or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin

post #1 of 115
Thread Starter 
Have two dinners (one early dinner/late lunch).

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.
post #2 of 115
make sure you them how to sweat their veggies
post #3 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
make sure you them how to sweat their veggies

Not a problem mexicans have.

And BBQ it's irrelevant.
post #4 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
And BBQ it's irrelevant.

bbq, where white bread is considered a vegetable.
post #5 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
bbq, where white bread is considered a vegetable.

I don't know what that's so insanely funny but it's so true... it has caused untold obesity but it's soo funny.
post #6 of 115
back in the day ... way back in the day, actually, i used to eat 2-3 times a week at the original Stubbs BBQ in Lubbock, TX ... the guy whose sauce is in grocery stores now. he served his bbq (the best i've ever had), with beans, potato salad, a big wedge of white onion and wonder bread.
post #7 of 115
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post
back in the day ... way back in the day, actually, i used to eat 2-3 times a week at the original Stubbs BBQ in Lubbock, TX ... the guy whose sauce is in grocery stores now. he served his bbq (the best i've ever had), with beans, potato salad, a big wedge of white onion and wonder bread.

I've always wondered about the bread at the bottom...
post #8 of 115
i hate to say it, but there is something about soaking a gooey piece of white bread in bbq sauce that you just don't get with a poilane boule.
post #9 of 115
Franklin BBQ is probably the best BBQ actually IN Austin.

http://www.franklinbarbecue.com/

Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market 20 minutes south down HWY 183 in Lockhart are probably the two best in the area, if not the entire state.

Also, remember this is Texas. We do brisket and sausage well, pork not so much.



For Mexican....Fonda San Miguel. http://www.fondasanmiguel.com/
post #10 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule View Post
Also, remember this is Texas. We do brisket and sausage well, pork not so much.

pork ribs, though! never have liked beef ribs.
post #11 of 115
Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX does a pretty good job on their beef ribs, but I'm like you, I'd rather pork ribs than beef ribs.
post #12 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
Have two dinners (one early dinner/late lunch).

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.

BBQ IN TOWN. (Lockhart, Tx. is more like a 45 minute drive, depending on where you start out from, lunch only) black owned dives: Sam's on E 12th & Chicon, Ray's on Montopolis Dr. at Monsanto,
white owned "dives:" House Park W. 12th off Lamar, Green Mesquite on Barton Springs (open at night)
sort of fancy white joints with bars, etc. Iron Works near Convention Center, Stubb's on Red River and 8th, County Line on the Lake on RR 2222 at Loop 360.

BBQ is usually a lunch time affair unless you go to the fancy joints or want to hang with a drunk or two at Sam's.

Tex-Mex: Matt's El Rancho, (old line emphasis on the Tex. also, El Patio, Nuevo Leon, El Azteca etc. Almost anything with El beginning the name, all pretty close to downtown, some on the east (Mexican) side.
More Mex than Tex: El Sol y La Luna (good for breakfast meet, etc.) on e6th at Red River, Fonda San Miguel (pretty nice, a little fancy-date ready).

Ignore anything else you've read in this thread if it conflicts with what I've said. PM me if you need any clarification on any of this. 'Nuff said.
post #13 of 115
Do you not like this guy or something? Why would you ever suggest someone go to Stubbs, Green Mesquite or County Line?
post #14 of 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole War Skule View Post
Do you not like this guy or something? Why would you ever suggest someone go to Stubbs, Green Mesquite or County Line?
Because: he said "under 24 hours, keep it in town." Thus, no Lockhart, no Taylor, no small towns. Because: sometimes people want a "restaurant" with a bar, late hours, waitresses, etc. The meat at those places is not bad, last time I ate at any of them. I could do without the rest of it, but again, not everyone wants to eat in a "joint." I think I gave him a choice, in town, and no corporate chain places (I saw a whole segment of a tv show that hung around "Rudy's" of all the god-awful places).
post #15 of 115
I write for Fearless Critic and can recommend Franklin Barbecue and El Naranjo for real Mexican, not Tex-Mex.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin