• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inside Ralph Lauren's garage

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vanity Fair has a photo essay up on their site about the contents of Mr Lauren's garage: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/feat...201101#slide=1
drool.gif
The photographs are very nice, and there are some stunning, absolutely stunning cars there. I know that it is iconic, but the Ford Woody looks a bit awkward amongst the (mainly Italian) automotive exotica, including some stunningly rare Alfa and Bugatti automobiles. Edit: I just noticed that there is an accompanying article, too: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/feat...-garage-201101

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
he has a Reventon roadster?
worship.gif
Are they any articles out there with Eric Clapton's cars? I know he has a few goodies as well, maybe not a collection like RL's, but there's a Lusso and an Enzo in there along with plenty of others.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some say over-restored. I think they're great. Awesome collection.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. There was also a short documentary or TV show a while back that showed off many in the RL collection. I will try and track it down.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
nice ish!

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Nice cars! As an aside, some of the comments on that page referring to the decline in quality of Mr. Lauren's various labels are rather funny.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
He does have quite the car collection, and that article only covers a very small portion of it. I know he has quite the collection of concept cars as well. Heres one I can confirm, the last mercury cougar concept car which he picked up at auction a decade ago for 775k.... I cant find good photos of it but the interior is really killer in it. Its note worthy because it was J.C. Mayes (guy who did the beatle and audi tt) first car for ford and the debut of the new edge style which was reflected across the whole brand and finally killed off the jelly-bean look of the previous decade. Thought you guys would like a bit of back story on one of his cars as he is a fashion designer and there is a reason he picks up certain cars. http://www.drivingenthusiast.net/sec...c4/default.htm

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God damn, what a collection. I hope he actually drives them all.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Is that MurciÃ
00a9.png
lago painted matte black?!? If so, that is probably the raddest modern car I've ever seen.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClambakeSkate
Is that MurciÃ
00a9.png
lago painted matte black?!? If so, that is probably the raddest modern car I've ever seen.

I think it is carbon fiber. If not, there is a Murcielago in matte carbon fiber out there in the world - I just have to find the pics of it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Some say over-restored.

Same can be said of the clothes he sells.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
he has a Reventon roadster?
worship.gif

Beans compared to the '58 Testa Rossa.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Some say over-restored. I think they're great. Awesome collection.

I say over-restored. They look like they did on the showroom floor. Actually, they probably look better than they did on the showroom floor.

Cars, especially those that have a racing pedigree, should have the patina of age and use on them. They don't have to be dirty or beaten up, but they shouldn't look brand new, either.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The documentary was when he sent some cars to the Boston museum of art. It's amazing. Hopefully someone can find an online copy of it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
The documentary was when he sent some cars to the Boston museum of art. It's amazing. Hopefully someone can find an online copy of it.

I saw that exhibit--and have the coffee table book to show for it. Better than the best Appreciation.

I don't know if I would "restore" cars like this the way he did, but I respect his choice to do so. He is treating them as playthings to enjoy, not just museum pieces, which arguably better preserves their spirit. If I recall, he swapped in less historically accurate headlights on one of his most collectible Alfas because he thought they were more aesthetically pleasing. Back in the day when these cars were coachbuilt, that's exactly the sort of change an original buyer might have ordered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads