363 and 358 are about the same length
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:41 pm in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 9:31 am in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 7:49 am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 322post #4816 of 118439/23/13 at 8:15ampost #4817 of 118439/23/13 at 8:31amThe Shipton & Heneage Winchester by Crockett & Jones arrived this morning. Here’s a link to the shoe:
I paid $385 - $50 discount + $25 shipping for a total of $360 or a little more than AE retail. The box appears to be the same green C&J benchgrade box without a logo on top plus a S&H sticker on the front. No bags included.
The sole and heel seem identical to my benchgrade shoes. If there’s a difference in leather quality or construction I can’t tell it.
The stitching and perforations are flawless. The perforation pattern around the laces, opening and heel cap are identical to my handgrade Cliffords and equal in precision. The seam at the back of the heel cap of the Cliffords is reinforced with an additional row of stitching but this seam looks the same as my benchgrade shoes.
(Clifford top, Winchester bottom)
The leather quality of the uppers is definitely a notch below benchgrade and more on par with or a little above AE levels. I’m not an expert on leather at all, but there are a lot more little micro-creases forming than I’ve experienced on my benchgrade C&Js.
(AE Delray, Winchester, Hallam)
The insole and leather on the interior of the shoe seems to be identical to benchgrade with one major change - the front part of the shoe under the vamp and toe is not leather lined! The printing reads “leather upper/lining” but clearly the lining is some sort of canvas there. I must admit, his was a bit of a surprise. That part would be below AE standards as the AEs I have are all fully lined. The eyelets are all reinforced underneath like the Hallams.
This is my first experience with the 236 last. UK9 seems to be the correct size for me but it is definitely a bit shorter than the 348 last that my other benchgrade (Hallam, Lowndes, Westbourne) shoes are on. 348 is a long last though.
It’s a nice, well made shoe. It’s not to C&J benchgrade standards but it seems like a pretty decent shoe nonetheless. You get what you pay for and here they compromised on the leather lining at the front and the leather quality of the uppers. The other details seem more in line with benchgrade level.post #4818 of 118439/23/13 at 9:57amThat leather/twill lining is unexpected to me, my Wilton were fully leather lined.
Probably they adjusted the specs to maintein the same (low) price,
(They cost almost the same since many years, few years ago they retail for just 20 £ or so under C&J, now they are under 100£ or more!)
Regarding the leather quality I am not sure they are inferior only for the creases (that look normal to me)
Probably the leather is clicked in a way that use more part of the hide with less waste of material, but it could be the same leather used for benchgrade.
But probably we'll never know the real specs, the shoes are very nice and with great price/quality/aesthetic ratio, enjoy them!post #4819 of 118439/23/13 at 11:10amQuote:
How in the world are there really not creases on those? Do you float across the ground without walking when you wear these? :)post #4820 of 118439/23/13 at 11:20ampost #4821 of 118439/23/13 at 12:28pmpost #4822 of 118439/23/13 at 12:31pmQuote:
Intriguing. My Alden and Crockett and Jones I use shoes trees in. I don't wipe and buff them as often as I should probably. I wonder if my shoes trees aren't large enough for my shoes (even though they are labeled for that size of shoe). Do you upsize on your shoe trees to get them to fill your shoes out more to correct folding?post #4823 of 118439/23/13 at 12:33pmpost #4824 of 118439/23/13 at 12:33pmpost #4825 of 118439/23/13 at 12:40pmpost #4826 of 118439/23/13 at 12:44pmpost #4827 of 118439/23/13 at 12:44pmpost #4828 of 118439/23/13 at 12:46pmpost #4829 of 118439/23/13 at 3:35pmpost #4830 of 118439/24/13 at 1:39amQuote:
Sorry for missing that one... Shipton shoes are all made in the same UK factory, but we would not like to comment on the quality of their branded shoes.
Crockett & Jones Online
Edited by CandJONLINE - 9/24/13 at 3:36am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE - July 22, 2016: Victory in Detail 16 minutes ago
- › Crockett and Jones UK 7.5E Grasmere 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Video Games 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 hour, 20 minutes ago
- › P Johnson Goodies 36-38(slim) 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 1 hour, 48 minutes ago
- › How to take care of driving shoes? 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 hour, 58 minutes ago
- › The Official Vintage Clothing and Accessories Thread 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding