or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 792

post #11866 of 13151
It doesn't look like a problem of tried on shoes but a problem of the overlapping between layers: toe stiffener, lining, vamp/cap toe leather.

This could happen with factory made shoes where layers aren't perfectly skived.
post #11867 of 13151
So I was able to try on navy Pembrokes in the NYC store however they cost close to $700. Is there a cheaper place I can order these from?
post #11868 of 13151

I want to buy a Boston, Last 314 loafer in calf.

 

My sizes are:

 

Nike, NB and Reebok 11USA

Adidas, Vans: 10,5 USA

RW IR and 975 10USA

Wolverine 9,5 USA

Alden Aberdeen 10USA

Carmina Uetam 9UK.

Clarks 9UK.

 

 

C&J Boston 9UK or 9,5UK?

 

 

Regards.

post #11869 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotId View Post

So I was able to try on navy Pembrokes in the NYC store however they cost close to $700. Is there a cheaper place I can order these from?

 

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockettandjones/products/5550.php

post #11870 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

It doesn't look like a problem of tried on shoes but a problem of the overlapping between layers: toe stiffener, lining, vamp/cap toe leather.

This could happen with factory made shoes where layers aren't perfectly skived.

Indeed!

post #11871 of 13151

Hi gentlemen,

I'm currently in the process of fine tuning my size for a GMTO of the Lindrick (as was posted above) as well as the GMTO for the whisky Marlow wingtip.  I've been in contact with Lauren at C&J and she has been helpful so far, but I also wanted to gather some further insight from you seasoned veterans.

 

I measure out at about an 8.5E on the brannock.  The bulk of my shoe wardrobe is AE, and I've never tried Alden so I don't have any good comparison.  I typically wear 9E or 8.5E in most AE lasts.  I have tried on the RL Marlow wingtip (this year's stock, if that matters) in US sizing.  It seemed to me as though the Marlow ran "long" - in several AE shoes, a 9D fits me ok if not a little snug in width, but the 9D in the RL Marlow felt/looked huge on me.

 

-9D was way too long

-8.5D was pretty good - a touch long but enough width that this would be my ideal size in a D width

-8D was definitely too snug in all directions

 

In addition, I also own a pair of C&J for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece longwing bluchers on the 325 last (in my avatar) in size US 8.5D that fit me well.  Similar to the Marlow - maybe a touch long, but the width is good.

 

I am trying to emulate the sizing of the US 8.5D Marlow for both my Lindrick and Marlow in UK sizing.  They will only come in E widths, which I understand is UK's "normal" width, and the rough equivalent to the D width.  In speaking with Lauren, she mentioned that the UK "E" is slightly wider than the "D" I am used to here in the US, but I don't know if that's true or if she was trying to explain the difference between an E and a D both in UK or what....

 

Anyway, her recommendation so far seems to be UK 8E for both.  All my life I have been under the impression that UK and US sizing differs by 1 full size, and to my mind a UK 8E would fit like a US 9D (which, as I discussed above, was way too long in the RL Marlow).  I also understand there is confusion surrounding the RL Marlow sizing and whether it's truly US or UK sizes on the website, etc.

 

Unfortunately I don't live near NYC or anywhere that I could try on the various models in UK sizing.  Any helpful suggestions on sizing?  The biggest help would be if someone could help me ascertain whether a 7.5E or 8E would be closest to the US 8.5D RL Marlow sizing.

 

Thanks!

post #11872 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

It doesn't look like a problem of tried on shoes but a problem of the overlapping between layers: toe stiffener, lining, vamp/cap toe leather.

This could happen with factory made shoes where layers aren't perfectly skived.

Is it something I'd ask for a discount or exchange?
post #11873 of 13151
@BackInTheJox,

I got my Lindricks this week. I'm a 10US on the brannock, but I have narrowish, rather low-volume feet. When I was trying to figure out sizing for the Lindrick/Marlow, I was told that for the US market, C&J shoes are off by half a size, so a 9UK would be a 9.5US. That has not been my experience. I went with a 9UK as recommended and it's bigger than my pair of Carmina boots on the Forest last in a 9UK. And the difference isn't merely the outsole because I'm using a large pair of shoetrees in the Lindricks, which have proved to be too big for actual 9.5US shoes. For what it's worth, I'm rather pleased with the fit of the Lindricks considering that the sizing was based purely on an educated guess by C&J. However, I'm not optimistic about the Marlows fitting well due to the shape of my feet. Having said that, I'd still go with the recommendation of C&J. I feel like the 8.5 would have been a bit tighter than I'd prefer in the Lindrick, but who knows.
post #11874 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Hi gentlemen,
I'm currently in the process of fine tuning my size for a GMTO of the Lindrick (as was posted above) as well as the GMTO for the whisky Marlow wingtip.  I've been in contact with Lauren at C&J and she has been helpful so far, but I also wanted to gather some further insight from you seasoned veterans.

