or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 516

post #7726 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

The last point is definitely correct - if you're not sure on your size you're taking a risk buying from am overseas vendor. Once you know your size however, the savings buying from the uk C&J stores or from uk vendors on sale are way more than pennies.

I guess I didn't mean pennies literally, but the decision to buy overseas rather then locally is dependent on ones logistics and knowledge of CJ lasts.
post #7727 of 12762
I hope it's ok to ask here, where's the cheapest place in the US to buy a pair of Islays?
post #7728 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

I hope it's ok to ask here, where's the cheapest place in the US to buy a pair of Islays?


The only place that sells them in the US is Barneys that I am aware of, this is where I bought mine from a couple of years ago.

post #7729 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by aglose View Post

So I'm revisiting the C&J winter boot thing, and I would prefer the Snowden boot, but it's a fair bit more expensive than the Islay. What would you guys recommend? I love the look of both boots.
PCK's description is perfect.

Regarding the difference between Dainite and Commando the latter is better on hard surfaces like a wet pavement but will offer hardly any traction in the mud.
I might have my commando changed to Ridgeway when the time comes as the commando is prone to getting clogged up when things get extremely muddy.
post #7730 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

^ The Snowdon is far better suited to snow, though...
Yeah, says so right in the name.
post #7731 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

See, at the price difference between the two there is nothing to recommend the Alderley over the Skye to me apart from added internet kudos value and a few hundred quid less in your wallet.

I'd rather get this boot and another C&J model for the same cash - I'd also get more wear from them too, as most EG lasts are pretty unsuitable for more casual wear, in comparison with C&J's 228, 325, 335 and 365. The Alderley to me has been over-refined, more so than the Skye, meaning it's lost a lot of its potential use as a casual suede boot.

"Internet kudos"? -> I love it! rotflmao.gif

Anyway, it's true that the Alderley is more refined than the Skye (the last is more sleek and it also has the brogueing on the heel), but since I live in the city the refinedness suits me well. But if course it's all about your needs. However, after the recent price increases from C&J the price difference is not that big anymore, or at least it's not double up.
post #7732 of 12762
To be honest, I don't think any of them are right for snow or indeed rough terrain. Fine quality grained leather soaks water up like a sponge, veldtschoen or not and will be torn to pieces if you went rambling in them. Agree - the Snowdon is the best of the bunch (due to it's waxed leather upper) but I wouldn't risk it on more than a walk down a footpath, if that. Tricker's make a tough zug grained field boot, but the leather (in my experience anyway) is low quality and craps up after a year or two (it goes oily black). This type of leather is/was used on the lower-end Sanders and on the old Sargents, which are on sale now from Macsamillion in Oxford. Tricker's charge £400 for the boot, the full retail price of a Sargent is/was £200-£250. Anyway, in short if you intend walking through snow never mind rough terrain I would recommend a good pair of walking boots. Sorry. I speak from experience - I have owned/own country grain, Tricker's and tried on the Snowdon.
Edited by rabiesinfrance - 9/7/14 at 2:59am
post #7733 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

To be honest, I don't think any of them are right for snow or indeed rough terrain. Fine quality grained leather soaks water up like a sponge, veldtschoen or not and will be torn to pieces if you went rambling in them. Agree - the Snowdon is the best of the bunch (due to it's waxed leather upper) but I wouldn't risk it on more than a walk down a footpath, if that. Tricker's make a tough zug grained field boot, but the leather (in my experience anyway) is low quality and craps up after a year or two (it goes oily black). This type of leather is/was used on the lower-end Sanders and on the old Sargents, which are on sale now from Macsamillion in Oxford. Tricker's charge £400 for the boot, the full retail price of a Sargent is/was £200-£250. Anyway, in short if you intend walking through snow never mind rough terrain I would recommend a good pair of walking boots. Sorry. I speak from experience - I have owned/own country grain, Tricker's and tried on the Snowdon.

 

You shouldn't speak without having worn the Snowdon through serious terrain.

 

I have taken my Snowdon's through a foot of mud and water in a marsh while hunting and I have taken it through blizzards with more than a foot of snow. I wear it for anything that requires mud, water, or snow...except in the case where a truly high boot is necessary (more than a foot of water or mud).

 

It certainly will not be "torn to pieces". The boot is nearly indestructible and will last you for the rest of your life.

post #7734 of 12762
I say that because the Snowdon is made in quite a soft calf leather.

For the price (£475?) I'd get two top quality walking boots in strong leather.

Post some pics - see how they have held up.
post #7735 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by S K M View Post


"Internet kudos"? -> I love it! rotflmao.gif

Anyway, it's true that the Alderley is more refined than the Skye (the last is more sleek and it also has the brogueing on the heel), but since I live in the city the refinedness suits me well. But if course it's all about your needs. However, after the recent price increases from C&J the price difference is not that big anymore, or at least it's not double up.


The Alderley is one EG boot that doesn't do much for me at this point. But like you said, different strokes for different folks. However on the other hand I do have 3 Galways so I guess I've gotten enough of the internet kudus that I need. LOL

post #7736 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

The last point is definitely correct - if you're not sure on your size you're taking a risk buying from am overseas vendor. Once you know your size however, the savings buying from the uk C&J stores or from uk vendors on sale are way more than pennies.

 

Which UK stores have better prices? I've looked at a few and the prices are comparable to those at Sky Valet Shoes (which also offers free shipping in the U.S.). Here's their Crockett & Jones product page.

 

Full disclosure: I recently helped Sky Valet set up their new web site. There are a few C&J models that aren't shown yet on the site (e.g., Cottesmore, Coniston)  because I haven't gotten around to adding them. If anyone's interested in a model not shown, please let me know.

post #7737 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

I say that because the Snowdon is made in quite a soft calf leather.

For the price (£475?) I'd get two top quality walking boots in strong leather.

Post some pics - see how they have held up.

 

I would say...given the empirical evidence that I have gathered through my experiences of wearing them through thick and thin numerous times...that the Snowdon has held up excellently.

 

@aglose - to answer your question about the shaft...from the welt up it is approximately 7.5 inches...the sole (from the heel) adds another 2.

 

 

post #7738 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by westling View Post
 

 

Which UK stores have better prices? I've looked at a few and the prices are comparable to those at Sky Valet Shoes (which also offers free shipping in the U.S.). Here's their Crockett & Jones product page.

 

Full disclosure: I recently helped Sky Valet set up their new web site. There are a few C&J models that aren't shown yet on the site (e.g., Cottesmore, Coniston)  because I haven't gotten around to adding them. If anyone's interested in a model not shown, please let me know.

 

The UK shops all tend to charge about the same as one another after shipping, and are in line with the Jermyn St stores as well.  A Hallam, for example, is £305 ex-VAT and including shipping at Robert Old.  At the C&J store the base price will be a bit less but it will end up about the same after shipping.  £305 is just under $500, while the same shoe is $575 on the page you referenced - and that's if you live in a state that won't charge sales tax on internet purchases.  So the difference is about $100, which if you don't know your size and may need to exchange isn't too bad, but if you do know your size then it's quite a meaningful difference in my view. 

post #7739 of 12762
Quote:
I would say...given the empirical evidence that I have gathered through my experiences of wearing them through thick and thin numerous times...that the Snowdon has held up excellently.

 

@aglose - to answer your question about the shaft...from the welt up it is approximately 7.5 inches...the sole (from the heel) adds another 2.


 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

Those really look great.  How do you care for them?  Obenaufs/sno-seal?

post #7740 of 12762
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

The UK shops all tend to charge about the same as one another after shipping, and are in line with the Jermyn St stores as well.  A Hallam, for example, is £305 ex-VAT and including shipping at Robert Old.  At the C&J store the base price will be a bit less but it will end up about the same after shipping.  £305 is just under $500, while the same shoe is $575 on the page you referenced - and that's if you live in a state that won't charge sales tax on internet purchases.  So the difference is about $100, which if you don't know your size and may need to exchange isn't too bad, but if you do know your size then it's quite a meaningful difference in my view. 
How about the radstock oxford?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)