or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 598

post #8956 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by labravajazz View Post

Yes, I recall trying on some shoes at CJ Burlington Arcade London and noticed this to be true and the assistant agreed that Handgrade generally are a little less tight. I found that I could fit into 10.5 E in handgrade models but some BG were a bit too tight. Maybe not 1/2 a size in it though? In most shoes I am closer to 10.75 I think.....FWIW

Thanks.
post #8957 of 12858

[Post deleted]

 

Whoops

post #8958 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwod View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

Some C&J SAs claim that there's a difference between BG and HG shoes and I can't tell if there is or not and I own several pairs of each. That said, the closure does seem to have a significant impact on 348/58 fitting for me. Basically, I feel like non-oxfords feel like they fit larger. I don't know if this is true or just feeling, but this may be what you're experiencing with the portmans. Fwiw I also own this shoe (Portman 3) and every time I wear it I feel like it's too big for the first 15-20 minutes and then it's just fine.

Thanks - agree the closure is likely to contribute. Being a half boot maybe a bit a play at the top is normal..

The 358 last is ever so slightly bigger than the 348, however, from personal experience I wouldn't recommend going down half a size unless you are going to a derby like Clarendon/Brunswick. Keep in mind that the Portman has a plain vamp and toe whereas the Lowndes has a cap (thus slightly slightly less space under the vamp). What you could do is ask C&J for a pair of their insoles, cut out to the 358 last in your size to let you fill out the shoe better should you need it.

post #8959 of 12858
I have 358 and it definitely fits larger than 348 (at least width around toe). I cannot wear 348 on balmoral, toebox is too tight, though 348 in boots and chukka does work (Northcote and Tetbury)
post #8960 of 12858

Some might remember what happened to me a few pages ago when one of the sky hooks on my Islays came off the 3rd time I was wearing them.

 

Initially I was reluctant to send the boots for what I considered a minor issue which could be easily fixed by a cobbler (I was wrong), so I contacted C&J to get some hooks sent to me to be installed by my local cobbler. He did a terrible job (completely misaligned and applied way too much pressure) and also I noticed the new hook was silver instead of the original brown, so I decided to send the boots.

 

Today I've received them. They replaced the botched hook and the remaining brown ones and put silver ones instead. Boots look good now so happy with that. Most Islay pics I find online have silver hooks but mine were brown for some reason (got them from Robert Old), but to be honest I couldn't care less about the colour of the hooks as they both look good to me.

 

So pretty happy with C&J customer service, they've been very fast. Got the hooks in a couple of days (from UK to Spain) the first time and it's been roughtly a week since my boots arrived in the UK until I've got them back home today. I only paid for shipping costs to the UK (22 euro).

 

The only issue with C&J service: I sent the boots with the dust bags but I got them back in a shoe (not boot) box and without dust bags. I know I could ask for some but I don't really mind to be honest, all I wanted were my boots.

 

So thanks to C&J customer service (more especifically Sue H.).

post #8961 of 12858
Glad for the happy ending MP, I'm sure if you mentioned the issue with bags they'd sort it for you though.

Today

post #8962 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post

I have 358 and it definitely fits larger than 348 (at least width around toe). I cannot wear 348 on balmoral, toebox is too tight, though 348 in boots and chukka does work (Northcote and Tetbury)

Thanks all for the advice on this one. The 358 being slightly larger than 348 is definitely consistent with my experience. Will go for an insole rather than dropping the half size. Hopefully shoe won't stretch significantly.

Incidentally, was told by a (very helpful) c&j sales rep that the portman has been discontinued. Happy I got a pair when I did..
post #8963 of 12858
Hey guys

I've been looking for a good quality pair of oxfords for a while now and narrowed it down to either church's and C&J. After weeks of lurking on SF I decided to just go for it and try all the different models at both stores here in Brussels. You guys helped greatly with my decision because I was sort of torn between the dubai model from Church's, and the Hallam, Lonsdale and Audley models from C&J. In-store I just completely fell in love with the Audleys so I took them home with me:




Sorry for the picture heavy post but I'm very excited about them and couldn't be happier. Now I just have to get some wear on them and see how they age...
The fit is pretty much spot on straight out of the box which is something I'm not used to, usually they require some form of breaking in. I sized down considerably for these shoes in comparison with what I usually wear (normally about a 10-10.5UK, these are 9.5E)
post #8964 of 12858

I need your thoughts. The MTO Snowdon boot project with a full bellows tongue was a failure and we couldn't get enough people to participate.

I now have a chance to purchase the Snowdon boot, brand new, first class for around 30% off MSRP price, as my friend who bought them decided he doesn't like them and is willing to sell them to me.

I am just not sure if I should pull the trigger on these as the standard version does not have the bellows tongue, and the overall look with Commando soles somehow feels like a overkill for a Winter City walk and anemic for Mountain/ deeper snow use. I have a feeling it's like a 4x4 jeep without enough roughness for a off road terrain and also not practical for a city driving..

post #8965 of 12858
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnobuyens View Post

Hey guys

I've been looking for a good quality pair of oxfords for a while now and narrowed it down to either church's and C&J. After weeks of lurking on SF I decided to just go for it and try all the different models at both stores here in Brussels. You guys helped greatly with my decision because I was sort of torn between the dubai model from Church's, and the Hallam, Lonsdale and Audley models from C&J. In-store I just completely fell in love with the Audleys so I took them home with me:




Sorry for the picture heavy post but I'm very excited about them and couldn't be happier. Now I just have to get some wear on them and see how they age...
The fit is pretty much spot on straight out of the box which is something I'm not used to, usually they require some form of breaking in. I sized down considerably for these shoes in comparison with what I usually wear (normally about a 10-10.5UK, these are 9.5E)

You chose well, wear only in good health nod[1].gif
post #8966 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyPunch View Post



The only issue with C&J service: I sent the boots with the dust bags but I got them back in a shoe (not boot) box and without dust bags. I know I could ask for some but I don't really mind to be honest, all I wanted were my boots.

So thanks to C&J customer service (more especifically Sue H.).

I ordered my Islay from Barneys. They came with C&J shoe bags, rather than boot bags. I sent an email to C&J who mailed a new set of boot bags. If you use them, you could get a set. If they gather dust, why bother?

Glad to hear you got the boots sorted out. Enjoy!
post #8967 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

Strange looking new model:

http://www.barneys.com/crockett-%26-jones-plain-toe-balmoral-501315167.html

Allen Edmonds has a black suede/calf oxford combo too.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6716_1_40000000001_-1?style=6716
post #8968 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill W View Post

Allen Edmonds has a black suede/calf oxford combo too.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6716_1_40000000001_-1?style=6716

Looks like patent leather in the pic. Also cheaper than other models.
post #8969 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by othertravel View Post

Looks like patent leather in the pic. Also cheaper than other models.
Yeah it's on clearance. It doesn't look like patent leather to me though.
post #8970 of 12858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post

Glad for the happy ending MP, I'm sure if you mentioned the issue with bags they'd sort it for you though.

Today


Clev.. I really like he color variation on the caps... Pretty cool my friend. Always well put together you are Sir! Nicely done!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)