or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 481

post #7201 of 12785

There was a 50% sale at Hackett for C&J. It looks like they want to launch their own line of shoes. I grabbed four pairs. However, on the Merton right foot, I can see the shape of the toe box on the upper. I was just wondering if this has already happened to anyone else. It's quite noticeable, and I asked if those were sub-standards. The salesman looked at me as if I cursed and told me: "Of course not!" I still doubt it, though. 

 

Right foot:

 

Left foot:

post #7202 of 12785

I would like to know this too .. Though, I can clearly remember seeing the same thing in some John Lobb shoes sold at Barneys .. Don't know what causes this .. I thought at first someone must have tried them on and cracked the toe box area while walking in the shop ..

post #7203 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sloth View Post

There was a 50% sale at Hackett for C&J. It looks like they want to launch their own line of shoes. I grabbed four pairs. However, on the Merton right foot, I can see the shape of the toe box on the upper. I was just wondering if this has already happened to anyone else. It's quite noticeable, and I asked if those were sub-standards. The salesman looked at me as if I cursed and told me: "Of course not!" I still doubt it, though. 

Right foot:





Left foot:


In the G&G thread there is a lot of discussion by a bespoke bookmaker who criticizes some of the internal materials choices from the higher end RTW makers, particularly plastic or other synthetic toe puffs and heel cups. Of course many bespoke makers use similar pre made parts, rather than shaping leather for the same areas. I don't know anything about it but ti's probably worth checking out that other thread.
post #7204 of 12785
See the recent discussion in the G&G thread about the evils of celastic toe boxes, as articulated by DWF and Bengal-stripe. Basically you can't feather the synthetic material so it's prone to these bulges, if I understood coreectly.
post #7205 of 12785
Great minds must think alike, scurvy! cheers.gif
post #7206 of 12785

But how is it possible that not all shoes are affected with this problem?

I have the 2 exact same model of shoe, one of them doesn't have this, the other has ..

post #7207 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola View Post

But how is it possible that not all shoes are affected with this problem?


I have the 2 exact same model of shoe, one of them doesn't have this, the other has ..
I would guess there are lots of variables when it comes to making each shoe. It could be how thinly the puffer is made, how far up it is placed, how thick the uppers are, etc.

I also see this sometimes and I can see how a retailer may not consider this substantial enough to warrant a discount. I'm sure there are many customers who would not even notice it and pick it up from the rack.
post #7208 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post


I would guess there are lots of variables when it comes to making each shoe. It could be how thinly the puffer is made, how far up it is placed, how thick the uppers are, etc.

I also see this sometimes and I can see how a retailer may not consider this substantial enough to warrant a discount. I'm sure there are many customers who would not even notice it and pick it up from the rack.


Well, I am sure there will be a plenty of customers not realizing this at the moment of purchase, but I am more worried such a shoe can find it's way to the rack and pass the rigorous control of John Lobb and other high end brands meaning they are not consider this as a fault, thought it surely kills the look IMO ..

post #7209 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

Great minds must think alike, scurvy! cheers.gif

fistbump.gif
post #7210 of 12785
Quote:
Originally Posted by soender View Post
 

 

I remember you posting about them, but don't recall seing a picture. Would be nice, when you have the time.

 

Here you go...

 

 

 

 

 

post #7211 of 12785
Awesome (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTBrummie View Post

Here you go...















CTBrummie icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #7212 of 12785

Re. Pudey quality. Have no hesitation on Purdey quality. Their 325 last in dark brown is standing up well. Can recommend it without qualification.

 

Hey CTBrummie ! Your Pickering : a Coniston - but not as we now know it. This was the shade they were produced in some ten years ago. A great shade.

post #7213 of 12785

As promised the Teign unlined loafers...highly recommended.

 

 

 

 

 

post #7214 of 12785
Great looking loafer! Love all the proportions
post #7215 of 12785
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLane View Post

As promised the Teign unlined loafers...highly recommended.















Have to say that ordinarily DL these are not my thing

That said you have opened my eyes and my arm is not up my back.

They look great nod[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)