or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Would you buy a Chinese car?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Would you buy a Chinese car? - Page 2

post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
Exactly.



+1

Ignoring the jingoism and thinly veiled racism, I don't see how this is any different from buying a Hyundai 20 years ago, or a Toyota in the '50s.

because hyuandai is korean and toyota is japanese! you racist theyre not all the same! BASTARD!
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by West24 View Post
because hyuandai is korean and toyota is japanese! you racist theyre not all the same! BASTARD!

post #18 of 76
If they make a copy of the maserati quattroporte, I would definitely think about it. Then again, the body would probably melt if I parked it in the sun.
post #19 of 76
If these or the similar, then no.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #20 of 76
For those who responded "Never" to the poal, why not? Would you buy a car made anywhere other than your home country, or is your response limited to China?
post #21 of 76
Why are people worried about China building stealth fighters if you guys wouldn't even sit in their cars? Such a huge disconnect.
post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor View Post
Why are people worried about China building stealth fighters if you guys wouldn't even sit in their cars? Such a huge disconnect.

Not really a disconnect, considering that the military pummels millions upon millions for RnD on these stealth fighters, whereas the current chinese manufacturers produce crap products.

The only commonality between the two is that they're both manufactured in China.
post #23 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
Not really a disconnect, considering that the military pummels millions upon millions for RnD on these stealth fighters, whereas the current chinese manufacturers produce crap products.

The only commonality between the two is that they're both manufactured in China.

Sorry, but this is BS. There are plenty of Chinese manufacturers of consumer goods who are producing very high quality goods. There's a lot of ignorance and fear about this issue - with good reason, of course, considering the very high profile cases of antifreeze laced toothpaste, etc, but it's just silly to paint the entire country with the same brush.
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate View Post
Fuck the Chinese. I try as hard as I can (and as much as I can afford) to buy as little as possible from that hell hole.
You and I, I think we could get along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
Sorry, but this is BS. There are plenty of Chinese manufacturers of consumer goods who are producing very high quality goods. There's a lot of ignorance and fear about this issue - with good reason, of course, considering the very high profile cases of antifreeze laced toothpaste, etc, but it's just silly to paint the entire country with the same brush.
With export goods, maybe. I mean, it's more likely to be poisoned with industrial waste than exports from other countries, but you still have a pretty good chance of not stepping on a landmine. Domestic goods, however, are complete garbage of the absolute lowest quality- yet are somehow more expensive than their export goods (not subsidized/recouping losses?).
post #25 of 76
Not directing this at anyone here, but damn is there a lot of racism in the U.S. and West against Asians, especially the Chinese. Most people seem to think that as long as the target of their spiteful, degrading, and generalizing comments isn't black then it's perfectly acceptable. China has a lot of issues with quality, but Western demand for cheap goods has a lot to do with that. Obviously there are plenty of other reasons, like lack of legal protection, corruption and so on, but China by and large is capable of producing whatever it wants to. Of course, like anywhere else in the world many companies in China choose the path of maximum profit. Not all do, and there are some quality products made there, though not necessarily cars. So no, I wouldn't buy a car from China because currently most cars are unsafe death machines built and sold as cheaply as possible. In the future, sure, if standards rise.
post #26 of 76
^ I don't see anything indicating racism against Asians here.
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
^ I don't see anything indicating racism against Asians here.

I THINK THEY CANT DESIGN CARS WELL BECAUSE OF THEIR EYES BEING TOO SLANTED

there you go
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by onix View Post
^ I don't see anything indicating racism against Asians here.

Sorry, that rant was a bit uncalled for wasn't it? I was mainly looking at ClambakeSkate's post, the rest were perfectly civil. While "racist" would be perhaps a bit strong a term for what was said, it's very borderline.

What disturbs me is that anti-Chinese invective like that gets thrown around so commonly and nobody bats an eye. Saying like everything from China is horribly made, Chinese men are all "feminine", China is all evil sweatshops, Chinese people are uncivilized/materialistic/etc. A degree of truth to some things, but for the most part it just promotes racial and national stereotypes and engenders prejudice.

Back on topic, I believe that the Chinese government has been pushing to improve the national automotive industry for quite some time now. Imports are taxed quite heavily, supposedly to improve the market for locally produced automobiles.

However, I suspect that those who can afford nicer cars will still stick to imports, if for no other reason than the prestige. It's going to be a very long time before the people who can afford BMW's will be choosing something Chinese - no matter how well made - over German or Italian cars.

On the other hand, there's a big market for inexpensive cars. It's pretty well known that China has an exploding "middle class" who want cars but can't afford imports even without the tax. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese auto makers focus more on this market in the future, just as they are currently.
post #29 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom View Post
I THINK THEY CANT DESIGN CARS WELL BECAUSE OF THEIR EYES BEING TOO SLANTED

there you go

that is not true! those slit-eyes from honda, toyota and hyundai make good cars.

++++

on a sidenote, you guys should go to bicycle forums and look for those "I'm not buying <insert brand here> eversince they farmed out their carbon frames to asia! usa! usa! usa! usa! usa!"
post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digilypse View Post
Sorry, that rant was a bit uncalled for wasn't it? I was mainly looking at ClambakeSkate's post, the rest were perfectly civil. While "racist" would be perhaps a bit strong a term for what was said, it's very borderline.

What disturbs me is that anti-Chinese invective like that gets thrown around so commonly and nobody bats an eye. Saying like everything from China is horribly made, Chinese men are all "feminine", China is all evil sweatshops, Chinese people are uncivilized/materialistic/etc. A degree of truth to some things, but for the most part it just promotes racial and national stereotypes and engenders prejudice.

Back on topic, I believe that the Chinese government has been pushing to improve the national automotive industry for quite some time now. Imports are taxed quite heavily, supposedly to improve the market for locally produced automobiles.

However, I suspect that those who can afford nicer cars will still stick to imports, if for no other reason than the prestige. It's going to be a very long time before the people who can afford BMW's will be choosing something Chinese - no matter how well made - over German or Italian cars.

On the other hand, there's a big market for inexpensive cars. It's pretty well known that China has an exploding "middle class" who want cars but can't afford imports even without the tax. I wouldn't be surprised to see Chinese auto makers focus more on this market in the future, just as they are currently.

I remember taiwan for decades have tried (and failed) to launch their own cars with constant failure, surprising too given that korea was successful with it.

edit: oops- the taiwanese are still at it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Would you buy a Chinese car?