or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco - Page 3

post #31 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
How do you mean "selling fabrics"? I don't think he intends to sell lengths direct to the public, if that's what you mean. My impression is that business is very good - every time I've been in there he's had appointments before and after me, and had a steady stream of curious passersby stopping in. There's definitely demand for bespoke at an entry level price point. I expect they'll raise their prices to get close to parity with Chan once they're able to deliver on all of the Chan extras - full canvassing, hand sewn buttonholes, etc - Spoon's prices for comparable fabrics to Chan are not a lot cheaper today: the suit I just ordered from Chan for $1450 would have run me $1300 at Spoon (H&S Cape Kid High Twist / 2 piece).



But will he hold on to your pants for 2 years?

Yes, thats what I meant and was hoping for-at least shirting fabrics anyway.
post #32 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post
I expect they'll raise their prices to get close to parity with Chan once they're able to deliver on all of the Chan extras - full canvassing, hand sewn buttonholes, etc - Spoon's prices for comparable fabrics to Chan are not a lot cheaper today: the suit I just ordered from Chan for $1450 would have run me $1300 at Spoon (H&S Cape Kid High Twist / 2 piece).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishball View Post
Are you serious?

I'd stick with Chan if the prices are similiar.
post #33 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post
I'd stick with Chan if the prices are similiar.

No shit. I was going to jump on this for a significantly lower cost. What's the Chan-Spoon cost differential on shirts?
post #34 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishball View Post
Are you serious?

'fraid so. VBC is more like $700 I think. Chan is probably getting better prices on cloth than Spoon is able to get at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post
I'd stick with Chan if the prices are similiar.

Agreed, unless or until Spoon steps to Chan quality. Shirt prices are definitely better at Spoon, though, with entry level fabrics running $85 vs. $150 at Chan. Quality appears to be between Peter Lee and Chan levels (as far as my uneducated eye can tell).

I'm going to give them my shirt business for the time being, and will wait and see what happens with the rest of the business. It's so much more convenient - I ordered a shirt on Saturday and will have it in 2 - 3 weeks. Simple alterations will be done on-site within a couple of days. No waiting for Chan to come to SF, ordering, waiting 4 months for a fitting, waiting again, etc.
post #35 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon8 View Post
I'd stick with Chan if the prices are similiar.

...Although if there cut and quality are even close to Chan, there is tremendous value to having a tailor in your backyard. Price alone shouldn't be the deciding factor for bespoke.
post #36 of 231
Otheme, what are the trousers like?

Does anyone know about the fellows shop in Hong Kong?
post #37 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by academe View Post
...Although if there cut and quality are even close to Chan, there is tremendous value to having a tailor in your backyard. Price alone shouldn't be the deciding factor for bespoke.

Price should never be a deciding factor but at least you know the quality of Chan and you know that you'll be happy with the result.
post #38 of 231
Haven't seen them yet. Still waiting for my 3rd fitting to try on the final product. Pants sould be relatively low-tech. I specified down to the centimeters -- cuff width 20cm, knee width 25cm, natural waist, 2-inch cuff with minimum break.

As to the prices, I took the lowest grade 799 option. First suit, don't want to get an expensive fabric. I figured once my pattern has converged I'd go for a more expensive fabric. In fact I've already decided to order a 2nd suit with my own fabric. Even at 799 with my own fabric it's still worth it. The ability to see how everything looks on a basted shell and talk directly to the cutter is very valuable to me. My second suit would be a wide high-notch peak lapel, DB 6 on 2.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Archivist View Post
Otheme, what are the trousers like?

Does anyone know about the fellows shop in Hong Kong?
post #39 of 231
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archivist View Post

Does anyone know about the fellows shop in Hong Kong?

I believe they have a workshop in Hong Kong but not a storefront. Andrew told me many members of his family work in tailoring, but in fabrication, not retail.
post #40 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gong Tao View Post
I believe they have a workshop in Hong Kong but not a storefront. Andrew told me many members of his family work in tailoring, but in fabrication, not retail.

Ah, thank you. I misunderstood. I wondered if any of the Hong Kong crowd had ever used him, when he lived and worked there.

I'm still slightly confused about the nature of the jacket construction. Is it in fact half canvas, with the addition of the fusing? Or something else?
post #41 of 231
If it's half canvassed, then there's some fusing at the bottom.
post #42 of 231
Well, that is what is confusing me. The descriptions seem to indicate there is a full canvas, that it is "half stitched" and that there is in addition a layer of fusing. It's not clear how much of the jacket is fused.
post #43 of 231
Sounds to me like it's half canvassed. If it's fully canvassed, then there would be no fusing.
post #44 of 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post
Sounds to me like it's half canvassed. If it's fully canvassed, then there would be no fusing.

It's half-canvassed.
post #45 of 231
Merci
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › spoon tailor -hong kong bespoke operation in San Francisco