I measure out at about an 8.5E on the brannock.  The bulk of my shoe wardrobe is AE, and I've never tried Alden so I don't have any good comparison.  I typically wear 9E or 8.5E in most AE lasts.  I have tried on the RL Marlow wingtip (this year's stock, if that matters) in US sizing.  It seemed to me as though the Marlow ran "long" - in several AE shoes, a 9D fits me ok if not a little snug in width, but the 9D in the RL Marlow felt/looked huge on me.

-9D was way too long
-8.5D was pretty good - a touch long but enough width that this would be my ideal size in a D width
-8D was definitely too snug in all directions

In addition, I also own a pair of C&J for Brooks Brothers Black Fleece longwing bluchers on the 325 last (in my avatar) in size US 8.5D that fit me well.  Similar to the Marlow - maybe a touch long, but the width is good.

I am trying to emulate the sizing of the US 8.5D Marlow for both my Lindrick and Marlow in UK sizing.  They will only come in E widths, which I understand is UK's "normal" width, and the rough equivalent to the D width.  In speaking with Lauren, she mentioned that the UK "E" is slightly wider than the "D" I am used to here in the US, but I don't know if that's true or if she was trying to explain the difference between an E and a D both in UK or what....

Anyway, her recommendation so far seems to be UK 8E for both.  All my life I have been under the impression that UK and US sizing differs by 1 full size, and to my mind a UK 8E would fit like a US 9D (which, as I discussed above, was way too long in the RL Marlow).  I also understand there is confusion surrounding the RL Marlow sizing and whether it's truly US or UK sizes on the website, etc.

Unfortunately I don't live near NYC or anywhere that I could try on the various models in UK sizing.  Any helpful suggestions on sizing?  The biggest help would be if someone could help me ascertain whether a 7.5E or 8E would be closest to the US 8.5D RL Marlow sizing.

Thanks!
I believe you have all the info you need to ask Lauren. Tell her the Marlow size that works for you and she will convert it to UK sizing. When I did the same I was told a 10.5D Marlow equals a 10E UK. I suspect she will tell you the 8.5D Marlow equals 8E UK. By the way, when I say equals I mean equals, not near or approximate.
post #11875 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocohillsguy View Post

I believe you have all the info you need to ask Lauren. Tell her the Marlow size that works for you and she will convert it to UK sizing. When I did the same I was told a 10.5D Marlow equals a 10E UK. I suspect she will tell you the 8.5D Marlow equals 8E UK. By the way, when I say equals I mean equals, not near or approximate.

Thanks, she and I have actually discussed it and recommended an 8E UK, I was just looking for a little experiential confirmation from others in my position.

I'm your instance, what was the result? Did you buy a pair of 10E Marlows? Did they truly fit the same as 10.5D US?
post #11876 of 13151
I think one thing throwing me off here is the following statement she made in an email to me:

"The Lindrick's are going to be made on the E fitting last, which is a little wider than the D, so this is why we tend to go half a size down"

This was after I referenced wearing 8.5D US. I was under the impression UK E was the same as US D.
post #11877 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

I think one thing throwing me off here is the following statement she made in an email to me:

"The Lindrick's are going to be made on the E fitting last, which is a little wider than the D, so this is why we tend to go half a size down"

This was after I referenced wearing 8.5D US. I was under the impression UK E was the same as US D.

Us D is more likely to be a Uk D because insole is marked with a "4" so narrower than the insole of Uk E marked with a "5".

So seem they use a single scale for width (like Edward green) and two scales for lenght (uk/us)

It is pretty confusing and what they said sometimes don't correspond to buyers experience
post #11878 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

Thanks, she and I have actually discussed it and recommended an 8E UK, I was just looking for a little experiential confirmation from others in my position.

I'm your instance, what was the result? Did you buy a pair of 10E Marlows? Did they truly fit the same as 10.5D US?
I'm awaiting delivery so I can not give a definite confirmation, but I think you may be confusing two issues. How CJ's UK sizing generally compare to traditional US sizes, and how do they compare to US sized Marlows? Sizing can be a challenge when you don't have an opportunity to try on the shoes. Many find the Marlows run a half size too large, others like me do not although I don't like my shoes too snug and I like that the laces don't leave much of a gap. In your case, you've had the good fortune to be able to try on the Marlows, and have found a size that works. Now the only issue is to determine the appropriate conversion factor between how the Marlows are marked and how you convert them to UK size. That's an easy exercise for Lauren.
post #11879 of 13151

Snagged these C&J Sedgemoor 2 suede PTBs on the 335 last. 

 

post #11880 of 13151
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

Us D is more likely to be a Uk D because insole is marked with a "4" so narrower than the insole of Uk E marked with a "5".

So seem they use a single scale for width (like Edward green) and two scales for lenght (uk/us)

It is pretty confusing and what they said sometimes don't correspond to buyers experience

Hmmmm...,. So you're suggesting that the D width used for the Marlows sold on Ralph Lauren's US website may, in fact, be a UK D width? I've seen some people suggest and refute that on here before. I don't have a pair in my possession to look and see if they put a number (4 or 5) inside as well.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)