or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Whats a good mint julep recipe?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Whats a good mint julep recipe?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I purchased some fresh mint today to make some juleps and am overwhelmed by the amount of recipes online. Some want simple syrup and some call for powder sugar. Others want white table sugar!!! How do you guys make em?
post #2 of 11
i guess it's easier but i dont think simple syrup or powdered sugar is traditional. just muddle a few sprigs of mint with some sugar, add 3 or so oz of bourbon. add more sugar if you think it isnt sweet enough
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy View Post
I purchased some fresh mint today to make some juleps and am overwhelmed by the amount of recipes online. Some want simple syrup and some call for powder sugar. Others want white table sugar!!! How do you guys make em?

Simple syrup sucks unless you make it yourself. Sugar crystals are good but the finer the better.

I put about 8-10 mint leaves (no stems) at the bottom of the glass and gently muddle em with a spoon--I like mint flavor. Then I add the bourbon and stir in the sugar. Then plenty of crushed ice. I usually add a splash of selter water even though some would say that's not authentic...

In truth: as long as it tastes good to you, then it's a good mint julep.
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by escheriff View Post
Simple syrup sucks unless you make it yourself. Sugar crystals are good but the finer the better. Follow the above guide. I use a Collins glass and lots of mint.
Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.

Agree. And it tastes like shit. One of my biggest pet peeves is a bar that stocks factory simple syrup.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Why on God's green earth would someone buy premade simple syrup? It takes like 3 minutes to make and almost no effort.
Well....cocktails used to be made with something called Gomme syrup, which was simple syrup with a little gum arabic which gave it rather a different mouthfeel. So yeah, I wouldn't make regular simple syrup, but they do still sell some with gum, which would be a good enough reason to buy some. ~ H
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
Well....cocktails used to be made with something called Gomme syrup, which was simple syrup with a little gum arabic which gave it rather a different mouthfeel. So yeah, I wouldn't make regular simple syrup, but they do still sell some with gum, which would be a good enough reason to buy some. ~ H
Really, Gum Arabic? And Grant Achatz thinks he's on the cutting edge. Pffffft.
post #8 of 11
proper way is to soak the mint leaves in simple syrup for a day or two. If you don't have that kind of time then go ahead and muddle.
post #9 of 11
Forgot to mention -- I make my juleps by making a mint simple syrup -- just as the syrup comes to temp, I toss in freshly bruised mint leaves and let it cool. Muddling with sugar and mint is, I suppose, all well and good, but I really like my juleps this way. Then I toss a nice spearmint top into the drink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Really, Gum Arabic? And Grant Achatz thinks he's on the cutting edge. Pffffft.
I don't want to say there's nothing new under the sun, but you know. ~ H
post #10 of 11
I once lived in a place in Texas that had scads of lemon mint growing in the shade. I used it for cocktails and salads. Of course, that was back in the days when food processors were all the rage. Nowadays, I'd tear everything by hand.
post #11 of 11
My mint has all died, have to wait till April and then plant some more.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Whats a good mint julep recipe?