or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** - Page 101

post #1501 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

Coniston:

IMG00660-20120421-1009.jpg


Nice. Mine is coming in two weeks!

Wish more stuff was on the 325 last. Such a great last.
post #1502 of 7548

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellionheart View Post


Nice. Mine is coming in two weeks!
Wish more stuff was on the 325 last. Such a great last.

 


I find it a bit boring. There is nothing happening. It is just so round.

 

My new Lowndes:

imageoru.jpg

imageqoh.jpg

 

 

post #1503 of 7548

I can understand why you say that but feel it's more about context and fit as well. I have 3 pairs of shoes on the 348 (including the suede Lowndes) and nowadays I'm thinking it's almost too elongated-looking on my foot (I wear a UK9.5 and suspect it works better with smaller sizes). The 325 last works on this boot and also fits my foot a lot better. I don't think the 325 works for a sleek dress shoe.

 

Similarly (because I'm going through this thought process right now smile.gif), I'm choosing between 

 

carmina-simpson-loafer-brown-suede-3-4-s.jpg

 

and

 

crm-boston-suede-01.jpg

 

The Carmina looks sleeker but would be a tighter fit for me. The C&J Boston is rounder and arguably less interesting but would be more comfortable. Between the two, I'm tending to go for the Boston because of the fit.


Edited by Gerry Nelson - 4/21/12 at 10:41pm
post #1504 of 7548
325 looks great as wingtip and a wingtip boot. I think for a captoe boot, 240 is best because it's slightly pointer than the 325, which gives it a less spherical shape
post #1505 of 7548

I just did a side by side comparison of my shoe in the 240 and 325 and it's a pretty subtle difference.

post #1506 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

I just did a side by side comparison of my shoe in the 240 and 325 and it's a pretty subtle difference.


You sir are correct. Both my Lindrick and BB Peal sit on the same shelf together and I didn't look to see. For some reason, the Lindrick is a lot more comfortable than the Wingtip in the same size (sized down a half size). Lindrick in a 11.5 fits much better than the Wingtip, which I wear in size 12
post #1507 of 7548

Funny you mention that - my Coniston is a lot more comfortable than my Peal in the same size. I'm jealous that you got the Lindrick! I would have loved to have gotten that or the Islay. The Lindrick is a beautiful boot!

post #1508 of 7548

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

I can understand why you say that but feel it's more about context and fit as well. I have 3 pairs of shoes on the 348 (including the suede Lowndes) and nowadays I'm thinking it's almost too elongated-looking on my foot (I wear a UK9.5 and suspect it works better with smaller sizes). The 325 last works on this boot and also fits my foot a lot better. I don't think the 325 works for a sleek dress shoe.

 

Similarly (because I'm going through this thought process right now smile.gif), I'm choosing between 

 

carmina-simpson-loafer-brown-suede-3-4-s.jpg

 

and

 

crm-boston-suede-01.jpg

 

The Carmina looks sleeker but would be a tighter fit for me. The C&J Boston is rounder and arguably less interesting but would be more comfortable. Between the two, I'm tending to go for the Boston because of the fit.

 

I disagree. Larger shoes has less "extra shoe" in proportion  to the whole shoe. If you are somewhat proportionate a 348 should not be a problem with larger sizes. I myself am 6'7" with UK12 and although it feels a bit too elongated when you look down at it, it looks awesome from all other angles.

 

Coniston is an awesome boot either way.

post #1509 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

I can understand why you say that but feel it's more about context and fit as well. I have 3 pairs of shoes on the 348 (including the suede Lowndes) and nowadays I'm thinking it's almost too elongated-looking on my foot (I wear a UK9.5 and suspect it works better with smaller sizes). The 325 last works on this boot and also fits my foot a lot better. I don't think the 325 works for a sleek dress shoe.

