Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:43 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 2/9/16 at 5:20pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 2:24 am in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 292
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4367 of 111097/28/13 at 10:54amQuote:Originally Posted by CTBrummie
Pics are appalling, sorry. My camera is packed away somewhere whilst renovating the house so relied on my mobile and poor lighting, hah!
Hopefully you've got a vague idea now though. Not sure I'd wear them often with denim if they were more polished (prefer the Islay or Snowdon for denim anyway) but I think they work nicely with chinos and a shirt for a business casual environment. Tattoos are optional.
Thanks it helps alot. When wearing them, you mostly dress them up right?post #4368 of 111097/28/13 at 11:41ampost #4369 of 111097/28/13 at 12:19pmpost #4370 of 111097/28/13 at 12:47pmpost #4371 of 111097/28/13 at 2:51pmpost #4372 of 111097/29/13 at 5:12pmpost #4373 of 111097/29/13 at 8:52pmpost #4374 of 111097/29/13 at 10:31pmpost #4375 of 111097/30/13 at 6:02amQuote:Originally Posted by Tuur
I do have a follow up question. Was their a lot of difference breaking in your Selbourne's as opposed to your Hallam's?
Before I buy my new pair of C&J I have to be sure about size. I bought my Edgware UK8 (true to size) and I have worn them 7-8 days by now. I don't have any fit-problems around the toes. They hurted a little bit at first but now I'm very comfortable in that zone.
At the heel they are not perfectly comfortable yet. I still expierence some heel slip, although it's not a big problem and it doesn't give me blisters. When I'm standing and move my foot as far upfront as I can there is just a little bit of room at the heel, I barely can squeeze a finger between the heel counter and the heel, so normally that fit should be perfect as well. Yet, when I'm wearing the shoes I have the impression that there is a lot of room there (heel slip).
I've read on the internet that the Edgware's are not easy to break in, probably as a result of the stiff leather that is used for these shoes. Would this indeed be the problem? Do you think the shoes are not completely broken in after 7-8 days? Maybe I have to size down (a half a size) on my next C&J? I have to size that when I walk in them the leather still makes that typical sound of stiff leather.
Here is a picture of my shoes. I think the creases are normal and don't give the impression that my shoes are too big nor too small..?
I'll write a little follow-up for those who are interested. Today I went to the Brussels C&J to buy a new pair of shoes, a half-size smaller then my Edgware's to avoid the heel-slippage on my Edgware's. I explained my problem to the store manager who took a good look at my feet and she was of the opinion that the heel slippage is caused by my rather small heels. She said I have strange feet; normal-broad at the toes and very small at the heels. She said I shouldn't size down as she expects it would cause problems at the toes (she was rather surprised I didn't have toe-issues with the current UK8 size) and it would probably not solve the heel problem. After that she felt at the shoes and said that that the heel counter is still very stiff. She expects that I will be fine in a month or so if I keep wearing them, softening the leather. She also advised to wait until then to buy a second pair of shoes.
She also said that C&J shoes should be rather comfortable immediately after purchase (somebody said the same thing here in reaction on my previous post) but that it is normal that the break-in period is much longer for somebody with very small heels.
I was very happy with her service and help. I'll be patient and wear them another month and half and reevaluate after that (I'll write another follow-up post too). Thanks for all of your kind comments and help!post #4376 of 111097/30/13 at 7:17ampost #4377 of 111097/30/13 at 7:28amQuote:Originally Posted by chipshot
For those who have both the Crockett & Jones Unlined Harvard Cordovan Penny and the Alden LHS Unlined Cordovan Penny. Do you use the Alden Van equivalent UK size on the Harvard? UK8E Harvard, US9D Alden. Thanks! I'd like to order the correct size coming out of the gate this time....
I have the harvard in dark brown shell...I am a US9D TTS....I took a UK8.5 and it was just dandy.post #4378 of 111097/30/13 at 8:06ampost #4379 of 111097/30/13 at 8:18ampost #4380 of 111097/30/13 at 8:23am
- ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 9 seconds ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 17 seconds ago
- › NWT ISAIA windowpane plaid sport jacket EU52R 1 minute ago
- › Ten Ties, Five Jackets (10/5 thread) 1 minute ago
- › Reasons why New York Sucks 1 minute ago
- › Random food thoughts - Street edition 2 minutes ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 2 minutes ago
- › Daily CE Musings of Piob 2 minutes ago
- › The Possibly Official Engineered Garments Trading Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Gun Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...