or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official APRIL IN PARIS (custom leather artisan) Thread: Feedback, Pics, Reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official APRIL IN PARIS (custom leather artisan) Thread: Feedback, Pics, Reviews - Page 6

post #76 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLKY View Post

Full calf messenger bag, sterling silver hardware
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
700

700

700

700

700

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #77 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLKY View Post

Full calf messenger bag, sterling silver hardware

700

700

700

700

700

quanto
post #78 of 100
pm sent
post #79 of 100
That IS a beautiful case...

800x600px-LL-231486b0_AiPiphone4_1.jpeg

I won't pollute this thread with alternative suggestions, but identical design full leather cases are out there.

Not NEARLY as nice, obviously... This one is fabulous!
post #80 of 100
Thread Starter 
Beautiful bag, DLKY. Really glad you chose Bea and I think you'll be thrilled with how her "stingray print" calf ages over time.
post #81 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post

Beautiful bag, DLKY. Really glad you chose Bea and I think you'll be thrilled with how her "stingray print" calf ages over time.

Thanks! I hope to be able to commission more items from her in the future. Perhaps a briefcase.
post #82 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLKY View Post


Thanks! I hope to be able to commission more items from her in the future. Perhaps a briefcase.

Yes, I've got two or three potential future commissions I have in mind. One a messenger similar to yours, another a top handled brief (not an attache, but more of a porte-documents), and a portfolio/leather envelope style. There was a wonderful vintage Hermes "portable writing desk" version on ebay, which was basically an A4 sized leather portfolio with a front flap that opened to reveal a reinforced back (on which to write) and a side for pockets, pens, etc. I

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hermes-Paris-Porte-documents-Briefcase-HERMES-/160652583715?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item2567a3e323

I'd love something like this in a slightly tweaked version (and a different color.) I'd think a contrasting outside/inside leather combo would be lovely, or maybe a bright/contrasting stitching (electric blue? Orange? etc.)
post #83 of 100
Does anyone know how much she charges for a leather belt in calf?

Edit: Never mind. Found it on her website.
Quote:
Belts range from $425 to $2,400, depending on the material and buckles.

Does anyone have any pictures of her belts? How do they compare to other belt makers like House of Fleming?
Edited by Odd I/O - 9/23/11 at 11:20pm
post #84 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach2jlc View Post


Yes, I've got two or three potential future commissions I have in mind. One a messenger similar to yours, another a top handled brief (not an attache, but more of a porte-documents), and a portfolio/leather envelope style. There was a wonderful vintage Hermes "portable writing desk" version on ebay, which was basically an A4 sized leather portfolio with a front flap that opened to reveal a reinforced back (on which to write) and a side for pockets, pens, etc. I

EDIT: Found it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hermes-Paris-Porte-documents-Briefcase-HERMES-/160652583715?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item2567a3e323

I'd love something like this in a slightly tweaked version (and a different color.) I'd think a contrasting outside/inside leather combo would be lovely, or maybe a bright/contrasting stitching (electric blue? Orange? etc.)

wow, that is a beast.
post #85 of 100
Purple stingray with brown grain calf.

469
469
469
469
post #86 of 100
Bea is having a 20% off for commissions ordered this month.
post #87 of 100
I finally made my way into see Bea today to look into having a customized alligator watch strap made up to replace the horribly sub-par one I wasted my money on about two years ago. This watch has seen very little wear, ( about 4 times in the last 3 years) simply due to my incredible talent in losing crowns. The watch sat unfixed for the last 8 months or so, after the last crown managed to unwind and fall off while I was at work ( mostly my fault, I felt it loosening and didn't take it off my wrist, thinking it would make it thru the day). I just got it back from having it repaired and decided it was time to act on my desire to really upgrade the band to something more suiting the vision I had for the watch. I'm a 3-4 watch kind of guy, and this is my main dress watch, but I wanted it to stand out so I opted for a navy blue band with a contrast stitch that resembled the rose gold of the dial. She gave me the lead on a good watchmaker in San Francisco who might be able to help me get the watch hands swapped out to blued ones. I'll save the original hands in case I ever want to switch it back to stock.

Here's an earlier photo that showed the dial better. The crown on it at this time was too wide, unwound and fell off. I'll have comparison shots to put up when it's finished.
380

The creasing on this band is quite evident. It's a cheaper highly polished type of alligator. The padding is too thick and the scales are obscured. Mind you, it's only been worn a total of 4 times, maybe a total of 36 hours, yet looks like it's very worn. The photos actually make it look better than it does in real life. Another very important detail to her work, on the strap, the holes are smaller, and closer together, greatly improving the fit. On this one, it's either a bit too tight or too loose. These are 7mm apart and there's 7 of them. On hers, I was able to go with only 5, and they are 4-5mm apart. I was tempted to just go with 3 holes, but thought it would be too limiting. I just want the beautiful scales to as unobscured as possible.
507

The scales on the band that will replace this one has the exact shape that I chose. I opted for a balance of small spherical scales, that have good 3 dimensional depth to them and texture, but not quite appearing like frog skin ( ugly IMO). It also will have less shine than this. Not quite matte finished, but less glossy for sure. The buttery texture of the alligator is amazing. She was able to flex and stretch the material easily. I thought it was fragile. I was wrong.
474

Bea is busy with the holiday rush, so it will be a while before the strap is finished, but I will update this post with before and after pictures for comparison sake. I tried to take some moderately better photo's of it this time.

I also picked up a nice simple slim wallet while I was there. Like it's been mentioned several times before in this thread, Bea is an absolute charm to work with. She still is enthusiastic about her craft, all these years later.

Trying to tweak the color temp and white balance to show the most accurate shade of deep blue.
233

I really like the arch on the left, making it easier to see the denomination of the bills. The thumb hole on the right makes it very easy to slide out the one debit card and drivers license I carry, trying to keep it a slim front pocket wallet.
233

Her non custom wallets are machine stitched. If you're laying down serious money for a custom designed piece or a luxury hide like alligator it will be hand sewn. The embossed "stingray" pattern leathers that she purchases from tanneries in France are buttery soft.
233
post #88 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chips View Post

I finally made my way into see Bea today to look into having a customized alligator watch strap made up to replace the horribly sub-par one I wasted my money on about two years ago. This watch has seen very little wear, ( about 4 times in the last 3 years) simply due to my incredible talent in losing crowns. The watch sat unfixed for the last 8 months or so, after the last crown managed to unwind and fall off while I was at work ( mostly my fault, I felt it loosening and didn't take it off my wrist, thinking it would make it thru the day). I just got it back from having it repaired and decided it was time to act on my desire to really upgrade the band to something more suiting the vision I had for the watch. I'm a 3-4 watch kind of guy, and this is my main dress watch, but I wanted it to stand out so I opted for a navy blue band with a contrast stitch that resembled the rose gold of the dial. She gave me the lead on a good watchmaker in San Francisco who might be able to help me get the watch hands swapped out to blued ones. I'll save the original hands in case I ever want to switch it back to stock.
Here's an earlier photo that showed the dial better. The crown on it at this time was too wide, unwound and fell off. I'll have comparison shots to put up when it's finished.
380
The creasing on this band is quite evident. It's a cheaper highly polished type of alligator. The padding is too thick and the scales are obscured. Mind you, it's only been worn a total of 4 times, maybe a total of 36 hours, yet looks like it's very worn. The photos actually make it look better than it does in real life. Another very important detail to her work, on the strap, the holes are smaller, and closer together, greatly improving the fit. On this one, it's either a bit too tight or too loose. These are 7mm apart and there's 7 of them. On hers, I was able to go with only 5, and they are 4-5mm apart. I was tempted to just go with 3 holes, but thought it would be too limiting. I just want the beautiful scales to as unobscured as possible.
507
The scales on the band that will replace this one has the exact shape that I chose. I opted for a balance of small spherical scales, that have good 3 dimensional depth to them and texture, but not quite appearing like frog skin ( ugly IMO). It also will have less shine than this. Not quite matte finished, but less glossy for sure. The buttery texture of the alligator is amazing. She was able to flex and stretch the material easily. I thought it was fragile. I was wrong.
474
Bea is busy with the holiday rush, so it will be a while before the strap is finished, but I will update this post with before and after pictures for comparison sake. I tried to take some moderately better photo's of it this time.
I also picked up a nice simple slim wallet while I was there. Like it's been mentioned several times before in this thread, Bea is an absolute charm to work with. She still is enthusiastic about her craft, all these years later.
Trying to tweak the color temp and white balance to show the most accurate shade of deep blue.
233
I really like the arch on the left, making it easier to see the denomination of the bills. The thumb hole on the right makes it very easy to slide out the one debit card and drivers license I carry, trying to keep it a slim front pocket wallet.
233
Her non custom wallets are machine stitched. If you're laying down serious money for a custom designed piece or a luxury hide like alligator it will be hand sewn. The embossed "stingray" pattern leathers that she purchases from tanneries in France are buttery soft.
233

Very nice watch and beautiful wallet :-)
post #89 of 100
Hopefully not beating a dead horse with these pictures, but I'm amazed to see what a difference can be had by removing the damn UV/Polarizing filter. I never knew they crushed the blues as much. These are nearly dead on, and straight out of the camera. An idiot with expensive camera gear still turns out crappy shots.

233

233

233
post #90 of 100
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to bump the thread. After seeing some absolutely beautiful rucksacks in Hermes' SS13 collection (price more than a good used Prius), I'm thinking of commissioning Bea again for a custom bag made to my specs.

Anybody in the market for a superlative bag in the $3-5k range with the time/interest/willingness to go bespoke should contact her and chat. My bespoke tote is holding up very well and even better now broken in than when new. I simply can't imagine why somebody would buy a Tom Ford/Hermes/Louis Vuitton seasonal bag in the $3k+ range without first chatting with Bea. She's a joy to work with, does great work, and will give you EXACTLY the bag you want.

Go for it.

ps the bag I'm thinking about is a personal/bespoke tweak on the following:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official APRIL IN PARIS (custom leather artisan) Thread: Feedback, Pics, Reviews