• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Mafoofan Help Himself

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, I need help. For the past nine years, I've avoided working out and going to the gym, while essentially eating whatever the hell I felt like. Now that I'm approaching 30, I realize that I've fallen desperately out of shape. I'm not fat or overweight, but soft and prone to weight fluctuation.

Here's what I'm looking for: (1) an intense workout routine over the next couple of months that will get me into shape, which I can do from home, and (2) a long-term, lower effort routine that I can keep up relatively easily. I don't want to gain bulk, but trim down a bit and gain definition.

Another limitation: my job has incredibly unpredictable hours that tend to be very long, so I need something manageable. If I really, really push myself, I can probably do 45 minutes to an hour, five days a week.

Is this possible? If so what do you recommend? Thanks

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Beachbody's Power 90 or P90X programs.

I've worked out at home for the past 2-3 years using the P90X and P90X+ programs.

You'll need to get some equipment though. Pull up and some weights.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mafoofan, what does your current diet look like? Be aware that hours in the gym will be wasted if you are not eating properly.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

I've worked out at home for the past 2-3 years using the P90X and P90X+ programs.

Agree on the P90X.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brah, just lift 5*5 and eat, eat, eat.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI

Weights I can do. Pull-up bar, I don't know--depends if it will work with the door frames in our apartment.

I thought P90X was for people who were already fit? I'm ashamed to say I don't really qualify under that heading.

And what about maintenance? I can't and won't keep up 45-60 minutes, 5 days a week.

Originally Posted by mm84321
Mafoofan, what does your current diet look like? Be aware that hours in the gym will be wasted if you are not eating properly.

I minimize junk food, but eat dessert when it looks good. Little to no fast food. Mostly home-cooked stuff.

Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Try and fit a 45-hour run/swim every few days, along with what ever weight program you choose.

That will be tough to do. I used to run everyday in college, but I'm not sure I have the willpower to keep it up these days.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Try and fit a 45-hour run/swim every few days, along with what ever weight program you choose.

I agree, don't waste money on unnecessary programs or whatever. If it has to be from home, get a rowing machine (concept 2) or treadmill for aerobic training, and then a pair of dumbbells for weight training. For the weight training, just do as many reps as you can for every given muscle group twice a week.

At your size (and all of us skinny guys) our bodies don't change much whether we're lifting or not, so you don't need to worry about doing exactly the ideal number of reps or whatever. Diet also isn't that important, you can still probably eat whatever you want if you're reliably exercising.

Whatever you do, just stick with it for the initial couple months... after that it becomes second nature and you'll want to do it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
5*5?
Sorry, feeling lousy today and apparently felt the need for dumb humour. Just repeating stuff I read on the health forum. Good luck with reaching your goals. When I was about 28 I got back into shape by swimming 3-4 times a week for 30-45 min. Mostly free stroke. Felt great. That's not from the home though.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you know how many calories you are taking in? 75% of the battle is at the table, not at the gym. If you cut down on carbs, keep your calories about 500 below maintenance and do a reasonable amount of exercise 3 or 4 times a week, you'll lean out. But if you you overeat (I'm not talking about junk food, just total calories), you will not make progress.

I will recommend what I always recommend to beginners. Do an honest estimation of how many calories you are ingesting each day. That's the first step.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ Thanks Svenn. I think I would benefit from a program though--I don't have the discipline to keep it up on my own.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Do you know how many calories you are taking in? 75% of the battle is at the table, not at the gym. If you cut down on carbs, keep your calories about 500 below maintenance and do a reasonable amount of exercise 3 or 4 times a week, you'll lean out. But if you you overeat (I'm not talking about junk food, just total calories), you will not make progress.

I will recommend what I always recommend to beginners. Do an honest estimation of how many calories you are ingesting each day. That's the first step.

Oh, I know I over-eat. I love food. Considering my size, I should probably be eating 1400-1600 calories a day, when I'm actually eating over 2000.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was just going to recomend P90X.

also, don't underestimate the value of flexibility/toning, not just strength. Doing some stuff like yoga and pilates will actually improve your posture and flexibility which may be more appropriate given your (and my) stature. Packing on pure muscle isn't the way to go IMO.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Oh, I know I over-eat. I love food. Considering my size, I should probably be eating 1400-1600 calories a day, when I'm actually eating over 2000.

You have to run a calorie deficit to make progress. There's no two ways about it. Either you cut down your intake, or you put in enough cardio to run a deficit. Your choice.

I would recommend:

1. Estimate your daily maintenance calories. Easy to do - just google for online bmr calculator. Estimate your BMR and then multiply with a multiplier for sedentary (typically 1.2 or so). That will give you your maintenance calorie level.

2. Make an honest assessment of what you eat every day and run a deficit, either by reducing your intake or by doing enough cardio to run a deficit. Either way, the key is to run a deficit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads