or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Most UNDERRATED movie/actor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most UNDERRATED movie/actor - Page 5

post #61 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQgeek
You're quoting the wrong person :P
Don't try to cloud the issue with facts!
post #62 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist
That's where you're missing the point. Whenever people start talking about film there's the inevitable discussion about who is the best Bond. It's not as if James Bond is the pinnacle of cinema (as if I know what that is), I just detest the sheep mentality when it comes to this genre of discussion.
To paraphrase "The Great Communicator": there you go again.
The fact that I disagree doesn't mean I missed the point. Why do you have to assume that people who disagree with your subscribe to a "sheep mentality" (or are missing the point)? If you ask what the greatest baseball lineup of the 20th century was, you'll get a lot of votes for the 1927 Yankees and not so many for the 1972 Phillies. That's not necessarily evidence of a sheep mentality - just of a certain degree of consensus.
post #63 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
To paraphrase "The Great Communicator": there you go again.
The fact that I disagree doesn't mean I missed the point. Why do you have to assume that people who disagree with your subscribe to a "sheep mentality" (or are missing the point)? If you ask what the greatest baseball lineup of the 20th century was, you'll get a lot of votes for the 1927 Yankees and not so many for the 1972 Phillies. That's not necessarily evidence of a sheep mentality - just of a certain degree of consensus.

I think if you say something that's very popular and don't justify it, not only is the conversation not interesting, but it's basically just a bunch of people agreeing on something which is never really fleshed out, because no one wants to be the odd one out. I didn't call anyone here stupid, I said that as far as I can see, this discussion is similar to literally every other one about James Bond in which everyone extolls Connery, but the reason for that is very mysterious.

So again, I think you missed my point. I am not using the word sheep to insult, rather as a way to qualify my statement, the premise of which is that there's this big enigma surrounding Connery but everyone seems to give into it.
post #64 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist
I think if you say something that's very popular and don't justify it, not only is the conversation not interesting, but it's basically just a bunch of people agreeing on something which is never really fleshed out, because no one wants to be the odd one out. I didn't call anyone here stupid, I said that as far as I can see, this discussion is similar to literally every other one about James Bond in which everyone extolls Connery, but the reason for that is very mysterious.

So again, I think you missed my point. I am not using the word sheep to insult, rather as a way to qualify my statement, the premise of which is that there's this big enigma surrounding Connery but everyone seems to give into it.
I never said the conversation was all that interesting, but I didn't really understand the question to call for in-depth essays - it struck me more as poll-type thing. Nor is it surprising to me that the responses are similar to those in other fora - it just suggests that whatever degree of consensus exists is not endemic to SF. I strongly prefer vanilla ice cream to other flavors. So do lots of other people. That doesn't make my preference any less sincere, or any less "legitimate". If somebody prefers shit-flavored ice cream that's their perogative, but it doesn't mean that I subscribe to a "sheep mentality" of which they are admirably free.
Look, I'm not interested in starting a big fight here, but if you don't think it's insulting to describe other people as subscribing to a "sheep mentality", you must move in different social circles than I do.
post #65 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Look, I'm not interested in starting a big fight here, but if you don't think it's insulting to describe other people as subscribing to a "sheep mentality", you must move in different social circles than I do.

I like it, the lamb. This is a bad thing?
post #66 of 125
ok, it looks like this thread has moved off in some other direction but i just thought of someone: Guy Pearce. the two most notable roles for me are a transvestite in Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert and the ambitious cop in LA Confidential.

-Jeff
post #67 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelan
ok, it looks like this thread has moved off in some other direction but i just thought of someone: Guy Pearce. the two most notable roles for me are a transvestite in Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert and the ambitious cop in LA Confidential.

-Jeff

good call... I think he falls victim to the "pretty boy" mentality and people don't take him as serious as an actor. Don't forget Memento, which he was great in and Ravenous, my personal favorite faux donner party cannibal/vampire movie.
post #68 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Fuck that, it's stupid Nazi trash....

Jon, sometimes you can come across as a real douche.

post #69 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
good call... I think he falls victim to the "pretty boy" mentality and people don't take him as serious as an actor. Don't forget Memento, which he was great in and Ravenous, my personal favorite faux donner party cannibal/vampire movie.

He starred in the (by all accounts) horrible Time Machine remake. I think this movie might have set back his Hollywood career. After Memento, he was a bit of an "it" boy for a time. More recently, he appeared in the terrific (by all accounts) The Proposition.
post #70 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by richstyle
Eric Roberts

"CHAWLIE, they cut off my fuckin' thumbs!"

From that same era, I've always liked "Something Wild", the dopey Melanie Griffiths/Jeff Daniels vehicle that takes a violently sharp turn once Ray Liotta makes an appearance...
post #71 of 125
Bill Nighy
John Hurt
post #72 of 125
Michael Keaton
post #73 of 125
he's been awarded a few industry honors but i still say he's underrated: Oliver Platt. my favorite role is his current one as the morally deprived but brilliant attorney in Showtime's series, Huff.

-Jeff
post #74 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britalian
Bill Nighy
John Hurt
Oddly enough I watched 1984 for the first time today...
post #75 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I never said the conversation was all that interesting, but I didn't really understand the question to call for in-depth essays - it struck me more as poll-type thing. Nor is it surprising to me that the responses are similar to those in other fora - it just suggests that whatever degree of consensus exists is not endemic to SF. I strongly prefer vanilla ice cream to other flavors. So do lots of other people. That doesn't make my preference any less sincere, or any less "legitimate". If somebody prefers shit-flavored ice cream that's their perogative, but it doesn't mean that I subscribe to a "sheep mentality" of which they are admirably free.
Look, I'm not interested in starting a big fight here, but if you don't think it's insulting to describe other people as subscribing to a "sheep mentality", you must move in different social circles than I do.

Thanks for that wonderful, pat me on the head speech. Now let's join hands.

Back to reality - this is a place where typically the topic at hand gets quite some discussion, there are some intelligent people here and social norms like the one I'm addressing are often discussed. I'm glad you like shit flavoured ice cream, but for me that's not really an interesting topic. When discussing aesthetics, more specifically film, I think fleshing out why Connery is automatically "the best Bond" can be meaningful in determining what people's priorities are in terms of film going. It might sound ludicrous to you, but seeing as the arts and some culture is a major part of my life, these are vital discussions whereas it might be more water cooler type material for you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Most UNDERRATED movie/actor