or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Single Breasted, Peak Lapel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Single Breasted, Peak Lapel

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
I'm thinking of getting a single breasted suit with a peak lapel. It will probably be something in a deep navy or charcoal (i.e., something dark). Anyone know who makes something like this that will be fully canvassed, quality construction, etc.?
post #2 of 38
post #3 of 38
rlpl
post #4 of 38
Kilgour rtw at Barneys (around 2k retail). RLPL probably has a few models in this style, as well.

This may sound heretical, but if you don't plan on wearing such a suit to the office (and at most law firms it's not an appropriate look for any lawyer, much less a junior associate), and will be wearing it mainly for social events on the weekend, it may make sense to sacrifice construction quality and keep some of your dollars free for other purchases.

Now get back to billing.
post #5 of 38
I expect these to be very widely available, given their recent popularity. So all the usual suspects - a bunch of Italian brands in addition to RLPL and Oxxford.
post #6 of 38
Thread Starter 
Are there more styles of the rlpl suits in the stores then there are on the website? The website only has 3 suits, none of which are all that appealing to me (though, I like the way they've done the sb suit with peak lapel).

The other thing, I should probably mention, is my budget. I was planning on keeping this somewhere south of $2k, so, as nice as oxxford and rlpl are, they may be out of my budget for now.
post #7 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Kilgour rtw at Barneys (around 2k retail). RLPL probably has a few models in this style, as well.

This may sound heretical, but if you don't plan on wearing such a suit to the office (and at most law firms it's not an appropriate look for any lawyer, much less a junior associate), and will be wearing it mainly for social events on the weekend, it may make sense to sacrifice construction quality and keep some of your dollars free for other purchases.

Now get back to billing.

Haha, yeah, I plan on wearing it for social occasions. I try to stick to more or less classic looks for work. That's kind of why I want to get this, so that I can seperate my work and "play" clothes - when I go out, I don't want to look like a lawyer that just got off of work (though, the tired and expressionless look on my face might give it away).
post #8 of 38
Just out of curiosity-
Why would peak lapels be considered not professional/traditional. Haven't peak lapels been around for ever? So long as they're not over-the-top (literally and figuratively), why not?
post #9 of 38
I have both a Corneliani and a Canali with this configuration. I like the Corneliani better fwiw.
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Just out of curiosity-
Why would peak lapels be considered not professional/traditional. Haven't peak lapels been around for ever? So long as they're not over-the-top (literally and figuratively), why not?

If they were on a DB and you are of a certain age and one of the more powerful partners, then yeah. Otherwise it might attract unwanted attention. (Confining this to law firms and investment banks.)
post #11 of 38
Also, have you thought about going "entry-level" bespoke (Chan, Ned, etc.)? Or are you trying to find RTW on sale and then get it altered...I'm assuming you can afford to be patient.
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Also, have you thought about going "entry-level" bespoke (Chan, Ned, etc.)? Or are you trying to find RTW on sale and then get it altered...I'm assuming you can afford to be patient.

Well, considering the fact that I work 60+ hours a week, I don't really go out that often, so I can afford to be pretty patient. I'm a pretty good fit RTW for suits so that's why I haven't really thought of going MTM or entry-level bespoke. I can't even fit in a trip to Saks to pick out a pair of Barker Blacks, never mind sitting for a fitting with Ned or Chan.

Baron, I really like the way Corneliani's fit me, any idea where I can check out a peak lapel SB Corneliani?
post #13 of 38
I am also thinking of getting a navy blue single breasted suit with peak lapels as something more dressy that I can wear for going out plus the office. While it is true that not many lawyers wear them, I had a mediation last winter where the mediator wore a sb pinstripe peak lapel suit. I still rue not asking him where he got his after we settled. I will have mine made for me.
post #14 of 38
If you can fit into something along the lines of a 40l, there's a pretty nice looking RL Polo mtm chalk stripe sb peak lapel up on ebay right now. Looks like it could turn out to be a bargain too.
My favorite sb peak lapel suit is an old Alan Flusser bespoke I found a few years back--muted glen plaid in a lightweight cloth. More versatile than you might expect.
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
If they were on a DB and you are of a certain age and one of the more powerful partners, then yeah. Otherwise it might attract unwanted attention. (Confining this to law firms and investment banks.)

This sounds awfully submissive. Since when does a man who sweats blood to earn his keep -- as most young associates do -- need to bow his head until he reaches "a certain age" simply to wear the clothes of his choice??? If you work in an environment where those who (obviously) lord over you reserve the right to censor what you wear with a simple look, or break you down because you've chosen to wear a beautiful suit, then you need to evaluate whether you're in the right place -- or be castrated.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Single Breasted, Peak Lapel