• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

$5000 Shoe Budget - Suggestions Needed

dreamtripper

Reaction score
My current shoe collection consists mostly of Ferragamos and Allen Edmonds and I'm thinking of re-vamping it.

What would you pick if you had $5000 budget for dress/business casual shoes? Ideally, I'd like to get 3-4 in black and 2-3 in different shades of brown.

Thanks for your suggestions!

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were going to drop $5000 on shoes all at once, I would get a bespoke last from Springline and 3 pairs of AS Handgrade made on that last: A black captoe oxford, a brown medallion oxford, and maybe a burgundy wholecut.

Remember that there's probably nothing wrong with your Ferragamos and AEs. Don't believe the hype -- both are perfectly good brands.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black

EG Chelsea ($1200)
Vass Old English II ($800)

Brown

EG Ladbroke Chestnut ($1200)
C&J Audley dark brown (Ben Silver) ($700)
C&J Chukka boot dark brown suede ($500)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dreamtripper
My current shoe collection consists mostly of Ferragamos and Allen Edmonds and I'm thinking of re-vamping it. What would you pick if you had $5000 budget for dress/business casual shoes? Ideally, I'd like to get 3-4 in black and 2-3 in different shades of brown. Thanks for your suggestions!
You could get a couple benchgrade C&J's from PediWear or Bodiley's. (Each sub $400 because there's no VAT) Or Alden's. Maybe throw in some Edward Green's from B&S for good measure. There's a "megathread" going on currently.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Black
C&J Audley dark brown (Ben Silver) ($700)
C&J Chukka boot dark brown suede ($500)

The Audley could be had for $550 on the British EStores...
C&J suede chukka (Chiltern) goes for $360

Dexx

Reaction score
My suggestion: Invest 3k and buy 4-5 essentials for 400 $ each. If you hunt for special offers you will get good quality shoes (C&J, Quarfiv, Santoni, Carmina and so on). Above that you buy less and less quality for each dollar spent. I would never shell out that much money at once for shoes.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
The Audley could be had for $550 on the British EStores... C&J suede chukka (Chiltern) goes for $360
Where do you get C&J shoes (any shoe) for $360? At the current exchange rate, the Chiltern is $433 from Pediwear, and the Tetbury (which I like much better) is $505. Also, I suppose if I had no shoes right now and $5000, I would do what aportnoy said, just because he's, like, a shoe fairy.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
The Audley could be had for $550 on the British EStores...
C&J suede chukka (Chiltern) goes for $360

I meant the Albany, sorry. I have only seen that model from Ben Silver.

Dexx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Where do you get C&J shoes (any shoe) for $360? At the current exchange rate, the Chiltern is $433 from Pediwear, and the Tetbury (which I like much better) is $505.

Also, I suppose if I had no shoes right now and $5000, I would do what aportnoy said, just because he's, like, a shoe fairy.

Look for clearances or slight seconds constantly. Even Trickers ( http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/retricker1829/ ) sells on ebay for less than 400 $ each. If you want to get the most value out of each dollar, you need be active.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LouisVuitton has the coolest loafers around now. Check out their summer 2011 collection. High grade quality although you're going to pay a premium for the luxury. My favorites are the blue boat shoes.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Where do you get C&J shoes (any shoe) for $360? At the current exchange rate, the Chiltern is $433 from Pediwear, and the Tetbury (which I like much better) is $505.

The Chiltern is 225 sterling on Pediwear, or $360. Us Americans get the special VAT subtracted price. Are you not an Amuuurican? (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/253.php)

Not a fan of the Tetbury's pointy last. Round toes all the way.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EG chelsea in black
G&G Burlington in vintage rioja
Vass budapest oxford in antique congac calf
C&J belgrave suede
Churches sahara or ryder 3

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads