or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Viberg Boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Viberg Boots - Page 998

post #14956 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkotsko View Post


You may be able to convince Brett to do a 5 eyelet chukka or similar, no?
That boot the OP showed didn't loo like a 6" boot. 

It was. I've actually asked Guy about it in particular. It was a one off for someone at Cabourn. It's what Viberg used to call the 1950s service boot. A lot of the European stockists had similar make ups with 5 or 6 eyelets in last two years or so. I also think that just asking can't hurt if there are enough folks here interested. After all, it isn't altering something fundamental (like x number of rows of stitching, etc).

5 or 6 eyelet poll anyone?
post #14957 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by slude View Post
 

 

I just ordered that same model on Sunday!  Those pics are making me more excited.


I think you will really enjoy them and I am surprised they haven't sold out since it is such a great color and the leather has character.

post #14958 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv View Post

It was. I've actually asked Guy about it in particular. It was a one off for someone at Cabourn. It's what Viberg used to call the 1950s service boot. A lot of the European stockists had similar make ups with 5 or 6 eyelets in last two years or so. I also think that just asking can't hurt if there are enough folks here interested. After all, it isn't altering something fundamental (like x number of rows of stitching, etc).

5 or 6 eyelet poll anyone?

No sense doing a poll, since it's not something I am going to go to Brett with.  Honestly, at this point, our being allowed to do our program is very much at risk, and will probably depend on part in your going through me, (i.e. not approaching Viberg directly) and by not trying to backend the process.  

 

I know that if and when we do a program again, there will be probably less of a wide open feel, and instead, I may ask specific members to work with me to design specific boots, in conjunction with Brett, that we will then present to the community to narrow down to the boots that we like best.  Of course, the boots will be geared towards the community, but it will most likely NOT be a wide open process.  This would be a compromise between the way I do things (very populist) and the way that Brett does them (very directional - with a clear vision of how he wants specific boots to look).

 

It's a pretty common myth that it doesn't hurt to ask.  Truth is, it often does.  I know that I've cut off troublesome clients in several businesses because they have been just too much trouble/can't get with the program.  I've got no interest in becoming one of those "too much trouble" clients for Viberg.

post #14959 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemononame View Post
 

Did somebody say MTO?  Oil-tanned brown leather and Bologna rubber soles would have been perfect for today's drizzly cold weather.

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

I want this shoe......or maybe a GMTO hall of fame Half Japanese with a captoe this time(it did not have a cap toe last time right?)

post #14960 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv View Post

It was. I've actually asked Guy about it in particular. It was a one off for someone at Cabourn. It's what Viberg used to call the 1950s service boot. A lot of the European stockists had similar make ups with 5 or 6 eyelets in last two years or so. I also think that just asking can't hurt if there are enough folks here interested. After all, it isn't altering something fundamental (like x number of rows of stitching, etc).

5 or 6 eyelet poll anyone?

No sense doing a poll, since it's not something I am going to go to Brett with.  Honestly, at this point, our being allowed to do our program is very much at risk, and will probably depend on part in your going through me, (i.e. not approaching Viberg directly) and by not trying to backend the process.  

 

I know that if and when we do a program again, there will be probably less of a wide open feel, and instead, I may ask specific members to work with me to design specific boots, in conjunction with Brett, that we will then present to the community to narrow down to the boots that we like best.  Of course, the boots will be geared towards the community, but it will most likely NOT be a wide open process.  This would be a compromise between the way I do things (very populist) and the way that Brett does them (very directional - with a clear vision of how he wants specific boots to look).

 

It's a pretty common myth that it doesn't hurt to ask.  Truth is, it often does.  I know that I've cut off troublesome clients in several businesses because they have been just too much trouble/can't get with the program.  I've got no interest in becoming one of those "too much trouble" clients for Viberg.

 

Clearly we would all like our own opinions up for a vote...however if that is not going to be the case then the main things I would like to see are stitchdown models only, unique leathers, a derby, and lasts other than the 2030(I happen to love 2030 but they are common)

post #14961 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlygiant View Post
 

Feels like Viberg has more restrictions than most other brands lately for their MTOs. I'm not complaining at all as the option is still greatly appreciated and Brett obviously has the right to maintain his brand image.

I think that this is probably the right attitude to cultivate.  Everyone in business, and particular in the fashion business, knows that brands are very careful with their image and distribution strategy, particularly in this day and age, where information is transmitted instantaneously.  And Styleforum is hardly under the radar.  We have a nearly completely public process, and a lot of people look at this site, so it does serve as a bellweather for how things are being done and how things will be done in the future.  I'll take care of you guys best that I can, but it does require that we are on a united front and understand how things are, realistically.

post #14962 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

 

Clearly we would all like our own opinions up for a vote...however if that is not going to be the case then the main things I would like to see are stitchdown models only, unique leathers, a derby, and lasts other than the 2030(I happen to love 2030 but they are common)

So, opinions like this are really reasonable, and they can help me guide the creative process.  