Similarly (because I'm going through this thought process right now smile.gif ), I'm choosing between 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
330x480px-LL-e5f50e2f_carmina-simpson-loafer-brown-suede-3-4-s.jpeg

and

350x700px-LL-29d35932_crm-boston-suede-01.jpeg

The Carmina looks sleeker but would be a tighter fit for me. The C&J Boston is rounder and arguably less interesting but would be more comfortable. Between the two, I'm tending to go for the Boston because of the fit.

The C&J is definitely not as interesting. But in the long run it will never go in, or out, of style. It also will be more versatile in terms of wearing it with jeans/chinos, especially as it ages.

As much as love the sleekness of the C&J 348 I find it somewhat too much on my two pairs of Merton loafers. And I wonder if in a loafer I wouldn't be happier with a slightly rounder last. The Simpson last on the Carmina's is not quite as long as the 348. If they offered this makeup on the Rain last (which is a little wider) you would be in 'sweet spot' IMO.

Then we have the issue of the suede itself. Carmina is known for it's luscious suede. C&J is just OK as far as I'm concerned.

Of course the easy answer is, BOTH! nest.gif
post #1510 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post





I find it a bit boring. There is nothing happening. It is just so round.

My new Lowndes:
350x262px-LL-c58b732d_imageoru.jpeg
350x262px-LL-2297a29c_imageqoh.jpeg


What colour is that? Black, by any chance?
post #1511 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

I can understand why you say that but feel it's more about context and fit as well. I have 3 pairs of shoes on the 348 (including the suede Lowndes) and nowadays I'm thinking it's almost too elongated-looking on my foot (I wear a UK9.5 and suspect it works better with smaller sizes). The 325 last works on this boot and also fits my foot a lot better. I don't think the 325 works for a sleek dress shoe.

Similarly (because I'm going through this thought process right now smile.gif ), I'm choosing between 


The Carmina looks sleeker but would be a tighter fit for me. The C&J Boston is rounder and arguably less interesting but would be more comfortable. Between the two, I'm tending to go for the Boston because of the fit.

I prefer the Carminas, did you tried them both or you are anticipating how they will fit based in other models?, I have a pair in the simpson last and is very comfortable.
post #1512 of 7548

I'm thinking about buying C&J Audley in calf brown. I want to wear these casual with a jeans. Anybody have this shoe and tried this? I'm only concerned that these maybe too formal.

post #1513 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post

Larger shoes has less "extra shoe" in proportion to the whole shoe.

what does it mean?
post #1514 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunrad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post





I find it a bit boring. There is nothing happening. It is just so round.

My new Lowndes:
350x262px-LL-c58b732d_imageoru.jpeg
350x262px-LL-2297a29c_imageqoh.jpeg


What colour is that? Black, by any chance?
Naah, they are espresso suede although it is pretty much impossible to capture that color. It is even harder with an iPhone.. It is dark brown with hints of grey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post

Larger shoes has less "extra shoe" in proportion to the whole shoe.

what does it mean?
What I am trying to say is that if my foot is 42 cm maybe the shoe is 46 total. 4 cm added; 9.5% added. However, if I have a smaller foot, let's say 36 the shoe may be 39.75cm. 10.4% added. I don't know if the numbers are any good but I hope I made my point.

With bigger sizes they add less extra length. As a person gets bigger, the risk of him looking like a clown gets smaller as there is less extra shoe.

I hope I made my point. It's hard, trying to write something like this when you are drunk satisfied.gif
post #1515 of 7548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cucumber View Post

What I am trying to say is Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
that if my foot is 42 cm maybe the shoe is 46 total. 4 cm added; 9.5% added. However, if I have a smaller foot, let's say 36 the shoe may be 39.75cm. 10.4% added. I don't know if the numbers are any good but I hope I made my point.
With bigger sizes they add less extra length. As a person gets bigger, the risk of him looking like a clown gets smaller as there is less extra shoe.
I hope I made my point. It's hard, trying to write something like this when you are drunk satisfied.gif

got it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread **