Originally Posted by Ian Cotterill
I'd like to correct you on a couple of points.
Fielding & Nicholson offers both a fully bespoke service and made to measure.
The tailoring for our full bespoke offering is cut and finished by hand by our own in house tailor Raymond Chung, who works out of our Clerkenwell base. Raymond has also worked in Savile Row and has great pedigree in the industry. At only £1200 plus VAT it is excellent value for the quality of workmanship and man hours that are put into this garment.
Our made to measure offering is there as literally an entry level to get those interested who would not or could not afford full bespoke garments. This is made both in Yorkshire and overseas.
Please don't bracket us in the same category as those mentioned as we are a high quality English company working with English cloth merchants and cutting in England.
Yes Mr Fielding, lets clarify.
When I last spoke to you (around 12 months ago), you informed me and I worked out the following
1. You are not a tailor. You used to work for Tom James as a 'professional clothier', which is a sales driven operation.
In fact you explicitly state in your job advertisments for 'professional clothiers' that they need no tailoring experience
2. Your made to measure (or as you described to me, semi bespoke) starts at £1200+vat (£1440). I do not meet my cutter. I would have consultations and fittings with a 'professional clothier' who has no tailoring backgound. Your cutting for these suits is done in Leeds, if I remember. Could you please clarify if this semi-bespoke is fully canvassed or half. And if work is done overseas (cuting and tailoring?), are you going through Mr Sleater?
3. Your full bespoke, kicks off at £2400+vat (£2880). Raymond (he doesn't work on your mtm?), I belive trained in Hong Kong. You informed me though that he has done some work at/for Richard Anderson. Steven Hitchcock charges £2250+vat. Tom Mahon charges £2260+vat. I'd rather have them, with their background build my suit, and I will save £200
4.You do not (or last time I spoke to you, you did not) stock Holland and Sherry cloth. All other professional tailors do! Is this due to a falling out with Tom James (who are part of the same IAG that own H&S)
5. You informed me you expect your customers to pay the full price UP FRONT. Every other tailor I have spoken to is happy to do at least 50% on order 50% on delivery. When challenged on this you told me 'our customers like it that way'. Well, do you even offer then the option? For the record , I am a customer, I don't like it that way!
5. if I go to Graham Browne, Sims, Mr Antoniou or even Cad, I can meet and consult with professional cutters and tailors that are, in my opinion, better value than you. No offence but why should I give you £1500 for a suit and have Alexander Riley (a man who used to run soccer camps) sort me out, when I can give Mr Sleater less £1k and I can have Jon DeBoise cut and fit my suit and I can have it made in the UK. Unless you can differentiate yourself from the competion its a bit of a no-brainer really
6. You appear to be doing a lot of these groupon/kgb deals recently, £1500 suit down to £600!!! Can you please tell us the business model for this please? It doesn't make sense offering a £1.5K suit for £600!!!! If this is not the case, lets all visit you and get a fully canvased suit for £600!
And by they way, have you kissed and made up with Simon Cundey yet after you used Henry Poole photos on your website without their permission. Would you care to explain to the forum why you used these photos to descibe your work in the first place. This could be miscontrude by customers as misrepresentation, or perhaps worse, copyright theft!