or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 713

post #10681 of 12827
I've never owned a pair of high end suede shoes or boots. I recently ordered a pair of the BB brown suede captoe boots. They fit well and seem nice. However the suede seems to have gotten a bit scuffed up, either in the store or perhaps during another customer's home try on. I kind of wiped the suede with my hands to smooth it out and make it all go in one direction (don't have a suede brush yet). This cleaned it up a bit but some scuffs still remain. I'm wondering if this will come out with a proper brushing, or if this is how it's always going to look.

Here is a pic of the area I'm most concerned about:



Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
post #10682 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post

^ It's hard to suggest a size/last combination when you acknowledge that you don't usually wear your true/brannock size.

Why not ask the C&J store people for a recommendation? You visited the store and the salesperson would at least faintly remember something about your footshape if the visit was recent

I understand. As the C&J RTW shoes come only in E width, I will have to go down from my brannock size of 10.5 B. Just wanted an idea which of the above 5 lasts run true to size in 9.5 E, my most likely size in C&J RTW collection.
post #10683 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosy View Post

I've never owned a pair of high end suede shoes or boots. I recently ordered a pair of the BB brown suede captoe boots. They fit well and seem nice. However the suede seems to have gotten a bit scuffed up, either in the store or perhaps during another customer's home try on. I kind of wiped the suede with my hands to smooth it out and make it all go in one direction (don't have a suede brush yet). This cleaned it up a bit but some scuffs still remain. I'm wondering if this will come out with a proper brushing, or if this is how it's always going to look.

Here is a pic of the area I'm most concerned about:



Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

That is how suede works, embrace the chaos. As the nap gets worn, it will disappear. If you have a white eraser (drawing quality not pink) you can use that while you are waiting for the brush.

 

Enjoy, DL-

post #10684 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMurtaza View Post


I understand. As the C&J RTW shoes come only in E width, I will have to go down from my brannock size of 10.5 B. Just wanted an idea which of the above 5 lasts run true to size in 9.5 E, my most likely size in C&J RTW collection.

 

from my limited experience,

the 358 runs tts (but elongated and some would say narrow),

the 348 is the benchgrade version of 358 and runs a hair longer than 358;

the 325 E would be too wide/voluminous for your B width foot (but sizing down might leave your toes cramped;

the 341 runs comfortably TTS but a tad short in the toes so if you're sizing down to get the width right, it might be too short.

 

if I were to guess among the above, the 358/348 would be your best bet. Alternatively you can email the C&J store (Ny or london) and see if they can special order something in your correct size/width (even a UK D would be better than trying to size down in the UK standard E width shoes)

post #10685 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post

from my limited experience,
the 358 runs tts (but elongated and some would say narrow),
the 348 is the benchgrade version of 358 and runs a hair longer than 358;
the 325 E would be too wide/voluminous for your B width foot (but sizing down might leave your toes cramped;
the 341 runs comfortably TTS but a tad short in the toes so if you're sizing down to get the width right, it might be too short.

if I were to guess among the above, the 358/348 would be your best bet. Alternatively you can email the C&J store (Ny or london) and see if they can special order something in your correct size/width (even a UK D would be better than trying to size down in the UK standard E width shoes)

Thank you. I am returning a 358 in size US 9E to a local retailer in DC and I can only get an exchange, not a store refund. 358 in US 9.5E was big and that is why I initially went with with size US 9E when I was in DC for vacations. What about the two other hand grade lasts, 337 and 363? The retailer had few shoes on these lasts. As mentioned earlier, my size on brannock is 10.5B but have mostly worn 9.5D in RTW shoes.

Plus, will a camberly boot on the 348 last run larger than a shoe on the same last? Asking this because boots should be larger than shoes on the same last.
post #10686 of 12827

^^ unfortunately I dont have experience wearing the 363 or 337

 as for camberley - aren't those the doble monk boots? sizing on that would be very tricky for someone with narrow feet, since you need a correct fit to not get a ton of heel slip on monk-styles

post #10687 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinsanfran View Post
 

^^ unfortunately I dont have experience wearing the 363 or 337

 as for camberley - aren't those the doble monk boots? sizing on that would be very tricky for someone with narrow feet, since you need a correct fit to not get a ton of heel slip on monk-styles

 

I recently bought the Camberley. Unfortunately, I can only compare them to another pair of boots on the 348 (Tetbury) because I do not have any regular shoes on it. I feel that the Camberley is a bit more forgiving in terms of sizing compared to the Tetbury since the upper monk buckle locks you quite well into position in the heel. I seems to me that the instep is a little lower as well.

I have a rather narrow heel and eventhough I have the Tetbury in half size smaller than the Camberley I experience the same amount of (really minimal) heel slip in both pairs.

The 348 is a narrow last to me and my Tetburies can become uncomfy on my pinkies during longer walks, hence the small size increase on the Camberley.
I will report back here once they got some more wear.

post #10688 of 12827
Maiden voyage

post #10689 of 12827
Looking good man, nice deep colour there nod[1].gif
post #10690 of 12827


Rocking my new Peal and Co today, love the fit of this shoe!
post #10691 of 12827
Ordered my first pair of "Crockett and Jones" under their label. Got the Swanseas from pediwear in brown calf.
post #10692 of 12827
Sorry for the sizing question, but I have to order a blucher on the 335 last online without the chance to try one on. I've got a balmoral in the 337 last (Audley) in size 7UK that is spot on for me. I know the 335 has a generous toe box and seems like a roomier last in general. Do people normally size down for the 335 relative to what they wear in a 337? (And going from a balmoral to a Blucher?).

I actually measure 8.5US on a brannock, but I have a low instep/low volume foot, which is why I go all the way down to a 8US or 7UK in a balmoral.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #10693 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliMurtaza View Post

Thank you. I am returning a 358 in size US 9E to a local retailer in DC and I can only get an exchange, not a store refund. 358 in US 9.5E was big and that is why I initially went with with size US 9E when I was in DC for vacations. What about the two other hand grade lasts, 337 and 363? The retailer had few shoes on these lasts. As mentioned earlier, my size on brannock is 10.5B but have mostly worn 9.5D in RTW shoes.

Plus, will a camberly boot on the 348 last run larger than a shoe on the same last? Asking this because boots should be larger than shoes on the same last.

I have both 348/58 and 337 - IME the 337 is slightly narrower around the ball (the 348 kind of flares out), but the 337 toe box is wider. Sounds like this might work for you (and the 337 is a fantastic last).
post #10694 of 12827
My Purdey in-house Islay's landed tonight. Will post some pics, fit info, and impressions tomorrow.

post #10695 of 12827
Quote:
Originally Posted by razl View Post

My Purdey in-house Islay's landed tonight. Will post some pics, fit info, and impressions tomorrow.

Congrats!  Mine too.  I was tempted to wear them on the spot as I picked them up on the way to a meeting and in a downpour.  I stupidly wore a pair of suede bluchers that were soaked.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)