or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Viberg Boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Viberg Boots - Page 1133

post #16981 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePier View Post

To the best of my recollection, ALL the Japanese released product shown on Instagram is Stitchdown, no matter the last.
These seem to be IG'd by the stockists, not Viberg. Maybe Japan is getting GYW and they just don't IG GYW.

I dont think it's IG selectiveness but if it is that would say alot in terms of what people find appealing.

 

My read would be more like this:

 

  • Traditional stockists get stitchdown unless it is not "feasible" with the leather. Which is starting to appear like a suspect argument because I see stitchdown models at various retailers with the same leather as GYW from various "hard to work with" leathers. Much like any customer pre 2015 the product was stitchdown so I cant see a retailer start ordering a completely different aesthetic that in my opinion is not an improvement, particularly in the Japanese market where they like what they like with a fastidiousness unlike many others.

 

  • New stockists get whatever they are offered(within a range of choices) which is mostly GYW. Ie Mr Porter, the Hiker on Mr. Porter with GYW is a damn shame on so many levels.

 

  • And the company's website is pushing alot of GYW while still offering some stitchdown, to appease its more "hardcore" base lol

 

It is hard to know what a company's true motivations are, and as much as I like to speculate and I am interested as a fan of the brand and a student of business, it is after all their choice right or wrong.  And I am first to admit I have no knowledge of the their manufacturing process, costs are plans.  If they were ever to explicitly ask my opinion as a consumer I would gladly provide them with my thoughts.  But, personally I have yet to see a GYW boot from them that I am interested in buying and I do not plan on owning any.  The latest Kangaroo they are going to sell on Friday is a more appealing color than last weeks but it ends there, I wont touch it.

post #16982 of 19320
Agreed on all counts about the GYW models.. It's funny how one aesthetic throws off the whole look, but it really does. I'm hoping at some point I'll find a boot in a leather I want with stitch down, but it hasn't been looking too good recently.
post #16983 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDRH View Post

Has the shell cordovan fervor been put on its head, lol.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/522979/viberg-colour-8-shell-cordovan-service-boots-uk-11-us-12-eu-45

How are these still available?  And stitchdown no less..........

Are those pictures an accurate representation of the color? is that #8 a lot redder than "normal" #8?
post #16984 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post


Are those pictures an accurate representation of the color? is that #8 a lot redder than "normal" #8?

I honestly can't speak to the accuracy of his photos or even what those boots look like in person I have never seen them.  I have seen some IG photos of those boots from other people and they appear a bit more red than maroon but it wouldnt deter me in the least from purchasing them or saying they are not color #8.  Viberg doesnt doctor the color the way Alden does, in fact I think most manufacturers tend to leave shell cordovan in its delivered state relative to Alden.

 

I own one pair of Viberg Color 8 Service boots from Leffot and they have a more red color to them than what you might call traditional color #8 but even within "traditional" color 8 varies to a huge degree.  Which is why Alden of late has slathered it with so much secret sauce it looks almost black that way they achieve the consistency and uniformity seemingly desired or just avoid the complaints that are inherent with such an inconsistent product (which in my opinion is part of its charm).

 

I think the nature of shell cordovan, the fiber,  is that it does not take color well at all, and so each individual batch will take dye in variety of ways even if they are all intended to be the same.  I wouldnt be surprised if they just yanked stuff out the vats in tannery look at it and say I think we'll call this one color #2 or we can send to Carmina as ruby, and those other ones can be #4 and the stuff in the corner seems to be #8. In short I think the internet seems to have made it into a beast that it is not.

 

That is why on the Alden thread you have so many people saying my whiskey looks like Ravello and my Ravello is too much like whiskey, this cigar seems like Ravello.......etc.

post #16985 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mghart View Post

Agreed on all counts about the GYW models.. It's funny how one aesthetic throws off the whole look, but it really does. I'm hoping at some point I'll find a boot in a leather I want with stitch down, but it hasn't been looking too good recently.

