Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 592

post #8866 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post


No, sorry TP. I should have said, they are UK 7.5 smile.gif


Cheers mate!

 

I think the pair I have is about 310 mm or so (8UK). I suspect that's within range for normal. It is an elongated last isn't it?

post #8867 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post


Cheers mate!

I think the pair I have is about 310 mm or so (8UK). I suspect that's within range for normal. It is an elongated last isn't it?

IMHO I wouldn't necessarily label it a longer last, I may be wrong...
post #8868 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post


Not that you found your 348s were shorter than the equivalent sized Barney's 348?

^^^ This. I had a Barney's Tetbury on one foot, a UK sized Westbourne on the other, and stood with my back and heels against the wall. The US9.5D Tetbury was both longer and more narrow than my UK9E Westbourne. Something was definitely off with Barney's size conversion, or I was just unlucky and experienced it with 2 different pairs.
post #8869 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post


IMHO I wouldn't necessarily label it a longer last, I may be wrong...


Could be just me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post


^^^ This. I had a Barney's Tetbury on one foot, a UK sized Westbourne on the other, and stood with my back and heels against the wall. The US9.5D Tetbury was both longer and more narrow than my UK9E Westbourne. Something was definitely off with Barney's size conversion, or I was just unlucky and experienced it with 2 different pairs.


Thanks Fred...good to know. Wonder if anyone else has had the same issue. 

 

It could be that my 9Ds are a touch long, but not obscenely long cf to Cleav's 7.5UK. Should be around 0.5cm increase per half step in size, I think. 

 

With Highbury's and Tetbury's, I think a longer pant cuff opening is really more ideal, given the long unbroken expanse of the toe. But curious how owners of those two models or say the Monkton (say) wear theirs (pics please!).

post #8870 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

I had a half hour to kill in midtown yesterday, so I popped into Paul Stuart. It's not on their site, but I wanted to mention they had several C&Js on sale, including the Severn boot that Barney's and Sky Valet carry:
http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=503639720&cgid=mens-shoes&index=30
https://skyvaletshoes.com/product/crockett-jones-severn-boot-dark-brown-burnished-calf/

There were several different styles of it including brown suede and navy suede and I think they were all marked down to $378 IIRC. Pretty good price so if you have any interest it in, give the store a call.

 

Fred, do you recall if they had brown calf? Does PS also call the boot the same name? (Severn) 

post #8871 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

Fred, do you recall if they had brown calf? Does PS also call the boot the same name? (Severn) 
Sorry, I don't remember if they had calf (definitely had navy and brown suede), or what they called it. The guys in the shoe dept there are fairly knowledgeable though.. Give 'em a call and ask. I'm sure if you described the boot and maker they would know what you were talking about.
post #8872 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post


Sorry, I don't remember if they had calf (definitely had navy and brown suede), or what they called it. The guys in the shoe dept there are fairly knowledgeable though.. Give 'em a call and ask. I'm sure if you described the boot and maker they would know what you were talking about.

 

Thanks, I'll give them a call.

post #8873 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

^^^ This. I had a Barney's Tetbury on one foot, a UK sized Westbourne on the other, and stood with my back and heels against the wall. The US9.5D Tetbury was both longer and more narrow than my UK9E Westbourne. Something was definitely off with Barney's size conversion, or I was just unlucky and experienced it with 2 different pairs.

Well, this is interesting. Is it possible that the Tetbury's are actually UK9.5D even though the boxes indicate that they are US sized?
post #8874 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgreen View Post

Well, this is interesting. Is it possible that the Tetbury's are actually UK9.5D even though the boxes indicate that they are US sized?
That was a definite possibility. I had the 10D and 9.5D and sent them both back. I have the Barney's Wicklow, Malton, and until recently the Clifford, and they seemed sized US -1 = UK. The Barney's Tetbury was just really oddly sized, especially since I have the Lowndes, Westbourne, and Hallam all in UK9E on that last to compare the fit to.
post #8875 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post

That was a definite possibility. I had the 10D and 9.5D and sent them both back. I have the Barney's Wicklow, Malton, and until recently the Clifford, and they seemed sized US -1 = UK. The Barney's Tetbury was just really oddly sized, especially since I have the Lowndes, Westbourne, and Hallam all in UK9E on that last to compare the fit to.

Well, I wonder if C&J when making shoes for US retailers (and knowing that D width is standard in the US) just uses the UK D width and calls it a US size (so, for example the UK9.5D becomes Barneys US9.5D).
post #8876 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxgreen View Post


Well, I wonder if C&J when making shoes for US retailers (and knowing that D width is standard in the US) just uses the UK D width and calls it a US size (so, for example the UK9.5D becomes Barneys US9.5D).


I don't know how C&J does it for sure, but that's certainly not the way EG does it. EG's standard size is a E UK which is closer to the American size D, but they also sell a D UK which is a bit narrower than the American size D. Axels in Colorado typically sells their EGs in the D UK width. As far as I know all other American retailers typically sell their EG's in the E UK width.

 

I very much doubt that C&J does it any differently. Because their standard width is the one that they predicted would fit the most people. Their UK D width if they made one would also make sense that it would be a bit narrower than the typical American D as well.

 

Of course their are no really standard width sizes per say, these are all determined based on what size a shoemakers Last happens to be. However there is an expectation that a D is the typical American width.


Edited by dddrees - 2/22/15 at 12:52am
post #8877 of 13590
Today was boot polishing day!

post #8878 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post

Today was boot polishing day!


Good looking boots.


Grain boots are always a good leather for this time of year.
post #8879 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad19620 View Post

Today was boot polishing day!

Beautiful. Which style are those? Looks similar to the Coniston w/o captoe. Do they have Dainite studded or Commando soles?

That is pretty much what I am looking for in a winter boot, like a combination of my Derwent boots and grain Brecon chukkas (shown with my tan grain Pembroke brogues; all w/Dainite soles). So, this has been my C&J line-up for this fall/winter, and has served me well. The slushy Jan/Feb here in NYC has made me think my next boot will be one with a Commando or Ridgeway sole. The Snowden has been growing on me, so maybe for next winter.

 

 

post #8880 of 13590
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChukkasOnHudson View Post

Beautiful. Which style are those? Looks similar to the Coniston w/o captoe. Do they have Dainite studded or Commando soles?
That is pretty much what I am looking for in a winter boot, like a combination of my Derwent boots and grain Brecon chukkas (shown with my tan grain Pembroke brogues; all w/Dainite soles). So, this has been my C&J line-up for this fall/winter, and has served me well. The slushy Jan/Feb here in NYC has made me think my next boot will be one with a Commando or Ridgeway sole. The Snowden has been growing on me, so maybe for next winter.






These are the Lancaster boots made for Holland &Holland with the ridgeway sole . The boots are similar to the C&J Chepstow but slightly higher with speed hooks at the top.
The boots are made on the 325 last
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)