or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Questions about Peak Lapels, and usage
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Questions about Peak Lapels, and usage

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey all,
I am looking for a Tuxedo/Suit that I could wear for prom but still use as an acceptable suit for church, or other events. The Tuxedo that Daniel Craig wears in the next James Bond movie really speaks to me. It seems to be double vented, rounded bottom, One Button, speak lapels (no satin facing) and flat front trousers. It is a VERY shiny suit....so what makes it that way? I am really fond of that style... Here is what I am looking for in a Tux

Shiny black single breasted
Peak Lapel
Two button
Vest
Double vent
No pleat pants

If I wear the right white shirt, and bowtie, it would make a very nice prom outfit. If I wear a normal dress shirt/tie, and put a belt on, it would make a semi-old fashioned look, am I right? Basically I just need to know if this is a kosher thing, and if so, how do i go about getting it custom made? Baron Boutique is one place I can think of, Also My Custom Clothes does suits as well. Which one is better, and for less?

Thanks,
Hunter
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsandfriends
Basically I just need to know if this is a kosher thing,
Sorry, but it's not. A tuxedo of any stripe has contrasting (i.e., either satin or grosgrain) facings on the lapels, making it unusable as a suit. If you really need to make things stretch, black suits are becoming more accepted at certain formal events. But bear in mind that that's one of those compromises that leaves nobody happy- it'll be a boring suit and an inauthentic, so to speak, tux.
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
So I should go Full on Tux, like in the picture...or nothing at all? Sounds like a good choice haha. I think I'll have that tux custom made like in the picture and get a good pinstripe suit with a vest for other occasions! Thanks!
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
But bear in mind that that's one of those compromises that leaves nobody happy- it'll be a boring suit and an inauthentic, so to speak, tux.

These people, by and large, all seem hang out on this forum, by the way. Everybody at your event will not know the difference.

Still, I recommend a classic tux for the prom, if only to avoid looking at bad pictures of yourself in the future. You wouldn't want to be the guy who prom pictures are of the baby blue tux with ruffle shirts.
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
These people, by and large, all seem hang out on this forum, by the way. Everybody at your event will not know the difference.

Still, I recommend a classic tux for the prom, if only to avoid looking at bad pictures of yourself in the future. You wouldn't want to be the guy who prom pictures are of the baby blue tux with ruffle shirts.

While this is, by and large, true, there are some other factors. I wore Black Tie for the first time in my life not long ago, and it is pleasant to not only look good, but to know darned well that nobody can mock you without looking like a fool.

Regards,
Huntsman
post #6 of 7
I wore peaked lapels for the first time last night, to a wedding, and I swear I had a better time than I would have had in a black suit. I think it was from know that I really did it up right, that I was partying in proper form.

I grant that I might not have known any better if I didn't read SF, but I do read and did know, and I felt like twenty dollars (that's a good thing).

There is no way to make a tuxedo a suit. You can probably get one off the rack for far less than having one made--I think that if you're going to toss down money on bespoke or MTM, it doesn't make much sense to do it on a suit that you wear three times a year after dark. It's tough to find cool tuxedos off the rack, but they are out there. I'm waiting on a Tyrwhitt tuxedo--little pricey for Thrywitt's known quality issues, but the specs are all in order (peaked, SB, no vents, etc.). I'll let everyone know how it works out when I get it.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsandfriends
Hey all, I am looking for a Tuxedo/Suit that I could wear for prom but still use as an acceptable suit for church, or other events. The Tuxedo that Daniel Craig wears in the next James Bond movie really speaks to me. It seems to be double vented, rounded bottom, One Button, speak lapels (no satin facing) and flat front trousers. It is a VERY shiny suit....so what makes it that way? I am really fond of that style... Here is what I am looking for in a Tux Shiny black single breasted Peak Lapel Two button Vest Double vent No pleat pants If I wear the right white shirt, and bowtie, it would make a very nice prom outfit. If I wear a normal dress shirt/tie, and put a belt on, it would make a semi-old fashioned look, am I right? Basically I just need to know if this is a kosher thing, and if so, how do i go about getting it custom made? Baron Boutique is one place I can think of, Also My Custom Clothes does suits as well. Which one is better, and for less? Thanks, Hunter
This is like someone asking in a womenswear forum if it is possible for a woman to find a traditional white wedding dress that she could also wear regularly to 'church or other events'. The answer is she either gets an ordinary white fashion dress or a white wedding dress - and never the twain shall meet. Trousers for a dinner jacket should have a stripe down the side and should be made without belt loops. To be called a dinner jacket it should have satin or grosgrain faced lapels (except if it is white). Suit fabrics for evening wear often contain a bit of silk which give it a bit of shine. You would look out of place attending a church service in this, unless it were a wedding after five. If one of the 'other events' were a funeral it would as respectful as letting off party streamers and popping open a champagne bottle during the service. If you must get a black conventional lounge suit (no silk facings, no stripe down trouser sides, matt finish to the fabric, and with belt loops) it will however serve you well for funerals. If you are a funeral director you will get much mileage out of it. Mormons also go knocking house to house in them and accessorise it with a well polished bicycle. May I please suggest you read old posts on the subject first before firing the opening shots of the black suit war again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Questions about Peak Lapels, and usage