or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 65

post #961 of 12785
On my Drummonds, I received back GBP31.80/$51.01. I don't think I used an agent. You get your paperwork stamped by the customs/duties people and drop it in the mail to the HMRC.
post #962 of 12785
Quote:
*-Gdot - if you don't mind me asking, how much of the VAT are you able to recover at the airport? The reason I ask is because I am planning to pick up a couple of pairs in London in the next few months and my understanding is that the refund companies at the airport take a slice of the VAT to be refunded (so I'm just trying to figure out whether it actually works out cheaper to ask C&J to knock the VAT off in store and then post the shoes out).

All of the VAT is refundable to you as a non UK resident. I believe the rate in the UK is 18%. You fill out your forms - have them approved at the VAT refund office at the airport - mail in your forms (theres a mailbox right at the VAT ofice) and get the refund direct from the gov'mnt. It can take a few months.
C&J will provide you with EVERYTHING you need right there in the store - including a postage paid envelope.'
post #963 of 12785
Assuming that you are leaving from Heathrow, if you cannot carry on your shoes for some reason, make sure you leave ample time to get your forms stamped. It could take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours at least from the American Airlines Terminal (3?) If you can carry on, there is a VAT office after security where the line is typically shorter. Technically you have to show the goods to the VAT officer for him to stamp your form, but I don't recall him asking for my shoes when I was last there. I think the time before that though, the VAT officer did ask for my goods.

Not a great picture, but there were 60 people in front of me and after waiting an hour I never reached the front of the line.
That's when I found out about the VAT office after the security line.

197
post #964 of 12785
Good information to have. I never check luggage so I always go to the office after security check.
post #965 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdot View Post

All of the VAT is refundable to you as a non UK resident. I believe the rate in the UK is 18%.

20%, I'm afraid.
post #966 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJB View Post

20%, I'm afraid.

VAT is 20% - an item that is £100 prior to imposition of VAT will have a purchase price (after VAT is imposed) of £120. So, to figure out how much VAT you will be getting back multiply the purchase price by 1/6. Or, to figure the ex VAT price of an UK item that is to be shipped directly to the States multiply the purchase price by 5/6.
post #967 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenJB View Post

20%, I'm afraid.

You are correct. I was not aware it had been raised from 17.5% to 20% the first of last year. But upon checking I find that HM revenue and customs website is quite clear in this regard. Thank you for pointing that out to me.
post #968 of 12785
Thanks guys, useful information to have.

Winston S - doesn't sound like you got the full 20% back (i.e. if Drummonds are around GBP320, shouldn't you have got back closer to GBP60)?
post #969 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dib View Post

Thanks guys, useful information to have.
Winston S - doesn't sound like you got the full 20% back (i.e. if Drummonds are around GBP320, shouldn't you have got back closer to GBP60)?

Yeah, for some reason there is some sort of administrative surcharge when you submit the VAT refund application.

2.What is Tax Free Shopping?

In the UK, Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on many goods and services. Tax Free Shopping allows travellers leaving the European Union (EU) to get a VAT refund on goods they buy here and take home. It cannot be used for services.

In most cases, the shop or refund company will charge you a fee for using Tax Free Shopping. They will take the money out of your VAT refund.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/overseas-visitors.htm

Edited by Winston S. - 1/28/12 at 7:05am
post #970 of 12785
Great! Now that the tedious details regarding a few pence here and there are dealt with we can resume discussions regarding the shoes. No?
post #971 of 12785
For those who have Chukkas...what model did you go with?

Dark brown Chukkas are next on my list, but I'm not sure on the model and size. frown.gif
post #972 of 12785

Just received my first pair of C&J today!  Dark Brown Edgeware off B&S.  They fit well (dare I say perfect), and will hopefully not be my last pair.

post #973 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

For those who have Chukkas...what model did you go with?
Dark brown Chukkas are next on my list, but I'm not sure on the model and size. frown.gif

I love my Tetburys. Size down a full size e.g. I'm a 8.5 US but I got these in 7.5 UK and the fit is spot on.

IMG_0161.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ross View Post

Just received my first pair of C&J today!  Dark Brown Edgeware off B&S.  They fit well (dare I say perfect), and will hopefully not be my last pair.

Congradulations!nod[1].gif
post #974 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post

I love my Tetburys. Size down a full size e.g. I'm a 8.5 US but I got these in 7.5 UK and the fit is spot on.
IMG_0161.jpg
Congradulations!nod[1].gif

I see the Tetbury is on the 348 last. All of my C&J's are on the 337 last. I sized down one full size, from a 8.5 US to a 7.5 UK like you. I was told to only size down .5 for the 348 last. Now I'm not so certain. I love England shoes, but man returning them is not cheap! frown.gif
post #975 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4 View Post

I see the Tetbury is on the 348 last. All of my C&J's are on the 337 last. I sized down one full size, from a 8.5 US to a 7.5 UK like you. I was told to only size down .5 for the 348 last. Now I'm not so certain. I love England shoes, but man returning them is not cheap! frown.gif

I was told this also (by a C&J vendor in the U.K.) but after researching various threads here regarding the fit of the Tetbury I decided to size down one full size instead of half a size. That was the right decision for me as my Tetbury's couldn't fit any better. Search for those threads.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)