or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Berluti or John Lobb? Pewter patina or Fumo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Berluti or John Lobb? Pewter patina or Fumo? - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Blake construction can still be a quality shoe as both Santoni and Berluti show. My Berlutis have held up well and I don't get any creasing of a noticeable nature. I have four pairs of Berluti worn since 1999 and I have not seen any unusual creasing or had any quality problems at all. In fact the Norwegian stitched wholecuts I have are very durable in rain and snow.

Berluti is almost like an artistic shoe with tasteful to very wild design and very unique patinas. I think it is a nice shoe for casual wear at events where you want to be different than the crowd.

I have seen several of their bespoke pairs and they are as good as anything out there.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Berluti is almost like an artistic shoe with tasteful to very wild design and very unique patinas. I think it is a nice shoe for casual wear at events where you want to be different than the crowd.
I agree
post #18 of 35
Stefano Bi is also part of the LVMH group. They make from crap to very, very good under their own name.
post #19 of 35
I had a pair of Berlutis (Olga III) on my feet for perhaps five minutes, standing on carpet in my office and then sitting at my desk. The leather creased in two places on one shoe in this short period of time. Unbelievably fragile leather, it seems to me. On the other hand, the patina was simply to die for. The Japanese woman at the Madison Ave store who does the coloring is a genius. It was a dark black, but with green and brown tones. Stunning.
post #20 of 35
There is little more heart-wrenching than paying a lot for something and finding out later it's crap. But this is pretty common across trades.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnapril
There is little more heart-wrenching than paying a lot for something and finding out later it's crap. But this is pretty common across trades.
jaguar
post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 
Thank you for your comments...
I like Berluti for the patina but as rightly said above, the quality of the leather and the Blakegate is starting to annoy me...
Once again, the power of the brand has played on my mind!!!!
I also enjoy the more direct and somewhat friendlier approach of the Jermyn Street John Lobb team.
You can have a chat with them and asking for advice without having a servile and snobish sales assistant telling you how lucky you're to buy their shoes!!!!
I was torn between JL et Berluti but to be fair , my heart was already on a pair of Beckett in pewter museum...
The manager is also offering me a pair of 2004 in pewter (not pewter museum)....
She told me that the patina is quite different,the Pewter being more greyish than the Pewter museum....
post #23 of 35
Quote:
You can have a chat with them and asking for advice without having a servile and snobish sales assistant telling you how lucky you're to buy their shoes

??? I have never encountered that with Berluti. The folks in the London and Milan stores are as genuine and nice as can be.
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I mix it up with Saphir's gray, black and dark brown.

sorry! wax or cream? or both
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk-cha
sorry! wax or cream? or both


My bad. I use both wax and cream though mostly wax.
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Blake construction can still be a quality shoe as both Santoni and Berluti show

I knew their were more reasons to avoid both of these labels like the plague
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbar
Once again, the power of the brand has played on my mind!!!!
I also enjoy the more direct and somewhat friendlier approach of the Jermyn Street John Lobb team.
You can have a chat with them and asking for advice without having a servile and snobish sales assistant telling you how lucky you're to buy their shoes!!!!
I was torn between JL et Berluti but to be fair , my heart was already on a pair of Beckett in pewter museum...
The manager is also offering me a pair of 2004 in pewter (not pewter museum)....
She told me that the patina is quite different,the Pewter being more greyish than the Pewter museum....

Hurray, quality wins over the power of advertising and superficially polished brand image!!!!
post #28 of 35
Well I guess Sator does not own any bespoke Berluti shoes then.

post #29 of 35
i have never had any issue with blake constucted shoes i think it is down to what you wear them for! i guess i should play soccer any more in them just in case"
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Well I guess Sator does not own any bespoke Berluti shoes then.



Are we comparing John Lobb RTW with Berluti bespoke now? I thought we were comparing like with like. Given the choice I would go to the London JL store and order JL bespoke any day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Berluti or John Lobb? Pewter patina or Fumo?