if you intend to order "unlined" suede footwear from C&J, then my recent experience below may be helpful when considering the issue of sizing.
- Lined C&J shoes (348 Westbourne) and boots (348 Tetbury) fit me snugly, in size UK10E.
- Recently, I purchased a few pairs of "unlined" suede 348 Milton and 359 Hartland boots, in down sized UK9.5E. The unlined Hartland boots have had their maiden voyages and have been worn in now.
- Unlike the lined boots, the unlined boots have noticeably stretched since being worn in and have become somewhat loose fitting. Consequently, I intend to order some 359 insocks for my Hartland boots, which hopefully will result in a snug fit again.
- With the benefit of hindsight, I perhaps should have down sized one whole size for the unlined Hartland boots, rather than a half size. So, it's something to think about -- if you intend to order unlined suede footwear from C&J.
- Alas, we only learn the nuances of the various C&J last and material fit variations through practical experience or vicariously from others, by reading forums like SF.
- I don't regret my unlined Hartland boots purchase, they're a very nice casual boot and I enjoy wearing them.
I want a last that's a bit more forgiving for my toes then the 348 last and I'd like to have a dark brown suede so that they will be appropriate for work but also for more casual events. I wouldn't be interested in a calf Connaught but for a suede shoe maybe the Connaught will be nice. I'll be in London today so I'll give them a try in store.
Otherwise the dark brown suede lonsdales in 363 last is an option I guess. But handgrades are expensive to me so I'd prefer a pair from the main collection to be honest.