or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What do you guys think of this pair of shoe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What do you guys think of this pair of shoe?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
I was on a budget and I had a 15% off coupon to use on this pair of oxfords. What do you guys think?

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374737002
post #2 of 17
well, they're inexpensive, i give you that. aesthetically there is nothing really bad about them, but quality will be an issue later on if you know what i mean. i say go for it if you really like them, just as long as you know these shoes probably won't last long.
post #3 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidicboy
well, they're inexpensive, i give you that. aesthetically there is nothing really bad about them, but quality will be an issue later on if you know what i mean. i say go for it if you really like them, just as long as you know these shoes probably won't last long.

Honestly I never really had any issues with BR clothes. Unfortunately as a university student, I cannot spend more than $200 for a pair of shoes. I guess if this pair last more than a year I'll be happy. I guess I was looking for more a opinion on the asthetics of the shoes.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I was on a budget and I had a 15% off coupon to use on this pair of oxfords. What do you guys think?

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374737002

IMO those aren't a good deal even for $150. You can buy something like this all day long on ebay, and it would have been a much better pair of shoes. Your feet will hate you for buying BR shoes, they're not only low quality but some of the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever owned. Not only that but they are too chunky to be used as a dress shoe, and too ugly to be used as a casual shoe. Something like the following would be much better for dress, and there are many options for a black casual oxford.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLEN-EDMONDS-PA...QQcmdZViewItem
post #5 of 17
i don't like the BRs....for 150 though, I guess its very inexpensive. HOWEVER, after being in the US, I believe that there are a lot of deals to be had on the internet. Styleforum is a great place to educate yourself on what to look for!
post #6 of 17
You could get into some Allen Edmonds for under 200 and get a great shoe to dress up or down.
Other SF members will have some great tips on how /where.
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I was on a budget and I had a 15% off coupon to use on this pair of oxfords. What do you guys think?

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374737002

you can get brand new BR shoes on ebay for less than $50. sometimes less than $30.

as the owner (or former owner) of 4 or 5 pairs, i can tell you they're really not worth it. much better to go to sierra trading post or DSW and pick up Allen Edmonds for $150.
post #8 of 17
I would contend that those shoes are neither dress nor Oxfords. This aside, I would give them a pass. The soles are just too clunky.
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I was on a budget and I had a 15% off coupon to use on this pair of oxfords. What do you guys think?

http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=374737002
Very cheap looking, non-stylish shoes (in my opinion).
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
IMO those aren't a good deal even for $150. You can buy something like this all day long on ebay, and it would have been a much better pair of shoes. Your feet will hate you for buying BR shoes, they're not only low quality but some of the most uncomfortable shoes I've ever owned. Not only that but they are too chunky to be used as a dress shoe, and too ugly to be used as a casual shoe. Something like the following would be much better for dress, and there are many options for a black casual oxford.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALLEN-EDMONDS-PA...QQcmdZViewItem

I can still return the shoes and get a refund. Is that pair of oxford brand new in that link? Any other suggestions for a pair of under $200 oxford shoes?
post #11 of 17
The $49.95 Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues on that link were described as being in "very good" condition, which would imply to me that they have indeed been worn. The seller is also misrepresenting matters when they state that full retail value is $325. It is actually $305.

If you are a college student, I would question your need for the Park Avenue in black except for job interviews. It is really inappropriate for wear with anything except a conservative business suit, although some men choose to make do with them as tuxedo shoes as well, although most of our mavens here would frown on the practice.

Allen-Edmonds has many more versatile styles that would be more appropriate for most situations a student would find himself in.

Allen-Edmonds outlets sell factory seconds. At present, a shoe that carries a $305 price tag will go for $229 as a second. These prices drop at their semi-annual sales. The Cabazon outlet near me is having a $25-off Columbus-day sale at the moment. The best buys in A-E shoes are in closeout seconds. Nordstrom's Rack is a good source of these. In some areas so is DSW, reportedly, although I have never seen any the couple of times I have visited a DSW. The difference between seconds and firsts is usually minimal to imperceptible in my not inconsiderable experience.

I have bought many excellent pairs of top-tier Allen-Edmonds shoes for $129 and less.

I hope this is somewhat informative, Sarge.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The $49.95 Allen-Edmonds Park Avenues on that link were described as being in "very good" condition, which would imply to me that they have indeed been worn. The seller is also misrepresenting matters when they state that full retail value is $325. It is actually $305.

If you are a college student, I would question your need for the Park Avenue in black except for job interviews. It is really inappropriate for wear with anything except a conservative business suit, although some men choose to make do with them as tuxedo shoes as well, although most of our mavens here would frown on the practice.

Allen-Edmonds has many more versatile styles that would be more appropriate for most situations a student would find himself in.

Allen-Edmonds outlets sell factory seconds. At present, a shoe that carries a $305 price tag will go for $229 as a second. These prices drop at their semi-annual sales. The Cabazon outlet near me is having a $25-off Columbus-day sale at the moment. The best buys in A-E shoes are in closeout seconds. Nordstrom's Rack is a good source of these. In some areas so is DSW, reportedly, although I have never seen any the couple of times I have visited a DSW. The difference between seconds and firsts is usually minimal to imperceptible in my not inconsiderable experience.

I have bought many excellent pairs of top-tier Allen-Edmonds shoes for $129 and less.

I hope this is somewhat informative, Sarge.

I want a pair of oxfords that I can wear with my dress pants to work. I'm working in an office in between my school hours. I don't want to buy any used shoes. If that is inappropriate, what do you recommend then? I'm leaning towards buying online.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I want a pair of oxfords that I can wear with my dress pants to work. I'm working in an office in between my school hours. I don't want to buy any used shoes. If that is inappropriate, what do you recommend then? I'm leaning towards buying online.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...-Shoes-For-Men

This is a good choice, I would think. I'm pretty sure there is a 10% or 20% off code floating around.
post #14 of 17
Those BR shoes are totally unremarkable. To me you may as well get Kenneth Cole or Florscheims for $50 to $125.00.

If ther's a Nordstrom Rack or Off-Saks 5th, check them out. They often have Allen Edmonds at about $ 150 to 185. You won't regret it.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
What do you guys think of this pair of shoes from Cole Haan?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2857227/...bo=2375564&P=1

I think I'll ask my mom to see if she'll help pay for half the cost. If you guys were to have $300 to spend on a pair of shoes from either Saks/Nordstrom/Neiman Marcus, which one would you buy? I'm leaning towards an Oxford. I will need this not only for my office job, but future job interviews as well. I also would need to order this online as I have no means to go to the store and try it out. Also what about shoe sizes? I notice that dress shoe sizes tend to be smaller than sneaker shoe sizes. I wear 9.5 for my sneakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › What do you guys think of this pair of shoe?