• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most expensive car crash in history

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leenk with photos

A multi-millionaire financier escaped without a scratch after writing off his £1.4million supercar in the most expensive car crash in history.

Steffen Korbach’s Pagani Zonda F Clubsport Roadster disintegrated after he lost control on a wet motorway in Italy and crashed into a barrier.

The Clubsport Roadster - one of only 25 of the 7.3-litre cars ever made - was a mangled wreck with debris strewn over the carriageway. But its super-safe structure protected Mr Korbach and his 21-year-old female passenger, who both emerged with only minor bruising.

Mr Korbach, 28, a German investment banker, crashed on the A10 autostrada as he was on his way to Milan for the official presentation of a new Pagani Huayra - which he recently ordered.

A source said: 'He was driving through roadworks at the speed limit, but when they ended he accelerated up to just over 100kmh (62mph) and hit a pool of surface water which caused the car to aquaplane.

'Even though Steffen is an experienced supercar driver, he couldn't correct the Zonda's position and he collided with the roadside barriers.

'The car doesn't have airbags so he was lucky to escape unharmed - it shows how safe the passengers' cell is in these sorts of cars. Amazingly, he's considering getting the car repaired but this won't come cheap - it's been really badly damaged.'

Mr Korbach said that the lively Zonda F Clubsport Roadster can be difficult to control in certain road conditions. It is rated as one the greatest modern supercars, with Top Gear host Richard Hammond a big fan.

It is also one of the world's most expensive new cars with only the £1.5million Koenigsegg CCXR and £1.6million Bugatti Veyron Super Sport costlier. Neither the Koenigsegg nor Bugatti is believed to have ever been written off in a crash.

Mr Korbach, who also owns the Porsche tuning outfit Gemballa, will not be short of supercars to drive in the meantime.
As well as his new Huayra - Pagani's replacement for the Zonda - he owns two Bugatti Veyrons, two Lamborghinis and a Porsche-based Gemballa Mirage.

He has also ordered the new McLaren MP4-12C - widely anticipated to be Britain's greatest ever supercar.
The Italian Zonda, with its rear-mounted V12 engine, produces 650bhp and is capable of doing 0-62mph in 3.5 seconds.

It has a top speed of 214mph and lapped the Top Gear track quicker than the Bugatti Veyron.

Tommy Wareham, director of dealer Super Vettura, said: 'The Pagani Zonda is quite possibly the last ever true-blooded supercar - it's a ferocious poster car for the 21st century.

'It's incredibly exclusive and bespoke and, as these pictures show, it's as safe as it is fast.'

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad he's ok, but I'm pretty sure I really, really hate that guy.

I thought you were posting the Texan who drove his Veyron into a lake. The owner, incidentally, ordered a replacement Veyron.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Glad he's ok, but I'm pretty sure I really, really hate that guy.

+1. Then again, props given if purchased with his own money which might be the case.

And at least it wasn't driven by some rich old fart who crashed because he's old and old people are ****** drivers.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh - no. Far more expensive cars have crashed.

Still, this sucks.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Thread worthless without pics of 21 year old female passenger.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Kinda surprising she didn't bite the guy's cawk off at impact.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Uh - no. Far more expensive cars have crashed. Still, this sucks.
Hasn't there been at least one 250 GTO crash? I'd presume even a salvageable wreck in that car would be far far more expensive than wrecking any modern car. With the exception of a McLaren F1 LM, I can't think of any car of the last 20 years that would approach anything close to that level. Also, yes need to see 21 year old.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's 28 and driving a $2m+ car? WTF?!?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Investment banker and he owns Gemballa. Not bad

mussel

Reaction score
I assume the car, and most super cars, was insured by Llyods of London.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
I assume the car, and most super cars, was insured by Llyods of London.

I suspect the Geico gekko would have an embolism.
laugh.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Hasn't there been at least one 250 GTO crash? I'd presume even a salvageable wreck in that car would be far far more expensive than wrecking any modern car. With the exception of a McLaren F1 LM, I can't think of any car of the last 20 years that would approach anything close to that level. Also, yes need to see 21 year old.
Yes, here's a 250 GTO I saw a few years ago with a temporary nose.
limerockferrarimaserati.jpg
Vintage racecars are often getting dinged up or occasionally destroyed. In my view, there is a fine line between "enjoying them as they were meant to be driven" and actually ruining historical artifacts. These cars are irreplaceable. It's a tough balancing act. And how much of the original car has to be left after "restorations" for it still to be the same car? What makes a car the car that it purports to be? The chasis only? The body panels too? Original engine? Original gearbox? Once you start going down the path of replacing this and that, it's a difficult existential question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads