or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 461

post #6901 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

I like it but I wouldn't pay C&J price for something like that.

I hear ya.... I would love to see a suggestion if you have a pair in mind. Found an alden for the the same price but was not thrilled about the shape as much
post #6902 of 12834

Anyone knows what the 336 last is like? It's the Molton.

 

I am talking to C&J about having them make me a pair as the Molton is only sold in the US.

post #6903 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesQ View Post

For those looking to get some C&J's, Kurt Geiger have a 20% off code - KGPRIORITY - at the moment.

But they don't take off vat for overseas purchases. So not that great of a deal.
post #6904 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Haines View Post


I hear ya.... I would love to see a suggestion if you have a pair in mind. Found an alden for the the same price but was not thrilled about the shape as much

i would save the money and do one of these. They are bad for the price

 

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~A6312/A6312.jsp?color_name=navy

 

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~43275/43275.jsp?color_name=navy

 

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/oxfords/PRDOVR~43687/43687.jsp?color_name=navy

 

They all come in a few different colors.

 

I have been living in these the past few weeks

http://epauletnewyork.com/collections/carmina-footwear/products/hawthorne-handsewn-moc-snuff-suede

post #6905 of 12834

Do any of you own C&J footwear on both the 348 and 363 lasts for direct comparison purposes?  If so, then I would appreciate your thoughts on their comparative fit, especially of the 363 last relative to the 348 last.  Thank you.

 

As mentioned in some of my earlier posts on this thread, my entry point into the C&J footwear world has been via their comprehensive range of chukka boots.  Of which, I now own several pairs all in size 10E (i.e. 348 Tetbury, 348 Milton and 359 Hartland), albeit the unlined boots are worn with the addition of 348 in-socks to ensure a snugger fit.  

 

Observation: both the 363 and 359 lasts are sleek (elongated) with almond shaped toes.  So, I'm wondering whether or not they have very similar fits? If anyone who owns both last types would care to comment, then I would be grateful.  Thank you. 

 

Obviously, I'm a fan of C&J's chukka boots, which are ideal for my self employed lifestyle and preferred (non-CBD) smart/business casual standard of attire, with occasional CBD turnouts.  

 

Having said that, I'm now wishing to add some semi-brogue Oxfords into my C&J footwear line up.  In particular, I'm considering hand grade 363 Barrington 2 in antique tan and 348 Westbourne in black.  

 

Depending on how I find the 363 Barrington 2, I may place a special order for a second pair in antique dark brown too.  Alternatively, I'm also considering a special order of 348 Westbournes with the addition of a medallion (i.e. similar to Weymouth or Rosemoor) on the toe cap in both antique brown and tan colours, as I prefer medallions over blind brogues -- except on more formal black.  


Edited by BespokeKiwi - 5/12/14 at 7:14pm
post #6906 of 12834

Hi BespokeKiwi....its a good question...with a difficult answer...as this is a very subjective matter...

 

 

I own both the 348 and 363...

 

Generally...I size up a half size when going from the 348 to the 363....meaning in the 348 I wear a 10.5E and in the 363 I wear an 11E.

 

In my oxfords, monks, and derbies on the 348...I wear a 10.5E.

 

I have 2 pairs of loafers and a pair of oxfords on the 363...in all of them I wear an 11E.

 

But this is where it gets tricky with BOOTS on the 348...I fit better into an 11E.

 

 

So...this is my experience with the 348 versus the 363...

 

Whether you can decipher anything from it...I do not know...but I hope I have been of some help. All that I can say is that my experience with these two lasts is very extensive...as they are two of my favorites.

 

I also like the 341...which is very similar to the 363...but I find fits a little bit more snugly and thus translates (for my foot) to a better fit for loafers...but this is a deviation from the topic at hand...

post #6907 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

Hi BespokeKiwi....its a good question...with a difficult answer...as this is a very subjective matter...

 

 

I own both the 348 and 363...

 

Generally...I size up a half size when going from the 348 to the 363....meaning in the 348 I wear a 10.5E and in the 363 I wear an 11E.

 

In my oxfords, monks, and derbies on the 348...I wear a 10.5E.

 

I have 2 pairs of loafers and a pair of oxfords on the 363...in all of them I wear an 11E.

 

But this is where it gets tricky with BOOTS on the 348...I fit better into an 11E.

 

 

So...this is my experience with the 348 versus the 363...

 

Whether you can decipher anything from it...I do not know...but I hope I have been of some help. All that I can say is that my experience with these two lasts is very extensive...as they are two of my favorites.

 

I also like the 341...which is very similar to the 363...but I find fits a little bit more snugly and thus translates (for my foot) to a better fit for loafers...but this is a deviation from the topic at hand...

 

This passage sums up why I am so unsure about buying shoes when I haven't personally tried on the lasts. I have two pairs of shoes and a pair of boots on the 348 all in size 9.5E and they fit well.  I haven't tried the 363 but based on your experience I'd say that I need to size up for shoes on the 363.

 

EXCEPT that you say the 341 is similar to the 363 but is more snug than the 363, so presumably you're saying you'd size up on the 341 as well.  I've tried the 341.  I can size DOWN in the 341 (to 9E), and it's still got too much heel slip to be comfortable (but is comfortable and not too snug throughout the rest of the shoe).  The 9.5E is clearly too big.  Sizing up to a 10 would feel like clown shoes.  It's amazing to me to think of the 341 as being more snug than the 348... not doubting your experience at all, just noting how different feet can be.

post #6908 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

Hi BespokeKiwi....its a good question...with a difficult answer...as this is a very subjective matter...

 

 

I own both the 348 and 363...

 

Generally...I size up a half size when going from the 348 to the 363....meaning in the 348 I wear a 10.5E and in the 363 I wear an 11E.

 

In my oxfords, monks, and derbies on the 348...I wear a 10.5E.

 

I have 2 pairs of loafers and a pair of oxfords on the 363...in all of them I wear an 11E.

 

But this is where it gets tricky with BOOTS on the 348...I fit better into an 11E.

 

 

So...this is my experience with the 348 versus the 363...

 

Whether you can decipher anything from it...I do not know...but I hope I have been of some help. All that I can say is that my experience with these two lasts is very extensive...as they are two of my favorites.

 

I also like the 341...which is very similar to the 363...but I find fits a little bit more snugly and thus translates (for my foot) to a better fit for loafers...but this is a deviation from the topic at hand...

 

@PCK1 Thank you for the prompt reply, which is much appreciated.  I'll be sure to discuss with my C&J mail order contact the option of sizing up a half size, if/when I place my initial order of pair of 363 Barrington 2 shoes.  In meantime, I've got a decision to make between the options of special order 363 Barrington 2 or special order 348 Westbourne, as noted in my original post on the subject.

post #6909 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesQ View Post
 

For those looking to get some C&J's, Kurt Geiger have a 20% off code - KGPRIORITY - at the moment.

THANKS for that my friend. Snapped up a few pairs. Have a Kurt Geiger 2 mins from my office so can collect.

post #6910 of 12834
Hi, i have recently bought a CJ pembroke model in tan scotch grain...im quite happy with them, but i have some questions and it'd be great if you could please give me some advice:

Firstly, i have seen in the CJ website that the laces of the pembroke tan grain model, are a bit different from mines. The ones on the website are a bit more "orange" and mines are quite more ""darker" (they are actually black)
And the tongue of the shoe is slightly different too.... Is this normal?have they changed these little details?someone understands what i mean?

Then, is there any difference in the way that scotch grain must be cared?i mean, i have some other CJ leather models but i do not know if in this particular case I should use another care method as this is "scotch grain"

And finally, what do you think about this model?would you wear it in summer?or with grey trousers and blue jacket and a tie?or these are "too casual" for that?thank hou very much in advance.
post #6911 of 12834


X post apols
post #6912 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by treipok View Post

Hi, i have recently bought a CJ pembroke model in tan scotch grain...im quite happy with them, but i have some questions and it'd be great if you could please give me some advice:

Firstly, i have seen in the CJ website that the laces of the pembroke tan grain model, are a bit different from mines. The ones on the website are a bit more "orange" and mines are quite more ""darker" (they are actually black)
And the tongue of the shoe is slightly different too.... Is this normal?have they changed these little details?someone understands what i mean?

Then, is there any difference in the way that scotch grain must be cared?i mean, i have some other CJ leather models but i do not know if in this particular case I should use another care method as this is "scotch grain"

And finally, what do you think about this model?would you wear it in summer?or with grey trousers and blue jacket and a tie?or these are "too casual" for that?thank hou very much in advance.


I have the tan Pembrokes and i love them. I also have dark laces, but i think they look great. Can't comment on the tongue of the shoes without seeing them. They were my first pair of scotch grain, the only thing i can advise is to use a more 'liquidy' shoe cream on them, when i used saphir pommadire (which has a really thick texture) i had difficulty applying. I'v switched to saphir Surfin which is easier to apply to scotch grain.

post #6913 of 12834

I use wax on scotch grain..just like I do on calf.

post #6914 of 12834
Do any of you guys use a wax on your chestnut monkton's? I bought a tin of the Saphir neutral wax to use on brown shoes and I'm curious whether it would work on chestnut? I want to give the toe a little extra shine, not the whole shoe.

post #6915 of 12834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard View Post

Do any of you guys use a wax on your chestnut monkton's? I bought a tin of the Saphir neutral wax to use on brown shoes and I'm curious whether it would work on chestnut? I want to give the toe a little extra shine, not the whole shoe.


CB, I may be missing a trick somewhere but there is no reason, for me, that it won't work. smile.gif

Looking excellent BTW icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)