 

However, arguing about the number of eyelets or whatever, when I've told you guys specifically that these are not options, is not particularly productive.

post #14963 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna75 View Post

Clearly we would all like our own opinions up for a vote...however if that is not going to be the case then the main things I would like to see are stitchdown models only, unique leathers, a derby, and lasts other than the 2030(I happen to love 2030 but they are common)
So, opinions like this are really reasonable, and they can help me guide the creative process.  

However, arguing about the number of eyelets or whatever, when I've told you guys specifically that these are not options, is not particularly productive.

I think one difficulty is that we don't know what the restrictions are until we hear that something that has been done before is now restricted, like stitch down on certain materials and certain sole choices.

What if we had a web form to generate makeups? If we had a specific list of materials allowed, which of those can be stitch down, sole options, eyelet options, gusset/pull tab options, structure, cap toes, etc, we could take a lot of the complexity out of the process.
post #14964 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgleason View Post

I think one difficulty is that we don't know what the restrictions are until we hear that something that has been done before is now restricted, like stitch down on certain materials and certain sole choices.

What if we had a web form to generate makeups? If we had a specific list of materials allowed, which of those can be stitch down, sole options, eyelet options, gusset/pull tab options, structure, cap toes, etc, we could take a lot of the complexity out of the process.

Mainly because a creative process is not so quantifiable, and it's not the way Brett works. He and it are much more intuitive.
post #14965 of 19284

Just in on the Viberg Instagram feed. Chelsea boots in Arabica Calf Suede.

 

 

Personally I prefer these, Service Boots in natural, vegetable tanned horse butt.

 

post #14966 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sask boot View Post
 

 

 


Brooklyn carries a lot of great Vibergs but when I walked in these jumped out at me.  They have some texture on the sides that give them character.  I have the bison and these are as interesting but in a different way.  The owner and staff were helpful and easy to talk to.  If you are ever in Calgary you need to stop in.  A great selection of jeans and jackets also.

Great Pictures! What colour is that?

post #14967 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

So, opinions like this are really reasonable, and they can help me guide the creative process.  

However, arguing about the number of eyelets or whatever, when I've told you guys specifically that these are not options, is not particularly productive.

I wasn't trying to nitpick for no good reason. Just tying to navigate this process. I know you say it's transparent and that everyone can look at this site to determine what is going on, it isn't always entirely clear when things are buried in a 1000 page thread.

I really wanted in on the Gandalf boot last round but the whole pull tab issue (as minor of a detail as eyelets) got in the way. Not placing any blame as it was clearly no one person's fault, but for those of us interested it raises questions about the process and I think it is in fact productive to hash these things out now before voting or suggestion season begins.

In any case, 7 or 8 eyelets, got it. Now- regarding lasts, just because 2030 is ubiquitous doesn't mean it should be off the table. I think rare/interesting leathers should be the first order of concern. What's available, etc.
post #14968 of 19284

Has a natural CXL, cap toe, stitchdown, 110 last, commando sole or dainite sole ever been done? Pretty sure that's my dream Viberg boot.

post #14969 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by linafelt View Post

2045 even better!
Agreed! I love my Fat Waxed Flesh on the 110, but I find the 2045 better suited for Boondockers.

Count me in for a pair of 2045 Boondockers with structured (or partially structured) toe and corded sole.
post #14970 of 19284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviv View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

So, opinions like this are really reasonable, and they can help me guide the creative process.  

However, arguing about the number of eyelets or whatever, when I've told you guys specifically that these are not options, is not particularly productive.

I wasn't trying to nitpick for no good reason. Just tying to navigate this process. I know you say it's transparent and that everyone can look at this site to determine what is going on, it isn't always entirely clear when things are buried in a 1000 page thread.

I really wanted in on the Gandalf boot last round but the whole pull tab issue (as minor of a detail as eyelets) got in the way. Not placing any blame as it was clearly no one person's fault, but for those of us interested it raises questions about the process and I think it is in fact productive to hash these things out now before voting or suggestion season begins.

In any case, 7 or 8 eyelets, got it. Now- regarding lasts, just because 2030 is ubiquitous doesn't mean it should be off the table. I think rare/interesting leathers should be the first order of concern. What's available, etc.

 

I don't think 2030 should be off the table for a unique leather...but personally I don't want to see a GYW 2030 derby or boot in the GMTO. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Viberg Boots