Either way, you're going to be happy.
Plus, if you're anything like me, you'll end up buying both anyways.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:09 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/18/17 at 1:12pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 3/24/17 at 12:33pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on 3/24/17 at 12:35pm in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 377post #5641 of 138311/20/14 at 11:08ampost #5642 of 138311/20/14 at 11:15ampost #5643 of 138311/20/14 at 11:32ampost #5644 of 138311/20/14 at 11:54ampost #5645 of 138311/20/14 at 12:57pmI have owned both the Skye 2 and Now I have the Islay boots. I prefer the Islay over the Skye boots but that is only due to personal choice. Both are great boots but the Skye may be slightly more dressier IMHO the Islay suits my needs perfectly for the moment.
If I were to buy a Cordovan boots again it would be the Harlech but with a rubber sole.post #5646 of 138311/20/14 at 5:06pmQuote:
They look great!
It's been very hard not to put a nice mirror shine on the toe of my Islays. I do like the matte sheen they've developed with just a bit of conditioner and some brushing...but the tinkerer in me just wants to shine 'em up!post #5647 of 138311/21/14 at 11:23ampost #5648 of 138311/21/14 at 1:40pm
@BootSpell - unfortunately I can't comment. I tried the Conniston's on a long while ago, but don't remember enough to be able to give you a full comparison. I'll probably be back in the shop in the coming weeks and will give them a try and report back.
@tifosi - IMO i'd go with the SKYE2 first because of the cordovan. It's a boot that will last you the rest of your lifetime if properly maintained. I do agree though that the SKYE2 comes across as a dressier boot than the Islay...so you should take that into consideration.
@Cleav - The Grenville....that shoe is beautiful and what a beautiful color leather. I've been eyeing those for a loooooooong time. They look great too with the socks/pants.post #5649 of 138311/21/14 at 2:04pmpost #5650 of 138311/21/14 at 2:18pmpost #5651 of 138311/21/14 at 3:22pm
I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me with a sizing question. I would like to purchase my first loafer - Sydney in Snuff Suede. I wear an 11.5 E on the 348 last and a 12 E in the Islay and Coniston boot. Would it be best to order the 11.5 E on the 341 last, or size down to an 11 ?post #5652 of 138311/22/14 at 2:14amQuote:Originally Posted by 68Bullitt
I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me with a sizing question. I would like to purchase my first loafer - Sydney in Snuff Suede. I wear an 11.5 E on the 348 last and a 12 E in the Islay and Coniston boot. Would it be best to order the 11.5 E on the 341 last, or size down to an 11 ?
I find the Sydney to be TTS, unless it is the unlined version (Teign) where sizing down half works best.post #5653 of 138311/23/14 at 12:01pmQuote:Originally Posted by embromides
Hi, t44tq. I've had my Pudey boots some weeks now. I alternate them with my Coniston, my Harlech and my Cheaney Cairngorms (derby veldtschoens - a D fitting, now discontinued). They are indeed made by Crockett and have the same pattern number stamped inside as the Coniston. They are not a "D" specification, just the standard Coniston last which is more generous in a boot than the 325 last in a Derby or Oxford shoe - to allow for thicker socks I presume. I cannot wear the 325 last in a shoe - just too tight a fit in width.
I ordered from Purdey in London by phone, £395. I'm pleased with them, though I've taken to using a burgundy polish to maintain their dark brown colouring. I would choose them over the Islay if you prefer a sleeker style of boot - I like my brouging on an Oxford shoe.
I hope they will serve me as well as my eleven year old Conistons.
So, how are your new Purdey's holding out for you? Anything to report (as far as leather quality of the Purdey makeup vs. regular C&J is concerned)? Not sure if it was you but there were reports that the Purdey had a thinner leather? Thinking about ordering from Purdey at some point and wanted to check this.post #5654 of 138311/23/14 at 1:21pmpost #5655 of 138311/23/14 at 1:35pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 1 minute ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 2 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 5 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 6 minutes ago
- › NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread 6 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 10 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...