or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Why do all the guys on here dress like its the 70's?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why do all the guys on here dress like its the 70's? - Page 2

post #16 of 49
In order for this joint right here to sound gritty, We did pre-production in an underground city, Wearing post apocalyptic underground gear, 'Cause we haven't seen natural sunlight in twelve years, I got a sound astronauts can't wait to hear, So I speak loud enough to reach Space Station Mir.
post #17 of 49
I try to dress like I belong working at a gaijin host bar in Roppongi, hahaha. I live in a shitty city (the second biggest in Washington) where like above they said the fashion is AE, Abercrombie, etc. SO I get plenty of questions about my clothes and plenty of people think I am gay or something, quite the contrary. I just dress so far ahead of the styles in Spokompton and if I end up looking like some kind of Male Prostitute so be it... At least I am well dressed (haha)
post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I try to dress like I belong working at a gaijin host bar in Roppongi, hahaha.
I live in a shitty city (the second biggest in Washington) where like above they said the fashion is AE, Abercrombie, etc. SO I get plenty of questions about my clothes and plenty of people think I am gay or something, quite the contrary. I just dress so far ahead of the styles in Spokompton and if I end up looking like some kind of Male Prostitute so be it... At least I am well dressed (haha)

I dress down when I visit Spokane, so as not to alarm the natives...



Maybe you should move. Or are you going to Gonzaga or something?
post #19 of 49
heh, I am trying to move. I have to stay here for another 1.5 years though because I am in school. I actually already graduated from College with an AAS Degree in Automotive Technology with Toyota (Toyota school, real degree involving nonauto classes too), but decided I needed to make more money and needed to be less stressed. Actually when I got back from Japan I was hating life (wait did I say was... am). Luckilly Ill be in Tokyo for three months this summer to go to school and hang out with my girl. Some people bitch and moan about big cities (people around here even complain about Seattle being too big for them!) but I have no problem with it. I actually prefer the big cities to Spokane (only advantage here is it is semi cheap and I can dress in a pair of ill fitting jeans and a T shirt and no one will notice. Actually my girlfriend, Yumi, and I often get commented on the way we dress when we would go hang out with friends and just go out. Everyone would always say "so are you guys going out somewhere fancy tonight?" and we would be dressing what I would consider normal for the two of us.)
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Hazel is a girl.

Concur

Hazel - Would be interesting to see what your uncle wears :P

--djway
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I dress down when I visit Spokane, so as not to alarm the natives...

Jeremy spokane... claaa-aaaa-aaaas todaaaaaaaay.
post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom
heh, I am trying to move. I have to stay here for another 1.5 years though because I am in school. I actually already graduated from College with an AAS Degree in Automotive Technology with Toyota (Toyota school, real degree involving nonauto classes too), but decided I needed to make more money and needed to be less stressed.
Actually when I got back from Japan I was hating life (wait did I say was... am). Luckilly Ill be in Tokyo for three months this summer to go to school and hang out with my girl. Some people bitch and moan about big cities (people around here even complain about Seattle being too big for them!) but I have no problem with it. I actually prefer the big cities to Spokane (only advantage here is it is semi cheap and I can dress in a pair of ill fitting jeans and a T shirt and no one will notice. Actually my girlfriend, Yumi, and I often get commented on the way we dress when we would go hang out with friends and just go out. Everyone would always say "so are you guys going out somewhere fancy tonight?" and we would be dressing what I would consider normal for the two of us.)

I much prefer Osaka.

Are Americans really that conservative considering fashion? Of course I've heard some stories about it, but I always thought they were a bit exaggerated. Please enlighten me.

Over here in Europe u can pretty much dress how u want, but you don't get any recognition or street credits if you're not wearing the right brands.
It's pretty much all about brands like Diesel, G-star and such. I don't think anyone has ever even heard of a brand like APC here, not to mention the Japanese brands.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboycom
I try to dress like I belong working at a gaijin host bar in Roppongi, hahaha.
I live in a shitty city (the second biggest in Washington) where like above they said the fashion is AE, Abercrombie, etc. SO I get plenty of questions about my clothes and plenty of people think I am gay or something, quite the contrary. I just dress so far ahead of the styles in Spokompton and if I end up looking like some kind of Male Prostitute so be it... At least I am well dressed (haha)
Hah, I'm holding down Ellensburg for y'all...

But at least here, everyone dresses like an extra for the OC or Laguna Beach with a dash of Kevin Federline. I'm often confused for a gay person as well, So be it.
post #24 of 49
Dress like it's the 70s? The kids of today should defend themselves against the 70s!
post #25 of 49
Wow, two Eddie Vedder references on one page... next thing you know we'll be wearing flannel shirts and tees over long sleeves... right?
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Wow, two Eddie Vedder references on one page... next thing you know we'll be wearing flannel shirts and tees over long sleeves... right?
Has anybody seen a cashmere flannel shirt? Would one still be grunge if he wore said shirt?
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken
Jeremy spokane... claaa-aaaa-aaaas todaaaaaaaay.

That's hillarious...as soon as I read Tokyo's post Jeremy started playing in my head as well.
post #28 of 49
I dress like people in the 70s thought people in the 50s dressed.
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjapie
I much prefer Osaka.

Are Americans really that conservative considering fashion? Of course I've heard some stories about it, but I always thought they were a bit exaggerated. Please enlighten me.

Over here in Europe u can pretty much dress how u want, but you don't get any recognition or street credits if you're not wearing the right brands.
It's pretty much all about brands like Diesel, G-star and such. I don't think anyone has ever even heard of a brand like APC here, not to mention the Japanese brands.

I think that you are confounding two populations. The cottage industry, niche brands, the appeal of being ahead of the curve, is always appealing to the early adaptors, in Japan, in North America, and in Europe. The difference is that in North America, the general population doesn't care about fashion at all, and while in Europe, it is much more acceptable, and even expected, to do so. So, the "fashionably" dressed people in Europe who are given "street cred" would be the same people in NA who are considered fashionable if they are wearing Seven or True Religion jeans.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I think that you are confounding two populations. The cottage industry, niche brands, the appeal of being ahead of the curve, is always appealing to the early adaptors, in Japan, in North America, and in Europe. The difference is that in North America, the general population doesn't care about fashion at all, and while in Europe, it is much more acceptable, and even expected, to do so. So, the "fashionably" dressed people in Europe who are given "street cred" would be the same people in NA who are considered fashionable if they are wearing Seven or True Religion jeans.

So where's that leave us?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Why do all the guys on here dress like its the 70's?