Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:12 am in Classic Menswear
- Sole Welting Last post on 1/14/16 at 8:10am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on 2/9/16 at 5:20pm in Classic Menswear
- St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread Last post on Today at 5:49 am in Classic Menswear
Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- How do I polish my shoes but preserve the color of the contrast...Last edited: 2/8/16
- The Definitive FAQ and/or Wiki on Alden FootwearLast edited: 2/1/16
- Primer: Things you should have known about shoes and shoe care but...Last edited: 2/1/16
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 282post #4216 of 111097/11/13 at 6:44am
Styleforum Top Pickspost #4217 of 111097/11/13 at 8:15ampost #4218 of 111097/11/13 at 8:20amQuote:The leather uppers of the BB versions are typically not as nice as the HG, but that is just my opinion and not sure if it is fact. Definitely the price difference, especially during sales, gives the edge to BB.Quote:Have had them for a few years. I rotate them with my AS Fordham and Tricker's Stow as my foul-weather boots. Only compliant with the Islay is that it does not have bellows tongue. The grain leather definitely hides the wear and tear well.post #4219 of 111097/11/13 at 8:22ampost #4220 of 111097/11/13 at 8:31ampost #4221 of 111097/11/13 at 5:21pmQuote:Originally Posted by DpprDr
Question about anyone who owns the Harvard (shell or calf): does the loafer's inside to portion have a linen lining? I was surprised to see that the shell pair I have has shell lining but at the tip has a linen lining. I wonder if this was done because of the lasting/shaping process...
ive seen this in other shoes. It looks soft but its actually really firm. Once I took apart a pair of trickers and pulled out the toe cap reinforcement you describe. Once removed, the toe cap lost some of its shape but I prefer that look on a pair of beaters.post #4222 of 111097/11/13 at 5:25pmpost #4223 of 111097/12/13 at 9:19ampost #4224 of 111097/12/13 at 9:40amCongrats! That's a heckuva way to start a membership.
If you haven't cross posted already, I'm sure the oglers on the Recent Purchases thread will enjoy your contribution: http://www.styleforum.net/t/79083/recent-purchases
And, Welcome to StyleForum.post #4225 of 111097/12/13 at 11:00ampost #4226 of 111097/12/13 at 12:07pmQuote:
I (surprise, surprise) own both the Islay and the Pembroke. I say they have different purposes. I use my Pembrokes for trekking around during rainy days; My Islays are primary worn during REALLY bad weather (e.g., thunderstorms) and I have to get around. The fit of the Pembroke is closer to a smart shoe whereas the Islay is generously sized for a country boot (paired with thicker socks). I do like the taller shaft of the Islay (taller than my AS Fordham and Tricker's Stow) so it offers more support.
Hope this helps.post #4227 of 111097/12/13 at 12:09pmQuote:
I will, for now on, call you "the surgeon"post #4228 of 111097/12/13 at 12:18pmpost #4229 of 111097/12/13 at 1:03pm
- ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
Styleforum Top Picks
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?
Currently, there are 1517 Active Users (369 Members and 1148 Guests)
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 2 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 2 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 3 minutes ago
- › NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 4 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 5 minutes ago
- › The Walking Dead (AMC) 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...