314 last is the shortest in their entire benchgrade range that I have experience of. Initially I found it very difficult to get into the 314 lasted C&J cordovan Harvard penny shoe in 8E but it has broken in nicely after wearing with the thinnest pair of socks I have. You also need to factor in the penny strap (the full strap as per the RL shoe also may have made the shoe tighter for you but don't forget loafers need to be a bit less forgiving than lace ups anyway, too big and there will be significant slippage).

 

I have also tried the 325 lasted cordovan Henley penny in 8E but simply couldn't get my feet into it which was a real surprise as I have 325 lasted Cardiff, Coniston, Onslow and Cavendish tassel and have no problems there. The 325 isn't a particularly long last either so I think if your feet are any way wide and with a high instep the penny strap can make it difficult to get into the C&J E fit without going up a half a size which I wasn't prepared to do on a 500 euro pair of shoes.

 

However word of warning regarding C&J's G lasted shoes. The Pembroke wingtip in E fit (like RL's Darlton w'tip) is made on the 325, however the G fit Pembroke which is made on a different last, the 317 is a MASSIVE fit.

 

EX might be best for you and if the Hilton in made on the 72 last you could also contact C&J themselves for fitting advice as their RTW Langham tassel loafer is also made on this last in an EX fit.

post #2082 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by The7Ups View Post

FWIW I wear Church's 173 in 8G which I wouldn't call particularly wide however it is a long last, certainly much longer than the C&J 314 so you are not really comparing like with like.

Church's 93 last is often used on their loafers, the Keats tassel springs to mind and is more like the 314 in that it is also very short, certainly too short and narrow for me in 8F even though I am a UK8. My experience of Church’s F fits is that they are often narrower than or just similar to C&J's E fit depending on the shoe type. I think C&J's benchgrade lasts are the definition of standard widths, they are neither narrow but nor are they wide.

C&J 314 last is the shortest in their entire benchgrade range that I have experience of. Initially I found it very difficult to get into the 314 lasted C&J cordovan Harvard penny shoe in 8E but it has broken in nicely after wearing with the thinnest pair of socks I have. You also need to factor in the penny strap (the full strap as per the RL shoe also may have made the shoe tighter for you but don't forget loafers need to be a bit less forgiving than lace ups anyway, too big and there will be significant slippage).

I have also tried the 325 lasted cordovan Henley penny in 8E but simply couldn't get my feet into it which was a real surprise as I have 325 lasted Cardiff, Coniston, Onslow and Cavendish tassel and have no problems there. The 325 isn't a particularly long last either so I think if your feet are any way wide and with a high instep the penny strap can make it difficult to get into the C&J E fit without going up a half a size which I wasn't prepared to do on a 500 euro pair of shoes.

However word of warning regarding C&J's G lasted shoes. The Pembroke wingtip in E fit (like RL's Darlton w'tip) is made on the 325, however the G fit Pembroke which is made on a different last, the 317 is a MASSIVE fit.

EX might be best for you and if the Hilton in made on the 72 last you could also contact C&J themselves for fitting advice as their RTW Langham tassel loafer is also made on this last in an EX fit.

Really many thanks for your articulated and very helpfull answer.
Thanks also for all the usefull comparisions.

I think that I will order the UK 8.5 Ex as start point.

Best Regards
post #2083 of 6694
Just brought these out for a quick conditioning and decided to snap a picture. Please excuse the top right. Those are Barker Blacks

P1010621.jpg

Looking to purchase some C&Js with Dainite soles for the rainy/winter months. Deciding between Pembroke and Swansea for derbys and the Northcotes for boots. Any suggestions? I believe the Swanseas and Pembrokes are the same except for the last. Does anyone have experience with either? Would the Northcotes be too dressy for jeans?

Thanks!
post #2084 of 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by billionaireboy View Post

Just brought these out for a quick conditioning and decided to snap a picture. Please excuse the top right. Those are Barker Blacks
P1010621.jpg
Looking to purchase some C&Js with Dainite soles for the rainy/winter months. Deciding between Pembroke and Swansea for derbys and the Northcotes for boots. Any suggestions? I believe the Swanseas and Pembrokes are the same except for the last. Does anyone have experience with either? Would the Northcotes be too dressy for jeans?
Thanks!

Yes, IMO.
post #2085 of 6694
Northcote is too dressy for Jeans. Try Tetbury.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **