or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Viberg Boots
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Viberg Boots - Page 99

post #1471 of 7448

Gentlemen,

 

I'm in for B with a Dainite Sole as well.

 

Allow me to propose this engineer boot http://www.ushowu.com/viberg-83-engineer-soft

My idea is the same makeup but using Brown Chromexcel or natural Chromexcel.

post #1472 of 7448
Very cool of LA Guy to take the time to take the lead on these MTO's. that being said, it's important that everybody understand the 2030. I do not mean to rain on parades. I just don't want everybody to make the mistake that I made and order a new boot in the 2030 with inaccurate sizing and false expectations. Vibergs are my favorite boots, but they are work boots. Please read below before sizing/ordering.

First, the 2030 is either a half size smaller or TTS to your normal US sizing. To size your boots as if Viberg sizing in the 2030 is the same as UK sizing will get you a shoe that is too small. When Leffot did the shell #8 Service Boot, everybody pre-ordered in a full size smaller than their US sizing and Leffot had to re-size every order due to the last.

Prior to the Leffot boot, I had ordered a shell boot from Viberg in a 2030 and that boot too was too narrow, too small and had too little room in the toe box

Not sure if you guys have tried on a 2030, but it's very narrow. You might want to make sure that they fit before throwing down a non-refundable deposit. I am a D width in Alden and and M in Trickers and the 2030 (as is) is too narrow and too low for my feet, which are on the narrower side of a D width. I am not a fan of a sprung toe or an over-accentuated toe box, but the Viberg 2030 , although sleek when new, is a bit tricky. Because it is unlined and the toe is very flat, the boot will quickly soften up and it will take on a broken in look. I like this look for many of my boots, but after reading many of the entries here, it appears that people want the 2030 and these make-ups because they are sleeker and more elegant than the other lasts.

Similar lasts (and even more sleek last like the Plaza) in Alden have a reinforced toe box. Without the reinforcement, the toe box tends to indent and very quickly, the elegance of the narrow boot disappears and the other Viberg lasts, which seem more casual and wide when new (2040, 2045), all of a sudden in time and with use, appear far more structured and less worn than the 2030.

As far as leathers, I would go with Horween Chromexcel or Calf. Horsehide boots are very nice and durable, but probably not what you want if you want sleek or refined. Cordovan is too hard to get from Viberg and very expensive.

I would just order a boot in a non-French calf if you really want to get a black boot. French Calf is a beautiful leather, but is expensive and, in my opinion, it makes little sense to get a black boot in a fine leather whose beauty is really only apparent in lighter colors.

If you can try on a 2030, do yourself a favor and get your sizing right. As far as the other options (other than material), go with what you want. I would avoid fancy leathers (French Calf, Horsehide, Kangaroo and Cordovan) if you are getting a black boot, but that's just me.

I am pretty sure that the 2045, 2040 or 110 are the boots that would appeal/fit the most and that the 2030 is the one last that is far too narrow for most people. Like others, I agree that any MTO through Styleforum should be on a different last.
post #1473 of 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbear View Post

This is pretty close to what my proposal would look like...for those interested in an oxford.

 

 

 

 

Is there any other Vibram sole other than the 2060 that has a better distinction between the heel & ball of the feet? This looks very similar to the Christy sole  

post #1474 of 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqblackbook View Post

First, the 2030 is either a half size smaller or TTS to your normal US sizing. To size your boots as if Viberg sizing in the 2030 is the same as UK sizing will get you a shoe that is too small. When Leffot did the shell #8 Service Boot, everybody pre-ordered in a full size smaller than their US sizing and Leffot had to re-size every order due to the last.

Prior to the Leffot boot, I had ordered a shell boot from Viberg in a 2030 and that boot too was too narrow, too small and had too little room in the toe box

Not sure if you guys have tried on a 2030, but it's very narrow. You might want to make sure that they fit before throwing down a non-refundable deposit. I am a D width in Alden and and M in Trickers and the 2030 (as is) is too narrow and too low for my feet, which are on the narrower side of a D width. I am not a fan of a sprung toe or an over-accentuated toe box, but the Viberg 2030 , although sleek when new, is a bit tricky. Because it is unlined and the toe is very flat, the boot will quickly soften up and it will take on a broken in look. I like this look for many of my boots, but after reading many of the entries here, it appears that people want the 2030 and these make-ups because they are sleeker and more elegant than the other lasts.

Similar lasts (and even more sleek last like the Plaza) in Alden have a reinforced toe box. Without the reinforcement, the toe box tends to indent and very quickly, the elegance of the narrow boot disappears and the other Viberg lasts, which seem more casual and wide when new (2040, 2045), all of a sudden in time and with use, appear far more structured and less worn than the 2030.

As far as leathers, I would go with Horween Chromexcel or Calf. Horsehide boots are very nice and durable, but probably not what you want if you want sleek or refined. Cordovan is too hard to get from Viberg and very expensive.

I would just order a boot in a non-French calf if you really want to get a black boot. French Calf is a beautiful leather, but is expensive and, in my opinion, it makes little sense to get a black boot in a fine leather whose beauty is really only apparent in lighter colors.

If you can try on a 2030, do yourself a favor and get your sizing right. As far as the other options (other than material), go with what you want. I would avoid fancy leathers (French Calf, Horsehide, Kangaroo and Cordovan) if you are getting a black boot, but that's just me.

I am pretty sure that the 2045, 2040 or 110 are the boots that would appeal/fit the most and that the 2030 is the one last that is far too narrow for most people. Like others, I agree that any MTO through Styleforum should be on a different last.

 

 

The 2030 last is one of the worst lasts I have ever tried on. I have no idea how it became so popular. You basically have to be an A or B width with super long thin toes to fit that last. I had the 4Horseman collab boots and, I'm not joking, they bruised both of my big toenails(TMI) during the first wear. And there is no way I can size up in that last because they would just be way too long in the toebox. 110 all day.

post #1475 of 7448
I find that the 2030 is narrow and elongated (I'm comparing this to the 110s I got today). However, for me, the main thing that I think that you guys ought to think about is whether your feet are as thick as mine. The 2030 is pretty shallow through the midfoot, so if you have fallen arches, or a non-skinny foot, you might think about requesting another last. Guy recommended the 2040 last for me for my second pair, as an alternative to the , but I asked for the 110 last, because I wanted something more substantial and chunkier.

I don't what what you guys wear other than Vibergs, but I am a UK 9.5 in the Trickers 4497 last, a UK 9 in the Trickers 4444 last, and the Viberg 110 last in UK 9.5 fits between those two lasts. The 2030, ime. fits more like the 4497 last, but more narrow and long in the toebox and more shallow in the midfoot. For general reference, I wear size 43 in every sneaker I've ever encountered on the Serena sole that is used by Common Projects, Wings+Horns, and Buttero, among others.

Re "sleek". Unlike esqbb, I'm not convinced that it is not "sleek" when broken in. It's not sleek in the sense of a dress shoe, but in the sense of a low profile streetwear shoe. I think that Andrew Chen's pair can be considered both rugged and slender:
post #1476 of 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino19 View Post

Is there any other Vibram sole other than the 2060 that has a better distinction between the heel & ball of the feet? This looks very similar to the Christy sole  
Vibram has tons of soles. It supplies soles for just about every application. Most people just prefer a wedge sole on a more rugged boot. However, I have some Trickers chukkas on a Gumlite sole that works really well. It's much more a "dress" sole than any of the Moreflex Vibram soles we've been discussing though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanswoodsman View Post


The 2030 last is one of the worst lasts I have ever tried on. I have no idea how it became so popular. You basically have to be an A or B width with super long thin toes to fit that last. I had the 4Horseman collab boots and, I'm not joking, they bruised both of my big toenails(TMI) during the first wear. And there is no way I can size up in that last because they would just be way too long in the toebox. 110 all day.

It's not the ideal last for me either, but we may both just have fat/thick feet. Apparently, a lot of people out there can deal with a more narrow last. And incidentally, the slimmest last I've ever tried on is the Vass U last. Now that, that is narrow.
post #1477 of 7448
Great last few posts guys.

it would really help if, like Fok, people posted comparisons between brands and fits.

For example, I've recently received my pair of 2030s in Iced Mocha, bought a 9.5.

I wear a 9.5 also on the Alden Trubalance last, a 43 Common Projects Achilles, a 10.5 Converse.

It's definitely taking me a bit to break in the 2030s in 9.5, but I think I do have the kind of foot for them; thin and long.

Still, they are definitely going to take a while to break in, and some discomfort to my larger left foot (hopefully they'll stretch out!).

I'd definitely be up for other lasts, but I'm completely ignorant, would be great for some of the more erudite Viberg owners here could offer their 2 cents, as urbanwoodsman and esqblackbook have done.
post #1478 of 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqblackbook View Post

Very cool of LA Guy to take the time to take the lead on these MTO's. that being said, it's important that everybody understand the 2030. I do not mean to rain on parades. I just don't want everybody to make the mistake that I made and order a new boot in the 2030 with inaccurate sizing and false expectations. Vibergs are my favorite boots, but they are work boots. Please read below before sizing/ordering.

First, the 2030 is either a half size smaller or TTS to your normal US sizing. To size your boots as if Viberg sizing in the 2030 is the same as UK sizing will get you a shoe that is too small. When Leffot did the shell #8 Service Boot, everybody pre-ordered in a full size smaller than their US sizing and Leffot had to re-size every order due to the last.

