or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 520

post #7786 of 12828
Loving this thread. I have the Connaught in both black and a lovely, warm chestnut. I recently picked up a pair of dark brown Westfields from Pediwear for delivery to the DC area. Did much better than at Sky Valet, for those of you in the DMV, even if I did have to wait a few weeks for back order and pick them up at the post office.

I'm curious as to what people think about having metal "taps" (for lack of a better term) installed at the front of the shoe. I realize that I am paying for the quality of the upper rather than the leather sole, but some small part of me thinks that I am bastardizing the shoe by having a cobbler cut part of the sole off to install the protector. Of course, the more the front of my shoes get chewed away, the smaller that little part of me referred to above gets. Anybody else in this quandary?
post #7787 of 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDC View Post

Loving this thread. I have the Connaught in both black and a lovely, warm chestnut. I recently picked up a pair of dark brown Westfields from Pediwear for delivery to the DC area. Did much better than at Sky Valet, for those of you in the DMV, even if I did have to wait a few weeks for back order and pick them up at the post office.

I'm curious as to what people think about having metal "taps" (for lack of a better term) installed at the front of the shoe. I realize that I am paying for the quality of the upper rather than the leather sole, but some small part of me thinks that I am bastardizing the shoe by having a cobbler cut part of the sole off to install the protector. Of course, the more the front of my shoes get chewed away, the smaller that little part of me referred to above gets. Anybody else in this quandary?


I put them on a lot of my shoes...but I only do it with the following pre-requisites:

 

1. they are done by the manufacturer of the shoe or "an extremely talented" cobbler that I know will do it properly and not ruin the shoe

2. they are cut flush with the sole

 

If they are done properly...you are not ruining the shoe...you are actually helping to preserve the sole by preventing the toe wearing out too quickly requiring a re-sole.

post #7788 of 12828

I think taps fall outside of purist orthodoxy, but I follow the guidelines set forth by PCK1 above.  Due to my footshape and gait my shoes experience a lot of toe wear and would wear to the welt at the toes way before the rest of the sole was even close to ready for replacing.  I've had them placed in by the manufacturer or by BNelson and have been pleased with both.

post #7789 of 12828

If you're in DC SkyValet does this as well - even though shipping shoes to New York is probably easier than getting from NoVa to upper Georgetown.

post #7790 of 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

I think taps fall outside of purist orthodoxy, but I follow the guidelines set forth by PCK1 above.  Due to my footshape and gait my shoes experience a lot of toe wear and would wear to the welt at the toes way before the rest of the sole was even close to ready for replacing.  I've had them placed in by the manufacturer or by BNelson and have been pleased with both.

If you ever meet anyone who seriously suggests there is an orthodoxy to how you treat your shoes then please give them a slap from me...sometimes this forum is beyond parody, not meaning you personally, mate!
post #7791 of 12828
Am I the only one who finds the CJ 348 last cavernous? They feel way too long to me even going down a full size from my US size. Some say they fit similar to Carmina's Simpson last, but I just don't see it.
post #7792 of 12828

I got narrow fit, so for me the 348 works fine, I am always lloking for narrow last, but I can see the 348 can look too long in general. I think the simpson looks a bit different, a bit more elegant maybe

post #7793 of 12828
In my case, I'm a between a US 11 D/C width. I went with a 9.5UK on the 348 and they feel big to me. Maybe it's because of my lower arch.
post #7794 of 12828

The result of some shoeshining earlier this week.

 

Crockett and Jones Alex

post #7795 of 12828

Now that it has cooled down some, wearing my C&J Skye 2 cordovan boots today:

 

post #7796 of 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by metranger8694 View Post
 

Long time lurker, first time poster...Thanks to all posters on SF. I've learned so much about proper fashion and style. Here are a pair of C&J Navy Coniston boots I picked up at a Barneys sale a few months ago...I lucked out for sure. They only had one pair, my size. Regulaly $715 on sale for $275 and I pounced...I live in South Florida but I'll make them work! Trousers are Cobalt chinos from SPOKE in London.

 

 

 

Do you or anyone else care to comment about wearing these with raw denim?  I'm thinking of picking up a pair for the New England winter but not sure if the combination will go well together.  I can't seem to find any pictures of the navy + raw denim.

post #7797 of 12828

Hi glyoung...

I saw your post so I put on my dark denim and snapped a few pics cuffed and uncuffed...I'd have no problem wearing these boots with raw denim. As a matter of fact these boots are dark enough blue that I'd wear them with my black denim too. They go with everything methinks. Prob. look great with grey wool trousers too.


Check out this italian dudes style from The Sartorialists site.... Denim cuffs inside his boots...He pulls it off. Don't know if I could. Hope it's ok to post this photo with credit.

http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/on-the-street-the-layered-turtleneck-florence/

post #7798 of 12828
Incredible shine, just bought a pair of the same at the Paris shop the other week, you have given me inspiration.
post #7799 of 12828
Just got a lovely pair of Courtney, exclusive to the Paris store in burgundy.
post #7800 of 12828
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasnordin View Post
 

The result of some shoeshining earlier this week.

 

Crockett and Jones Alex

Perfect!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)