or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should I respond to this eBay seller?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I respond to this eBay seller? - Page 4

post #46 of 67
To eliminate all equivocation, disclose that the stains in question are urine derived and let the consumer decide from there. If there is nothing to hide, then this should not be a problem.
post #47 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Hard to tell who started the ballbreaking but I am leaning 68% toward you. You should have ignored the listing rather than respond with a provocative question. In fact, make that 79%. Time to shut this one down as you are just going to get abuse on this site. Many questions just lead to sarcastic replies intended to insult the poster rather than provide helpful answers and you have walked right into this crossfire, my man.

Oh come on! The seller should have never called Achilles a jackass, he merely sent an email making a remark (very natural, seeing peed pants being sold as excellent) and the seller clearly was waiting for our guy in the corner.
post #48 of 67
This thread started off as funny on several levels - a guy selling piss-stained pants; finding a buyer for them; the OP writing him out of the blue; the exchange and the OP being called a jackass; and then the final reveal that there may be an untapped market for piss-stained pants! But it's become deathly serious.
post #49 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebblegrain View Post
so Achilles, what is your response?

Seller seems like a nice enough guy and I wish him the best

That being said, we disagree on what the term excellent means. I would rate the pants as unwearable myself and would probably not buy from him since there seems to be such a discrepancy between our views on what condition clothing is in.

Everyone should know I never had the intention of reporting the seller or even causing trouble. I merely was asking if I should respond because it seemed extremely unprofessional and vulgar to come after me after the auction ended. I think what set me off was the cursing.
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post
Seller seems like a nice enough guy and I wish him the best

That being said, we disagree on what the term excellent means. I would rate the pants as unwearable myself and would probably not buy from him since there seems to be such a discrepancy between our views on what condition clothing is in.

Everyone should know I never had the intention of reporting the seller or even causing trouble. I merely was asking if I should respond because it seemed extremely unprofessional and vulgar to come after me after the auction ended. I think what set me off was the cursing.

Word.
post #51 of 67
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post
Everyone should know I never had the intention of reporting the seller or even causing trouble. I merely was asking if I should respond because it seemed extremely unprofessional and vulgar to come after me after the auction ended. I think what set me off was the cursing.

Can you honestly expect professionalism from a guy sitting on a stockpile of urine-soaking pants?
post #53 of 67
Edit: I see the seller is here.
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_horton View Post
Can you honestly expect professionalism from a guy sitting on a stockpile of urine-soaking pants?

post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryx2 View Post
Oh come on! The seller should have never called Achilles a jackass, he merely sent an email making a remark (very natural, seeing peed pants being sold as excellent) and the seller clearly was waiting for our guy in the corner.

Actually, I missed the "jackass" part and upon further reflection it does seem like the seller was waiting to pounce. I stand corrected and withdraw my observation. I don't think anybody should be selling piss-stained pants in the first place, much less joking about it. And the seller didn't have to add the extra "shot." Touche!
post #56 of 67
I have absolutely no horse in this particular race. However, I do understand what the seller is saying about using terms such as "excellent", "mint", "very good". They mean all things to all people.

Whilst, I do not believe that there is an easy answer to this, I would like eBay to have proper guidelines to descriptions and one of the most "universal" methods (IMO) would be to have a scoring system, out of 10. With 1 being very poor, through to 10 being "new".

I repeat, this will not necessarily stop Sellers from abusing the system. However, it would provide buyers with some sort of quantifiable way of understanding the condition of clothing.

After all, if someone described a pair of trousers as an 8/10 (let's say "excellent" would be the descriptive word for this score), and the buyer got something what could be identified as a 6/10 (let say "good"), then it would be easier to "prove" the descrepancy.

I've purchased several items which have been described as "excellent", or worst still "mint", only for them to have obvious flaws (such as moth holes or tears).

I've also purchased items described as very good which have been like new.

eBay is a very difficult place.

I've been looking a mobile phones on eBay recently and would you believe eBay has a "New" category as well as a "New (other)" category. What is that about?

The amount of listings that use the latter to describe phones that they've been using for weeks or months is amazing and worrying.

So, I think more effort could be put in by eBay with enforceable "rules" for describing items.

Just my tuppence.

Clint
post #57 of 67
"mint" is a fair amount more strict than "excellent". Mint is a term commonly reserved for grading quality and it means "without any flaws, as it left the factory ( aka the mint)".

excellent is a colloquial term as well as a grading term and it means almost nothing at all
post #58 of 67
Well at least he didn't say it was clean
post #59 of 67
This thread is so funny. Just one question for the record: if pants stained with pee are in excellent condition, what would you call the same pants never peed in? Perhaps PEErless condition? Or is that peeless condition?
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89826 View Post
This thread is so funny. Just one question for the record: if pants stained with pee are in excellent condition, what would you call the same pants never peed in? Perhaps PEErless condition? Or is that peeless condition?

PEErfect condition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Should I respond to this eBay seller?