or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Ferrari Controls the Media
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ferrari Controls the Media - Page 2

post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazy View Post
Do people really buy Ferraris because of their performance?

if you wanna go fast for less, buy a porsche. If you wanna go fast and enjoy the sights and sounds, buy a ferrari. that's how i see it, and I'm a long-time p-car guy. flat 6s sound neat, italian v8s, or better yet v12s, are like an angel's song.

if i had the 500k for a GTO I'd buy it over a GT2RS in a heartbeat. even at 2x the price. it just sounds insane. so i guess i'd say...no.
post #17 of 27
Eh... I am not so forgiving. I won't buy a Porsche after the IMS debacle. Ferrari's are apparently poseur cars that game the reviews because they can't win otherwise. Hell, what's left? Maybe an Audi R8.
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
Eh... I am not so forgiving. I won't buy a Porsche after the IMS debacle. Ferrari's are apparently poseur cars that game the reviews because they can't win otherwise. Hell, what's left? Maybe an Audi R8.

You sound like me about Ferrari for about 30 years. I could never stand the fact that they charged so much for the cars and couldn't be bothered to make them sensible to maintain or run reliably, and it really killed me that everyone just shrugged their shoulders and said "Eh, it's a Ferrari." The cars from the 360 forward are much better for maintenance and reliability while still being true Ferraris, and now everyone's bitching about the old days.

That said, the M96 engine issues did sour me on Porsche a bit as well. I like the R8, but my top pick would be a V8 Vantage.
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by epb View Post
You sound like me about Ferrari for about 30 years. I could never stand the fact that they charged so much for the cars and couldn't be bothered to make them sensible to maintain or run reliably, and it really killed me that everyone just shrugged their shoulders and said "Eh, it's a Ferrari." The cars from the 360 forward are much better for maintenance and reliability while still being true Ferraris, and now everyone's bitching about the old days.

That said, the M96 engine issues did sour me on Porsche a bit as well. I like the R8, but my top pick would be a V8 Vantage.

I don't like the sameness in AM styling. Yes, it is a good looking design, but over-iterating it has gotten tiresome. There are no bad cars in the class really. I've never driven a Lambo either, so not sure how that fits in. I wouldn't get a GTR because I get the feel this gen is a lot more highly strung than previous ones and may not have as much in reserve. The 'Vette is amazing, the image, not so much.

Anyway, not in the market now anyway for anything at that level - gotta get some income stream working before that Plus a motorcycle is more fun for zipping around anyway.
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post
I don't like the sameness in AM styling. Yes, it is a good looking design, but over-iterating it has gotten tiresome. There are no bad cars in the class really. I've never driven a Lambo either, so not sure how that fits in. I wouldn't get a GTR because I get the feel this gen is a lot more highly strung than previous ones and may not have as much in reserve. The 'Vette is amazing, the image, not so much.

Anyway, not in the market now anyway for anything at that level - gotta get some income stream working before that Plus a motorcycle is more fun for zipping around anyway.

You really just have to drive all these cars for yourself and see what you like. You would be surprised which one turns out to be your favorite.

The most fun car I have driven is the Saleen S7. Holyshit it defies the laws of physics. Not a Blvd cruiser though.
post #21 of 27
Eh, this is old news. Ringer press cars are nothing new. John DeLorean invented it.

Ferrari could care less. There are people on waiting lists to buy every new one they build. There are people with the means, who can't get on the right lists to buy the cars they want.

I would love a new 458. However, I would buy the quicker 911 Turbo S, or get a GT3RS and a couple other toys before I bought the Ferrari.

Mike
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman808 View Post
You really just have to drive all these cars for yourself and see what you like. You would be surprised which one turns out to be your favorite.

The most fun car I have driven is the Saleen S7. Holyshit it defies the laws of physics. Not a Blvd cruiser though.

I've driven a fair number of exotics - but I'd honestly say a Lotus Elise or Miata is more fun to drive on a daily basis - "driving a slow car fast" and all that. Of course an Elise is also a torture rack on a daily commute. I've never driven the Saleen - but it looks like a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Eh, this is old news. Ringer press cars are nothing new. John DeLorean invented it.

Ferrari could care less. There are people on waiting lists to buy every new one they build. There are people with the means, who can't get on the right lists to buy the cars they want.

I would love a new 458. However, I would buy the quicker 911 Turbo S, or get a GT3RS and a couple other toys before I bought the Ferrari.

Mike

They might have a waiting list - but a reputation can be tarnished by these things. There is a long, long list of car makers that have fallen from great heights - mostly because of hubris and taking their customers for granted. Racing heritage be damned - what have you done for me lately?
post #23 of 27
Definitely thought this author had some serious stones to write this and am definitely glad he did. I've always wanted a Ferrari and that has been my 'If I win the lottery' car.... now thinking that decision needs to be looked into more. Porsche 997???
post #24 of 27
I am certainly not a car expert by any means and anything I say could be way off base and so please correct me if needed - but I wonder how much of this is due to pressure from Lamborghini? Here Ferrari releases the Scuderia and champions its aerodynamics, its precision engineering, and its speed which matches the Enzo on their test track ... and then Lambo comes in with a 560 that is faster, has much more equipment inside (ie. not bare bones only like the Scuderia), is cheaper (I think), and that you don't need to be a multi-car legacy Lamborghini owner to purchase without waiting for years.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
I am certainly not a car expert by any means and anything I say could be way off base and so please correct me if needed - but I wonder how much of this is due to pressure from Lamborghini? Here Ferrari releases the Scuderia and champions its aerodynamics, its precision engineering, and its speed which matches the Enzo on their test track ... and then Lambo comes in with a 560 that is faster, has much more equipment inside (ie. not bare bones only like the Scuderia), is cheaper (I think), and that you don't need to be a multi-car legacy Lamborghini owner to purchase without waiting for years.
My guess - not much. They just don't care about customer service very much. They've never really cared about customers, and they've always cut corners and done shady stuff. It's in their DNA. Look at all the crazy stuff they did in the 1960s to get their race cars homologated. They constantly claimed that completely different cars were part of the same model range so that there would be an acceptable number built in accordance with FIA regulations. For the most part, it worked.
post #26 of 27
Yeah, this has been going on for a long time. At the very least I remember reading in the mid 90s that ferrari wouldn't let owners lend F50s to magazines for tests as they feared it wouldn't match the performance of the F40.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83 View Post
My guess - not much. They just don't care about customer service very much. They've never really cared about customers, and they've always cut corners and done shady stuff. It's in their DNA. Look at all the crazy stuff they did in the 1960s to get their race cars homologated. They constantly claimed that completely different cars were part of the same model range so that there would be an acceptable number built in accordance with FIA regulations. For the most part, it worked.

Sounds awesome.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Ferrari Controls the Media