Edited by wklq76a - 4/8/14 at 7:00am
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:33 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:32 am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 3/21/17 at 6:21pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 438post #6557 of 137944/8/14 at 8:10amQuote:Originally Posted by PCK1
Yeah, interesting...cause I have the monkton and the skye in chestnut and they are both lighter.
The monkton has more of a reddish hue...and the skye is more of a chestnut yellow brown color
I've not seen C&J chestnut that dark before...and yes they will lighten with time unless you polish them with like a dark brown
PCK1 - I misspoke, the color of my Merton loafers is Beechnut burnished, not chestnut (I have corrected it in my original post). Please excuse my mistake and the confusion.post #6558 of 137944/9/14 at 11:14amQuote:Originally Posted by soender
I really enjoy the fit and sleeknes of Coniston. There is also the upside, that Purdy's versions are readily available, where both the dark grain and nubuck versions could serve as a middle ground between Coniston Tan, and Islay/Snowdon.
Only looking at the pictures, this winters C&J blue version was a faux pas imho - but there should be something for everybody's taste.
Any opinions of the Purdey boot from recent purchasers?
Personally I very happy with this discretely elegant boot, though I still prefer my more ostentatious, honey-leathered Coniston - 2001 vintage, ( a much lighter shade than current Coniston).post #6559 of 137944/9/14 at 12:03pmpost #6560 of 137944/9/14 at 12:07pmpost #6561 of 137944/9/14 at 2:34pmpost #6562 of 137944/9/14 at 3:23pmpost #6563 of 137944/9/14 at 4:51pmpost #6564 of 137944/9/14 at 4:52pmpost #6565 of 137944/9/14 at 4:53pmQuote:
I don't disagree with you. I have seen it come and go over the last few years, though. In other words, it has vanished and it has come back. My intuition says it is less likely we see it again, but not impossible.post #6566 of 137944/10/14 at 12:35pmpost #6567 of 137944/10/14 at 1:01pmpost #6568 of 137944/10/14 at 1:05pm
Good question. Not dumb at all.
Yes, other lasts will fit as well...and you should find that most will fit you just fine.
However, there is often sizing differences between different C&J lasts so if you are considering trying a different last definitely best to try them on for yourself...or at the minimum seek out advice. Depending on the last you are going with, you may have to size up a half size from the 348 or you may be able to stay with the same size.
That being said...the 348 is C&J's most prevalent last...and there are many choices to pick from...so if it fits well...perhaps you can search around and find a different style that you prefer without having to change lasts.post #6569 of 137944/10/14 at 1:12pm
Thank you. Very informative!
I just found this and this happens to be last 348 as well. I asked this same question in another thread but DMs are just as CBD as oxfords, right?post #6570 of 137944/10/14 at 1:24pm
I can tell your from my personal experience that the Lowndes are a lovely shoe...I have 2 pairs of them on the 348.
And I know @Cleav will vouch for me as well as he also has a pair (though they are on the 341 if memory serves me right).
But, whether they are CBD or not, is a very subjective matter. Most will tell you that any buckle shoe is less formal than an oxford. I tend to lean towards this opinion as well, when worn with a CBD suit (solid blues and greys). However, if you search on the Italian CBD thread you will definitely see some photos of dub monks being worn...and the Lowndes in Dark Brown Calf is more conservative than other dubmonks as it is dark brown, dressy last, nothing outlandish like contrast stitching
That being said, I definitely think that it can be pulled off very well with conservative suits...and of course any variety of classic menswear (i.e., odd sportcoats & odd trouser combos).
I guess the questions are...
1. What is your intended purpose of use? I've seen you on the WAYWRN...you tend to lean towards CBD suits...so i presume this...
2. What other shoes do you have in your wardrobe? If you have oxfords pretty well covered...then it might be nice to branch out to a double monk such as the Lowndes...
3. Are you open to using this shoe for more than just the purpose of business dress?
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 3 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 9 minutes ago
- › NIKE Thread 15 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 18 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 27 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 29 minutes ago
- › ***The Official eBay / B&S / eShop Someone-Should-Kop Thread*** 37 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 46 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 48 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...