or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best Dressed Statesman
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Dressed Statesman - Page 4

post #46 of 74
Kofi Annan was very elegant.
post #47 of 74
post #48 of 74
Pierre Eliot Trudeau of Canada. Silk three piece. "Just watch me," indeed.

post #49 of 74
Not sure I'd call this dressing well, but it certainly shows sartorial flair, and he was a leading statesman at the time: Michael Heseltine, 1984.



Edited by Testudo_Aubreii - 2/18/16 at 7:21pm
post #50 of 74

John Kerry has looked sharp every time I've seen him. He loves his variety of blue suits, uses sleeker shoes, and just comes off as a very well-dressed man. 

 

(Though he looks a bit more like a banker than a politician, with those vibrant silk-print ties.)

post #51 of 74
Two Foreign Secretaries:

Kerry, ca. 2015:



Eden, ca. 1938:
post #52 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspace View Post

John Kerry has looked sharp every time I've seen him. He loves his variety of blue suits, uses sleeker shoes, and just comes off as a very well-dressed man. 

(Though he looks a bit more like a banker than a politician, with those vibrant silk-print ties.)
He's purchased suits from Rizzo (closed this winter frown.gif), and this striped number could easily have been one of those.

I have read--- but not verified--- that he does bespoke silks from Vineyard Vines so he can have exclusive patterns or colorways for the summer.
post #53 of 74
Back in an age when leading statesmen dared to dress with some sprezzatura: Reagan, 1986.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 90
post #54 of 74
Reagan? No way. He was too put-together for the camera to have real sprezzatura, unless he was on vacation at the ranch.
post #55 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post

Reagan? No way. He was too put-together for the camera to have real sprezzatura, unless he was on vacation at the ranch.

By sprezzatura here, I just mean breaking the rules of CBD while in office business settings. I'm trying to think what you mean by "put together for the camera" so that there's a conflict between sprezzatura and being put together for the camera. If anybody was sprezzatura, it was Gianni Agnelli: do you think he wasn't put together for the cameras?
post #56 of 74
Yes, he wore brown in town. But it was heavily-padded, cleanly-pressed, and color-coordinated. No real risks or absent-mindedness.
post #57 of 74
And brown with burgundy shoes:


And cream suits:



And strong checks:







And red slacks:



And silk suits:
post #58 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

And brown with burgundy shoes:


And cream suits:



And strong checks:







And red slacks:



And silk suits:

True story, he was wearing a Fresco suit when he was shot and it was the first time he had worn it. Last week I saw a letter from the White House framed in Gladsons office in which he requested they send to his tailor the same cloth again as the original suit was ruined.
post #59 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testudo_Aubreii View Post

Pierre Eliot Trudeau of Canada. Silk three piece. "Just watch me," indeed.




post #60 of 74
More Trudeau: the sexual revolution is on:



And here is a child of that revolution: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau:






Sartorially, the apple fell a long away from the tree.
Edited by Testudo_Aubreii - 2/26/16 at 5:36am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Best Dressed Statesman