or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The gays on Modern Family never have sex
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The gays on Modern Family never have sex - Page 3

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
I'd bet that a majority of guys who are not biggoted, and are not against gay rights have the same eww reaction that I have. I voted no on Prop 8 and I had to look away at some scenes in Brokeback Mountain, so sue me.

Don't bet a lot, friend.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggs View Post
It has nothing to do with being behind. I'm as pro gay rights as one can get and seeing two guys kiss just evokes an "Ewww" reaction from me. .

have to say, me too
post #33 of 49
personally dont care for seeing homos making out.

mind you i dont really like watching heteros making out either

lesbians on the other hand, are a different story.*

* porn lesbians, not real lesbians.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert View Post
* hot lesbians, not real lesbians.

FTFY
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
I found it strange that Phil and Claire regularly allude to, or are shown having just had sex, and similar suggestions are made with the old dude and the hot Colombian woman... Claire's mom, the oldest daughter Haley having sex... but the two gays, which are a major part of the show, are never depicted in a physically intimate moment nor is there ever any sexual suggestion made. They have the most asexual part on the show. I guess america is still quite behind.

The real issue, as is typical for US television, is money rather than morals. Sure, the network could imply these guys going at it, but some ticked-off Jesus-freak from Monkey's Elbow, KY will write one of the show's sponsors, who will pull their advertising and bam! - the network freaks out and backs off, despite all evidence showing such complaints are a miniscule portion of their viewership. Other countries have the same sort of nutjobs, but because a lot of their television doesn't depend on outside revenue, they simply ignore them.

US television that isn't dependent on corporate sponsorship (i.e. cable) is on par with other countries, as has been noted.
post #36 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I think you are wrong here. Unless you are going to equate the UK with London, France with Paris etc, you will find that the backwardness of most of these countries is staggering. It just so happens that our population distributions are different, and fewer people in the US live in the more "advanced" urban areas.
I'm talking about what's consumed on TV. I'm sorry but you can't even begin to argue that things on UK and French television aren't about 20 years ahead of US television, and that means the most widely viewed programs and films. Emmanuelle happened in the 70s. That still couldn't happen here. It also can't be denied that despite the provincial populations that inevitably exist in any country, you're dealing with far more liberal governments in France and the UK as far same sex legislation goes.
post #37 of 49
Did not read the previous posts due to an exam in 7 hours and class in 5, but I found this.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.       I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
post #38 of 49
That video is why I hate religion in any and all forms.

I remember when the gay couple on buffy was a big deal. For a while they had to veil their sexual relationship by showing the two characters doing magic. When they had their first big on screen kiss, it was a huge deal.

I also remember that when one of the gay characters was killed off on the show, Joss Whedon was accused of being ant-gay. Apparently, the two characters had just had sex prior to one of then being killed so gay-rights advocates saw this as Joss Whedon's way of punishing homosexual activity
post #39 of 49
ive no problem with us tv being '20 years behind' or its 'backwardness' and 'puritanism' if they mean two more decades without graphic homosexual romps on primetime. just another pleasant american quirk like our relative lack of pervasive antisemitism compared to europe or our overabundance of obese men
post #40 of 49
I think it's interesting that the OP says that 'america is still quite behind', but he uses the term 'the gays'. In my opinion, it seems as if you are a little behind.
post #41 of 49
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSquared View Post
I think it's interesting that the OP says that 'america is still quite behind', but he uses the term 'the gays'. In my opinion, it seems as if you are a little behind.

Ehh, given my line of work I am surrounded by gay people and I don't think any one of them would take exception to that term. Also remember we're on a forum where half of everything written is tongue in cheek.

In any case, I find the homophobia on this forum to be pretty alarming.
post #42 of 49
^I don't know that I'd use the term "alarming", but yeah, it is surprising.
post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Ehh, given my line of work I am surrounded by gay people and I don't think any one of them would take exception to that term. Also remember we're on a forum where half of everything written is tongue in cheek.

In any case, I find the homophobia on this forum to be pretty alarming.

I get what you are saying.

I agree that the homophobia is abundant on this site. Interesting enough since a lot of straight men would think that by talking about what we talk about, that we would be gay.
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnewI View Post
That video is why I hate religion in any and all forms.

I remember when the gay couple on buffy was a big deal. For a while they had to veil their sexual relationship by showing the two characters doing magic. When they had their first big on screen kiss, it was a huge deal.

I also remember that when one of the gay characters was killed off on the show, Joss Whedon was accused of being ant-gay. Apparently, the two characters had just had sex prior to one of then being killed so gay-rights advocates saw this as Joss Whedon's way of punishing homosexual activity

I hate the whole "you should have gay characters, but don't make them bad-guys, die, wrong, etc" aspect I hear occasionally.

The Doctor Who spin-off "Torchwood" recently killed off a gay character, but it received a huge positive review from critics. Mostly because they didn't treat him as "gay", but rather a main character, who is the love interest of the main character, who happens to be gay. (I.e: being gay wasn't the main quality, like being straight isn't for others).

Of course, some people still reacted with the whole "homophobia" line, which is funny, because the lead actor and the writer are both openly gay.
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R. View Post
I hate the whole "you should have gay characters, but don't make them bad-guys, die, wrong, etc" aspect I hear occasionally.

The Doctor Who spin-off "Torchwood" recently killed off a gay character, but it received a huge positive review from critics. Mostly because they didn't treat him as "gay", but rather a main character, who is the love interest of the main character, who happens to be gay. (I.e: being gay wasn't the main quality, like being straight isn't for others).

Of course, some people still reacted with the whole "homophobia" line, which is funny, because the lead actor and the writer are both openly gay.

Agreed. One interesting thing about the lesbian relationship in Buffy was that they didn't make an event out of it in the series. There was no coming out episode. none of that social problem of the week crap. you just saw the gradual progression of two female characters who were seemingly falling in love. in fact, their first on screen kiss occurred during an episode where a integral character suddenly passes away from a stroke or something. one character was clearly upset, and the other character kisses her in comfort. Very natural.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The gays on Modern Family never have sex