or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 125

post #1861 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

I'm thinking about getting pair of C&J Weymouth in dark brown. I can order them through Pediwear but they will not be delivered until November timeframe. I emailed the C&J store in NYC and they have my size in stock but they want almost $300 more than Pediwear. Does anybody know why there is such an extreme cost difference? I'd be willing to pay a little more but not $300.

US retail for handgrade is around the $700 - $800 range I thought.
post #1862 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

I'm thinking about getting pair of C&J Weymouth in dark brown. I can order them through Pediwear but they will not be delivered until November timeframe. I emailed the C&J store in NYC and they have my size in stock but they want almost $300 more than Pediwear. Does anybody know why there is such an extreme cost difference? I'd be willing to pay a little more but not $300.

Price gouging people that don't know better. Order direct from C&J UK or other UK retailers like Robert Old.
post #1863 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

US retail for handgrade is around the $700 - $800 range I thought.

The quote I got from C&J was $860 with shoe trees. I'm assuming shipping would be free. If I remember correct the price from Pediwear was just over $500 (without trees) with the exchange rate.
post #1864 of 13176
How do I order direct from C&J in the UK? Do I need to email them?
post #1865 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

How do I order direct from C&J in the UK? Do I need to email them?

message in a bottle
post #1866 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor View Post

The quote I got from C&J was $860 with shoe trees. I'm assuming shipping would be free. If I remember correct the price from Pediwear was just over $500 (without trees) with the exchange rate.

That sounds about right. I think shoe trees are somewhere around $90 - $100, so that puts the shoes at about $700 - $800.

I think Pediwear price is around $575 at an exchange of 1.55 not including VAT. The price does jump up a bit because its imported here to the U.S.
post #1867 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

message in a bottle

Smoke signal!

E-mail any of the stores. I get responses within 48 hours. Also, I believe they can procure inventories from one another so selection is typically very good.
post #1868 of 13176
I apologize if I am misunderstanding something but why would ordering through C&J in the UK be cheaper than ordering from the NY location?
post #1869 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedin View Post

Winter is coming.... Best to prepare.
C&J Islay in dark brown.

post #1870 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfancher View Post

I apologize if I am misunderstanding something but why would ordering through C&J in the UK be cheaper than ordering from the NY location?

C&J has to pay duty on shoes that they import, while you don't if you import yourself.
post #1871 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidus View Post

C&J has to pay duty on shoes that they import, while you don't if you import yourself.

That is not true. An individual faces the same laws as a business and thus may have to pay duty too. Moreover, fees may be imposed by the broker, shipper, warehouse, and anyone else who puts their hands on your parcel.

The import tariff for UK-made leather boots imposed by the US 8.5%. For UK-made leather shoes it's 5%. Will the items be inspected and tariff be levied? Case by case. Customs agents are part of homeland security, so perhaps items other than C&J footwear are of greater interest.

Here's a tariff calculator, http://www.dutycalculator.com. I don't know how up to date it is; bilateral and multilateral FTA's have liberalization schedules that reduce the rates incrementally over a period of several years. Rates don't always decrease; in some cases the trade agreements have safeguards that allow an importing country to raise rates or impose quotas if imports surge "too much" in a given period.

Here is the Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States, http://hts.usitc.gov/. Chapters of likely interest to the 'Mercan SF community are Section XI and Section XII. Section VIII, too.
Edited by curzon - 7/25/12 at 3:23am
post #1872 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfancher View Post

I apologize if I am misunderstanding something but why would ordering through C&J in the UK be cheaper than ordering from the NY location?

Pricing in different countries is not a purely exchange rate driven exercise. It's based upon what the local market will pay for the goods.

The prices are based upon what the local market will bear. In the UK there are more better made shoes at lower prices. C&J has a niche between above some of those lower priced makers but below others. C&J prices based upon that market. In the US there are fewer quality shoemakers and C&J markets itself as more upscale. It still doesn't price as high as EG, but there are far fewer outlets and the market is more controlled. Supply being restricted and down market competitors being fewer, C&J can price higher based upon the US market.
post #1873 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman View Post

Pricing in different countries is not a purely exchange rate driven exercise. It's based upon what the local market will pay for the goods.
The prices are based upon what the local market will bear. In the UK there are more better made shoes at lower prices. C&J has a niche between above some of those lower priced makers but below others. C&J prices based upon that market. In the US there are fewer quality shoemakers and C&J markets itself as more upscale. It still doesn't price as high as EG, but there are far fewer outlets and the market is more controlled. Supply being restricted and down market competitors being fewer, C&J can price higher based upon the US market.

Yes, I understand the concept if I was living in the UK but I would imagine C&j would see that I am ordering from the US and thus charge the US retail rate. At any rate, I will email them and compare myself.
post #1874 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfancher View Post

Yes, I understand the concept if I was living in the UK but I would imagine C&j would see that I am ordering from the US and thus charge the US retail rate. At any rate, I will email them and compare myself.

That's one thing I don't get. As a business, C&J UK should restrict sales to countries where they have a company store or where their products can be purchased in country. The C&J UK stores are stealing sales away from their in country suppliers. This is great for us that know that buying straight from C&J UK is cheaper than buying from C&J US though.
post #1875 of 13176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston S. View Post

That's one thing I don't get. As a business, C&J UK should restrict sales to countries where they have a company store or where their products can be purchased in country. The C&J UK stores are stealing sales away from their in country suppliers. This is great for us that know that buying straight from C&J UK is cheaper than buying from C&J US though.

The subtotal (minus VAT) is cheaper if ordered through C&J UK compared to ordering MSRP in the US (asuming US based) but this is only true if fees and tariffs are not added. If you buy shoes from the UK and they are inspected and deemed merchandise in customs, then you will be subject to fees. These fees closely resemble the difference 'saved' from buying in the US. How often this happens varies depending on the carrier used. It always seems like a 'deal' until you receive the bill.

The same argument can be made if you live in a different state and ordered from C&J NYC. If I purchase from the NYC store, I have to pay city and sales tax whereas someone in CT can order shoes and avoid the taxes.

Regarding limiting business, there are many benefits of having a B&M store such has the ability to be fitted properly, handling the merchandise, and developing a relationship with the sales staff. I assume there are enough people who prefer to shop via this method especially if they are less familiar with C&J shoes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)