Prior to the Leffot boot, I had ordered a shell boot from Viberg in a 2030 and that boot too was too narrow, too small and had too little room in the toe box

Not sure if you guys have tried on a 2030, but it's very narrow. You might want to make sure that they fit before throwing down a non-refundable deposit. I am a D width in Alden and and M in Trickers and the 2030 (as is) is too narrow and too low for my feet, which are on the narrower side of a D width. I am not a fan of a sprung toe or an over-accentuated toe box, but the Viberg 2030 , although sleek when new, is a bit tricky. Because it is unlined and the toe is very flat, the boot will quickly soften up and it will take on a broken in look. I like this look for many of my boots, but after reading many of the entries here, it appears that people want the 2030 and these make-ups because they are sleeker and more elegant than the other lasts.

Similar lasts (and even more sleek last like the Plaza) in Alden have a reinforced toe box. Without the reinforcement, the toe box tends to indent and very quickly, the elegance of the narrow boot disappears and the other Viberg lasts, which seem more casual and wide when new (2040, 2045), all of a sudden in time and with use, appear far more structured and less worn than the 2030.

As far as leathers, I would go with Horween Chromexcel or Calf. Horsehide boots are very nice and durable, but probably not what you want if you want sleek or refined. Cordovan is too hard to get from Viberg and very expensive.

I would just order a boot in a non-French calf if you really want to get a black boot. French Calf is a beautiful leather, but is expensive and, in my opinion, it makes little sense to get a black boot in a fine leather whose beauty is really only apparent in lighter colors.

If you can try on a 2030, do yourself a favor and get your sizing right. As far as the other options (other than material), go with what you want. I would avoid fancy leathers (French Calf, Horsehide, Kangaroo and Cordovan) if you are getting a black boot, but that's just me.

I am pretty sure that the 2045, 2040 or 110 are the boots that would appeal/fit the most and that the 2030 is the one last that is far too narrow for most people. Like others, I agree that any MTO through Styleforum should be on a different last.

 

Hey man, was your Viberg in the 2030 a D or E width?  During my MTO discussion w/ Morgan, he says they don't do the 2030 in D, just E.  Curious if yours was a D and getting an E would alleviate some of the issues.

post #1479 of 7448
I think that if the E width is available in the 2030, that we'd definitely do for that. It's probably going to make a better fit for a lot of people.

Incidentally, in the poll, the "distressing" for the excavated boot can be optional. It could also be bought purely as a pure black, slim, boot. I personally think that the distressing is cool, but in case we do the first "Standard" boot with a dainite sole and a natural welt, and you are looking for pure black boot on a leather sole, that boot, undistressed, might be a good option for you.

I know that I just broke my first rule, but let's keep the discussion of specific, proposed makeups on the MTO thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/358489/styleforummarket-viberg-x-styleforum-mto-orders-the-inaugural-edition/0_50
a consolidated discussion of options is a lot easier to follow and keep track/abreast of.

Cheers,

Fok.
post #1480 of 7448
Does viberg have a brown leather with reddish tones, would be interested in an color similar to the 403 Indy but preferably not CXL
post #1481 of 7448
2045! 2045!
post #1482 of 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn666 View Post

btw. wouldn't the 110 last be an option for voting? just for those that can't really fit the 2030 cuz of their wide ass feet (such as me)? smile.gif

+1

I'd like to see something WAF folks could wear..........
post #1483 of 7448
2030 was an E width. I don't mean to sound racist, but I think that the Japanese market tends to have smaller and more narrow feet. This may be the reason why these boots have been so popular. I have a normal foot and I am an 8 medium in Trickers and a 9D in the Alden Barrie. I wear a 9 in the 2045 and an 8.5-9 in the 2030, but the 2030 is incredibly uncomfortable and unless your foot is very small, the toe box will crease and indent I stead of keeping its shape. I like the 2045

2045 - Below!



post #1484 of 7448
Anytime you find yourself about to start a sentence by saying, "I don't mean to sound racist, but..." you should probably just stay quiet
post #1485 of 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by esqblackbook View Post

2030 was an E width. I don't mean to sound racist, but I think that the Japanese market tends to have smaller and more narrow feet. This may be the reason why these boots have been so popular. I have a normal foot and I am an 8 medium in Trickers and a 9D in the Alden Barrie. I wear a 9 in the 2045 and an 8.5-9 in the 2030, but the 2030 is incredibly uncomfortable and unless your foot is very small, the toe box will crease and indent I stead of keeping its shape. I like the 2045

2045 - Below!



Japanese have wider & smaller feet indeed.

When Japanese custom-order shoes, they generally tend to go with EE(very wide), which I think is 110 last in Viberg.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Viberg Boots