Yep to me it is an entirely different product, and not why I started buying Viberg Boots. It is a completely different look, and Im not ever going to put such a hurting on my footwear that their ability to survive nuclear winter will come into question so Im much more interested in style, not that I dont care about quality of construction.  I'm sure they are no less durable, no less well made than their stitchdown counterparts and alot of effort has been put into making them, it is just not something I want or what I associate with the brand.  If I wanted to buy a GYW boot, I think there are other choices out there that I prefer.

post #16986 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post


Are those pictures an accurate representation of the color? is that #8 a lot redder than "normal" #8?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDRH View Post
 

I honestly can't speak to the accuracy of his photos or even what those boots look like in person I have never seen them.  I have seen some IG photos of those boots from other people and they appear a bit more red than maroon but it wouldnt deter me in the least from purchasing them or saying they are not color #8.  Viberg doesnt doctor the color the way Alden does, in fact I think most manufacturers tend to leave shell cordovan in its delivered state relative to Alden.

 

I own one pair of Viberg Color 8 Service boots from Leffot and they have a more red color to them than what you might call traditional color #8 but even within "traditional" color 8 varies to a huge degree.  Which is why Alden of late has slathered it with so much secret sauce it looks almost black that way they achieve the consistency and uniformity seemingly desired or just avoid the complaints that are inherent with such an inconsistent product (which in my opinion is part of its charm).

 

I think the nature of shell cordovan, the fiber,  is that it does not take color well at all, and so each individual batch will take dye in variety of ways even if they are all intended to be the same.  I wouldnt be surprised if they just yanked stuff out the vats in tannery look at it and say I think we'll call this one color #2 or we can send to Carmina as ruby, and those other ones can be #4 and the stuff in the corner seems to be #8. In short I think the internet seems to have made it into a beast that it is not.

 

That is why on the Alden thread you have so many people saying my whiskey looks like Ravello and my Ravello is too much like whiskey, this cigar seems like Ravello.......etc.

These are color accurate from the Leffot run in ~2013

They have a lot of Red.

 

 

Also below is a Carmina in Color 8. 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Carmina) (Click to show)

 

 

Keep in mind that Alden refinishes their Color 8 with a dyed acrylic spray that adds a ton of color.

post #16987 of 19320
As usual, beautiful B! Your Leffot #8 are the benchmark I measure all others against!
post #16988 of 19320

PSA....Notre is running a sale with 25% off which appears to work on their in stock Vibergs.....unfortunately, there is nothing in my size.

post #16989 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYDRH View Post
 

Yep to me it is an entirely different product, and not why I started buying Viberg Boots. It is a completely different look, and Im not ever going to put such a hurting on my footwear that their ability to survive nuclear winter will come into question so Im much more interested in style, not that I dont care about quality of construction.  I'm sure they are no less durable, no less well made than their stitchdown counterparts and alot of effort has been put into making them, it is just not something I want or what I associate with the brand.  If I wanted to buy a GYW boot, I think there are other choices out there that I prefer.

 

I feel the same way. I don't mind the GYW - I have a pair of the derbies in charcoal calf on GYW and love the look. I think for a shoe it's fine as it's a different animal for me. The boots, however, somehow lose their charm without that stitch down look. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the shape just changes and it really becomes a different boot. I think a lot of the resistance to the GYW is not the durability question but simply that it boils down to aesthetics: you just can't beat that stitch down profile and you can't have it on a GYW. 

post #16990 of 19320

Afternoon 310s

post #16991 of 19320

Sale code won't work on the new suede makeups.

post #16992 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxaz View Post
 

Sale code won't work on the new suede makeups.

 

Seems to be working for me on the suede service boots

post #16993 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxaz View Post
 

Sale code won't work on the new suede makeups.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozwah View Post
 

 

Seems to be working for me on the suede service boots

Worked for me. Also picked up some anonymousism socks.

post #16994 of 19320
Had to sell my new horsehide boots because I don't care who you are but partial structure on GYW fits a half size smaller than the same last on SD. I think the latter offers more comfort and side to side mobility.

The good news is I picked up the natural chromepak make up from the restock. The color might be funny to start with but after one day of wear they are already showing so much promise. It's SD and 2030 for me from now on or bust!
post #16995 of 19320
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvaments View Post

Worked for me. Also picked up some anonymousism socks.
That's strange. I called and talked to someone at the shop and he said no on the suede so I didn't even try. I'm glad it worked for you guys though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Viberg Boots